Cctv question

I am thinking of putting some cctv up, and I would like some advice from anyone who has any experience of putting there own up, firstly I know or have been told to hard wire it in, however I want to ask if anyone knows of a system that will take both hard wired and wireless cameras, or even if it can be done, what kind of range have the wireless cameras, you read all sorts of stuff on line, but I wanted the facts, anyone use a wireless system  if so are they worth getting, 

Can anyone point out a good system to buy or even a bad one to avoid? 

11 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Ring are  good and not overly dear. Can be linked to WiFi and goes straight to phone 

I've got a few wireless ring cameras about the place,  they're  OK  they do the job , just their presence is usually enough to put most people off being naughty lol

RingVideo_20201113_164129_1_1.gif

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

We had over 40 cars done in our estate a couple weeks ago. Couple cameras caught the drunk Cnut in his 40s doing it, but still cops can’t do nowt about it, I suggest you pay for as good as you can afford?

That's right, some blurred image is pointless for a prosecution  point of view,or even if you decide to find out who it is and take things on yourself.you may aswell put up fake cameras if you want a deterrent. Any of those screwfix crap is not worth it.swann is laughed at by cctv businesses. Depends what you want to protect.i had a shit camera up the end of my drive,but changed it for hikvision mp7 zoomable.came home my electric  gates had been smashed off,and my hedge ripped out.looked at camera and  saw a grab truck reverse in smash them to bits.rang up the company,and basically the driver denied it,so the boss said have you got the lorry reg number,I zoomed in and bingo, sent the video to him no arguments.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kanny said:

I've got a few wireless ring cameras about the place,  they're  OK  they do the job , just their presence is usually enough to put most people off being naughty lol

RingVideo_20201113_164129_1_1.gif

So how far are they away from the system what range will they still work at do you know ?? My house is old and an odd shape 

7 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

Was it daft money to get installed 

Wasn't cheap, but he's done a proper job, and any problems he'll come round and sort it.

If it was up to me I would've ended up doing a crap job and damaging the house lol

44 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

So how far are they away from the system what range will they still work at do you know ?? My house is old and an odd shape 

Just use a PIR sensor, no camera or light  ,have it so pir sets off a light in your bedroom, grab bat and give justice ?

• Like 1

I'd hard wire them,if it's on house,get a decent monitor ,I have a monitor beside TV,and also next to my bed.my cameras are ducted 200mtrs from monitor up my drive,I can change,or upgrade cable easily if needed. Keep the cobwebs off em tho,can't see shit.i have a cheap low down camera too,it reads vehicles number plate as the pull up to gate.

1 hour ago, 3175darren said:

That one on the drive that I've shown is around 20 metres away  we do use a single booster also,  I'd say that's about on the limit unless  you added more boosters then theoretically it's limitless as long as you have a plug socket to plug a booster into.

If that makes sense 

• Like 1