Can they improve?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's nothing new. Always been Muppets, be nothing wrong with plenty of them dogs. Swap a coursing type for lamper, then a terrier, then a air gun etc. Or selling a ten week old pup because the lass ha

I can keep a huge number of working dogs ,I do so because I can & I enjoy it ,its the whole point of the game ,and without doubt I can say given some age and plenty of work they all do improve .So

Some people want instant results with young dogs some dont put the effort in and have little patience. Do your best hope for the best but you cant put in what nature left out.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, scottpenn28 said:

Cheers mate, shes very timid at the minute so hoping once get her around the rabbits she will gain some confidence 

so are born timid mate some right once they start hunting  become your best mate lol ive only ever had one i could get out of it if it took a tumble it would be an hour coming bk like youd done something to it could stop em aswell but had to pet off nightmare lol

6 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

so are born timid mate some right once they start hunting  become your best mate lol ive only ever had one i could get out of it if it took a tumble it would be an hour coming bk like youd done something to it could stop em aswell but had to pet off nightmare lol

Hahaha, only thing mine doesn't like coming back for currently is to go back on lead. Start ferreting in few weeks so get her amongst that to start with and see how she goes 

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

Hahaha, only thing mine doesn't like coming back for currently is to go back on lead. Start ferreting in few weeks so get her amongst that to start with and see how she goes 

I always start mine ferreting and soon makes them sharp ,give them few bolters .

• Like 1
15 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

Hi all, 

My pup isn't 12 months old until January so won't be doing much at all with her this year as big believer in ruining dogs if started hard too early.

Have recently seen a massive amount of lurchers for sale that are just turned a year old and even lurchers up to 5 year old for sale/swap. I'm assuming these dogs aren't making the grade that the owner wants. However from my own experience working spaniels, a spaniel may not be at its full trained potential for 4/5 years anyway. 

Can lurchers not be improved with training? If my lurcher doesn't have the stamina I need it to then I'm under the impression I can train its stamina. Surely with age an experience the majority of lurchers will become better hunters purely through experience? 

Can lurchers be improved or is the amount currently for sale/swap just the owners being lazy and not wanting to out the time and effort in? 

forgive me if im being dumb or naive but my first lurcher im bringing on and am genuinely curious if people don't think running dogs can improve

Yes lurchers can improve in time But a good dog man knows from early age want type of dog its going to make now adays it's hard to get pups from good working dogs all this pet breeding fcking it all up and take it from me most lurchers don't make the grade in my eyes But personally its want you want out off your dog that really counts mate each to your own ?

13 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

Possibly easier to see due to social media but could be wrong. 

Shes mainly saluki x grey but got a touch of bull in her. Tbh when I was on lookout for a pup I had so many people messaging me about dogs. But the mother and father to her were just a cut above everything else I was seeing in terms of work. 

Different to what I was originally looking for but just couldn't turn her down 

We’re did pup come from ?

People have different desires for their dogs, someone keen on numbers or a particular quarry has different wants to someone looking for a mooching companion and there are many degrees in between. One man's trash can be another man's lifelong companion. Personally I get a massive kick out of getting the best out of the dog, I happily swap quarries or hunting styles to suit what I've got. Most dogs are good at something, it's just identifying what it is and encouraging it, but that all depends on whether the owner is happy to change their ways to suit the dog or if they want the dog for a specific job. Neither is wrong or right, just depends on the individuals involved

• Like 3

I’m a believer in a dogs first season is the deal breaker if that dog is a keeper and your friend or not. I’m a believer in building a dog up steady an giving it fair cop making the dog believe it’s the best thing since sliced bread to hit the field to prove its capabilities by the end of that first season in your head your know if it’s not gunner make what you want long term some times sooner . there’s no room for soppy shit or kidding your self that the dog will make what you want if you know in your head that it’s not already!