New Project

Moorman 1

On 01/02/2023 at 20:31, Elchapo said:

Can't see how catching a hare with a 2lb hawk is less sporting than watching a dog chase it for 4 minits then crunch it lol 

You seen a bird fly a Hare?  A battle yes I agree, but chasing the fastest animal in the cuntry for a 10/20 seconds chase at most isn't giving the quarry it's best chance.

The bird on bird thing is, I think the most sporting and fairly matched. A good Pheasant that can ditch in cover, or a heavy fast duck taken by a Falcon is pretty spectacular. 

I'm not say that catching rabbits isn't great action, because it is. It just seems easy, "if" you know what you're doing and Moorman, you seen to have sussed it. Well done geezer.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out for first manning session, getting him used to his surroundings and the dog running around.   

A few more 

Started the ball rolling.  First kill in the bag, off a nice point.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, leegreen said:

You seen a bird fly a Hare?  A battle yes I agree, but chasing the fastest animal in the cuntry for a 10/20 seconds chase at most isn't giving the quarry it's best chance.

The bird on bird thing is, I think the most sporting and fairly matched. A good Pheasant that can ditch in cover, or a heavy fast duck taken by a Falcon is pretty spectacular. 

I'm not say that catching rabbits isn't great action, because it is. It just seems easy, "if" you know what you're doing and Moorman, you seen to have sussed it. Well done geezer.

Yes flown plenty hare with birds and the catch rate is a lot less  than with a dog , a bird has one chance ( most the time ) to bind to its quarry not multiple like a dog has putting bend after bend after bend in it , there plenty videos on YouTube of birds taking hare out of the seat making it look easy but that'd far from the truth they didn't put up the 5/6/7 misses they had that day just the one of the catch , a bird binding to its hare is no guarantee of a catch as they often get chucked off , a dog once it has its teeth in a hare is done for , I've had birds have there talons ripped out by buck rabbits and hares , as some one who has flown plenty of hares with a bird and ran them with a dog  I'd have to disagree that there less sporting than with a dog , unless me most the other falconers I know just  have shit birds 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, leegreen said:

I find the David and Goliath struggle of a bird taking a hare approx 4 times it's  weight a huge challenge. That's why a lot of wild hawks learn the hard way and won't take on a hare. It is a big ask.

With all forms of falconry it's down to the human element to set up sporting slips. Don't slip on a hare in it's form or stand by the hole when ferreting or slip on game birds on the ground. Stand back and get someone to flush the game and slip when in motion at a decent distance. Watching a hawk take game in it's natural surroundings under sporting conditions is what it's all about.

Oh and yes I have taken hares with hawks.

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Moorman 1 said:

Final flight of the season. It was an excellent mark from the dog, a cracking bolt from the ferret and an outstanding take from the hawk. So a good note to finish on! #35

20230319_133234.jpg

20230319_133245.jpg

20230319_133856.jpg

Well done mate ? ? 

• Thanks 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...