Can they improve?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's nothing new. Always been Muppets, be nothing wrong with plenty of them dogs. Swap a coursing type for lamper, then a terrier, then a air gun etc. Or selling a ten week old pup because the lass ha

I can keep a huge number of working dogs ,I do so because I can & I enjoy it ,its the whole point of the game ,and without doubt I can say given some age and plenty of work they all do improve .So

Some people want instant results with young dogs some dont put the effort in and have little patience. Do your best hope for the best but you cant put in what nature left out.

Posted Images

17 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

This is what I'm hoping, once she gets around them bolting she will realise she's capable of catching and hoping give her that confidence to do it 

It's about giving them the best chance of catching and ferreting got to be best way in my opinion ,have you got nets ? I ask because have a few I gift you if you need them ,always good to help others.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

It's about giving them the best chance of catching and ferreting got to be best way in my opinion ,have you got nets ? I ask because have a few I gift you if you need them ,always good to help others.

Yeah ferreting definitely got to put the odds in their favour. Got plenty of nets pal, been ferreting since I was about 6, but thank you for the offer, really appreciated. 

On 19/08/2021 at 05:01, scottpenn28 said:

Hi all, 

My pup isn't 12 months old until January so won't be doing much at all with her this year as big believer in ruining dogs if started hard too early.

Have recently seen a massive amount of lurchers for sale that are just turned a year old and even lurchers up to 5 year old for sale/swap. I'm assuming these dogs aren't making the grade that the owner wants. However from my own experience working spaniels, a spaniel may not be at its full trained potential for 4/5 years anyway. 

Can lurchers not be improved with training? If my lurcher doesn't have the stamina I need it to then I'm under the impression I can train its stamina. Surely with age an experience the majority of lurchers will become better hunters purely through experience? 

Can lurchers be improved or is the amount currently for sale/swap just the owners being lazy and not wanting to out the time and effort in? 

forgive me if im being dumb or naive but my first lurcher im bringing on and am genuinely curious if people don't think running dogs can improve

I think the stamina comes down to breeding mostly but you have to keep the dogs fit as if you want to see them at their best. A lot of hunters write young dogs off before they are physically and mentally mature so you can often get a good dog off these wankers. Nobody is going to sell a top hunter at 4/5 unless the owner is sick or other personal reasons that the dog is going to waste. Nearly all dogs improve with age up to their age letting them down.