Can they improve?

17 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

Like I say I'm under the impression that any dog can improve but with dogs being sold off at a year old or 18 months, is this people not wanting to put the effort in or have they a duff pup? I cant imagine at 18 months old a dog is anywhere near its full potential 

Most popular age for young lurchers to be sold as at that age they are like a stubborn teenager and have selectiff hearing lol and people lose the plot with them 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's nothing new. Always been Muppets, be nothing wrong with plenty of them dogs. Swap a coursing type for lamper, then a terrier, then a air gun etc. Or selling a ten week old pup because the lass ha

I can keep a huge number of working dogs ,I do so because I can & I enjoy it ,its the whole point of the game ,and without doubt I can say given some age and plenty of work they all do improve .So

Some people want instant results with young dogs some dont put the effort in and have little patience. Do your best hope for the best but you cant put in what nature left out.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

I always start mine ferreting and soon makes them sharp ,give them few bolters .

This is what I'm hoping, once she gets around them bolting she will realise she's capable of catching and hoping give her that confidence to do it 

2 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

Yes lurchers can improve in time But a good dog man knows from early age want type of dog its going to make now adays it's hard to get pups from good working dogs all this pet breeding fcking it all up and take it from me most lurchers don't make the grade in my eyes But personally its want you want out off your dog that really counts mate each to your own ?

Oh yeah I get that people who have been around them for years and years will pick up the subtle differences in a pup that will show their potential. But is there really that much scrap out there? If every owner was willing to put the time and effort it would there still be so many dogs not making the grade? 

1 hour ago, Tyla said:

People have different desires for their dogs, someone keen on numbers or a particular quarry has different wants to someone looking for a mooching companion and there are many degrees in between. One man's trash can be another man's lifelong companion. Personally I get a massive kick out of getting the best out of the dog, I happily swap quarries or hunting styles to suit what I've got. Most dogs are good at something, it's just identifying what it is and encouraging it, but that all depends on whether the owner is happy to change their ways to suit the dog or if they want the dog for a specific job. Neither is wrong or right, just depends on the individuals involved

This is it for me, if I can get any of my dogs near to a level that I would see as being top banana then bonus! But I can't imagine ever finding that 100% dog. I could be wrong and will obviously have once in a lifetime dogs but surely they still got their flaws. My best spaniel for example is the best dog I've had...if she's working solo, but bring a bunch of dogs and a beating line and the competition goes to her head and the ginger f****r is determined to find birds before any of the others, and I mean all the birds not just the ones in her area! But im never gonna sell her or swap her because its my fault she's done that and I see it as my job to train her to do what she should be. 

1 hour ago, poxon said:

I’m a believer in a dogs first season is the deal breaker if that dog is a keeper and your friend or not. I’m a believer in building a dog up steady an giving it fair cop making the dog believe it’s the best thing since sliced bread to hit the field to prove its capabilities by the end of that first season in your head your know if it’s not gunner make what you want long term some times sooner . there’s no room for soppy shit or kidding your self that the dog will make what you want if you know in your head that it’s not already! 

Makes sense, still cant imagine giving up on the dog though based off its first season. I could imagine maybe after its second season realising it wasn't going to be as brilliant as I'd hoped but surely that's then on me to find a way to get everything I can from that dog. Be that swapping quarry as was suggested or improving stamina or simply letting it mature

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

I think it’s great that all these folk who want the best of the best, won’t take nowt else an can tell a slacker when they see one work, but do they make sure to give there all to them dogs, I Fcuking doubt it ??

This is the thing, all the dogs I've seen for sale or swap are either great lamling dogs or great day time dogs or world class coursing dogs.....but they are being swapped or sold?! 

24 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

Makes sense, still cant imagine giving up on the dog though based off its first season. I could imagine maybe after its second season realising it wasn't going to be as brilliant as I'd hoped but surely that's then on me to find a way to get everything I can from that dog. Be that swapping quarry as was suggested or improving stamina or simply letting it mature

why you would you change quarry mate if the dog cant do what you want try again 

1 hour ago, scottpenn28 said:

Ive kidded my self loads over the years hanging on to dogs to the point my gaff was busy with dogs kicking about that I expected more from an hopped That things would come good it never did (them days are long gone) .love for them used to get in the way
This is the type of man an I am or have become a dog has a mental contract with me for life it has a home for life with the promise of the sofa if it makes old bones with all the care an food it needs throughout its life but to get that mental contract it has to audition first…. You will be giving the best of the best to preform to your best to show me your worthy of my time for my needs If you can’t preform what’s required at time of auditions (first season) there’s sadly no home here for you you will be replaced by someone that can an will do as required 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

Oh yeah I get that people who have been around them for years and years will pick up the subtle differences in a pup that will show their potential. But is there really that much scrap out there? If every owner was willing to put the time and effort it would there still be so many dogs not making the grade? 

Yes there is really that much scrap out there mate trust me I have seen it for myself people go out killed a couple of rabbits with there dogs and think they have world beaters they wouldn't know a dog if it hit them up the face with it all show man take pictures of a couple rabbits then put up on Facebook book everyone thinks they have good dogs 

17 minutes ago, Havelightforcewilltravel said:

Yes a owned the sire he no longer with us unfortunately your bitch spit of him.

Is unfortunate as he was a cracking looking dog, and like said further up, between sire and dam, no way I could have said no to a pup!