Rabbit numbers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes   the areas that I'm employed to rabbit on, now has low numbers, due to my efforts over the last 25 years .On the one hand I'm pleased ,I've done a pretty good job & on the other I know my ope

Yes , RHD does behave in that manner, in some spots the rabbits found there have a higher immunity level than others that live near by. These animals breed some kits in a litter that can carry that sa

I can only comment on the RVHD and the effect it had on New Zealand rabbits,20 odd years ago it killed thousands apron thousands(95%) but very slowly the pockets built up to about 85-90% of the popula

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Ciaran2140 said:

What’s everyone’s opinion on why the rabbit numbers are so down the last few years in Ireland, has it ever went like this before?

Man made viruses ,predictors we’ve had numbers dropping for about the last 10yrs here in the uk. In a lot of places in the uk a dog just bred for rabbit work can hardly be called a rabbit dog these days there’s still some places in the uk the further up north you go still holds decent numbers but as you come down the uk the number decline to nearly nothing to the odd hot spot 

37 minutes ago, poxon said:

Man made viruses ,predictors we’ve had numbers dropping for about the last 10yrs here in the uk. In a lot of places in the uk a dog just bred for rabbit work can hardly be called a rabbit dog these days there’s still some places in the uk the further up north you go still holds decent numbers but as you come down the uk the number decline to nearly nothing to the odd hot spot 

Yeah it’s the same here 90% of the place is like a desert but there’s just a few small pockets around with rabbits There’s a lot of buzzards and pine marten around lately and I’d say there not helping I wonder if the number of rabbits will rise again

38 minutes ago, Ciaran2140 said:

I’m also wondering if anyone has ever tried catching from one spot and releasing in another has anyone ever had good results or do they just die.

I have done a bit at back of mine I dropped a bout 20 in some old warrens, the first year they struggled a bit but have done ok this year 

1 minute ago, BobDown said:

I have done a bit at back of mine I dropped a bout 20 in some old warrens, the first year they struggled a bit but have done ok this year 

Have you noticed a increase in numbers since you put them there or are they just staying around the same

1 hour ago, poxon said:

thats true, i think it deff gone don hill, he last  8 -10years , i can remember  , there were few places back then, when  i started out with bryn 14 years ago , i could few good bags a week 15 a night  that 60 a month, quite regular , and if i went out to places in my car  which i did with jim  and his dog , we get 60 in a night , couple seasons like this, the numbers soon drop down, but even up the dales , the lads dont get as many now, there old saying , you can only kill them once ."  if ever got another lurcher , i deff  not just get a rabbit dog , i get  somthing that could take othr quarry , even if you didnt want to take them , no point just walking round for rabbits if there not there .?

• Like 2

The main issue is RVHD we got in England a few years before Ireland as I understand it but it’s a fairly nasty disease with anywhere from 5-95% mortality. I keep telling myself that rabbits are born survivors and mixi wiped out 99% of all rabbits and they made a (relatively) quick recovery to get up to decent numbers before RVHD hit. Main thing I would say is don’t hammer the ones that have survived or they will never recover. It will take at least 10 years probably but hopefully will happen, don’t underestimate the humble rabbit!

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

The main issue is RVHD we got in England a few years before Ireland as I understand it but it’s a fairly nasty disease with anywhere from 5-95% mortality. I keep telling myself that rabbits are born survivors and mixi wiped out 99% of all rabbits and they made a (relatively) quick recovery to get up to decent numbers before RVHD hit. Main thing I would say is don’t hammer the ones that have survived or they will never recover. It will take at least 10 years probably but hopefully will happen, don’t underestimate the humble rabbit!

One of my permissions has never really had a big number of rabbits. But since I been catching a few every year numbers seem to be picking up. Weather that is due to them breeding harder because I’m killing some. Or it’s just the way it is ??‍♂️ Did see a weasel earlier so that won’t help the population I wouldn’t have thought? 

8 hours ago, bird said:

thats true, i think it deff gone don hill, he last  8 -10years , i can remember  , there were few places back then, when  i started out with bryn 14 years ago , i could few good bags a week 15 a night  that 60 a month, quite regular , and if i went out to places in my car  which i did with jim  and his dog , we get 60 in a night , couple seasons like this, the numbers soon drop down, but even up the dales , the lads dont get as many now, there old saying , you can only kill them once ."  if ever got another lurcher , i deff  not just get a rabbit dog , i get  somthing that could take othr quarry , even if you didnt want to take them , no point just walking round for rabbits if there not there .?

What you thinking next ray saluki bull whip?

50 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

The main issue is rvhd yes and the second biggest issue is the lads going and killing the survivors. 

3 minutes ago, gnipper said:

The main issue is rvhd yes and the second biggest issue is the lads going and killing the survivors. 

As I said don’t hammer the survivors or you have no chance. You used to be able to go hard at them and they would recover well but not anymore with RVHD, I have noticed if you take to many they take years to get back. I barely use a net anymore just bolt to the dog, he misses loads but that means they are there to breed. Ferreting with purse nets or well set long nets is a brutally effective method of pest control.