Help needed with aggressive Harris

Lenster

I totally agree Bob :thumbs:

How this method can be conceived as ripping loads of weight of a bird is beyond me? The guy is only saying to give it one chick a day until SOME weight has come off her until she feeds off the fist, How the hell anyone thinks they are going to Mann a bird before it feeds off the fist with it bateing about everywhere is beyond me! you may get away with it with some Harris's taken up earley because of their gregariouse Nature! but if you take up a P/R Gos of say 10 weeks and think you're going to Mann it without getting a fair bit of weight of it you're in dream world....

I have had a Gos in the past edge into its seventh day before finally feeding off the fist! now are you all going to tell me this bird didn't lose alot of weight in its 7 days of fasting? its was obviousley self inflicted by the Gos but I'm Buggered if I was going to feed it until if fed from the glove.

You all need to step back a bit and read again what this guy is saying! He's 100% right in every way to get the birds weight down to feed off the fist, only then should the quality time of manning begin, trying to man a fiery bird which is bateing about of the fist is only going to cause resentment from the bird towards you! if it gets fed all the time while being Manned then this is a positive aproach which enforces a bond with the bird, half the reason I read about P/R Gos's having to be cut low to fly is because the manning forced upon the bird so you end up flying it on Hunger! baisically there's no bond with a bird manned like this, the only reason it returns to you is because its starving hungary and will always have to be flown sharp....

Jasper

well said :clapper:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a few years ago i brought a male harris of a guy ,won't mention names.. this bird was 7mths old,nutty as afruit cake,and would not eat from glove ,would hang from glove alot,so to cut along story short.first i'd just leave food at his feet of the bow,which he took ok,and day by day i use to open the door bit by bit with me close by,final the door was wide open,and i'd get closer and closer to him till the time ,then i moved him to the lawn and did same thing,finally after about 2 weeks i tryed on the fist,he didn't eat straight away,but by the end of that day he fed off the glove :thumbs: it is worth trying this method i think..

i have flown diffrent type of birds over the years and i havent had a bird that would sit there and let you man it unless its weight was reduced unless it was a imprint as someone has said i cant see a bird loosing 5 0unces in five days it must have had food in it when you weighed it. if you are worred about its weight just leave one chick with it then come away from it if it his hungery it will eat it but you will have a hard job to get a bird to feed of the fist at a high weight if you have flown other birds like you said you should know weigh it every day to check its weight to see how much it is losing but you will have to take weight of it before it will feed of your glove

Hi

In my opinion a untouched harris 9 months old is has hard to train as a gos and you would not expect a gos to feed yet.

Tell you what i would have done

Tether her in a weathering give it 1 chick a day so to drop its weight stay in the weathering may be will not eat while you are there

keep doing this till she eats then the next day pick her up and feed her she will eat on the fist put her back as soon has she has done eating so she thinks only good things about you and build on that.

I have used this no stress method for years including haggard gos and spars to be put back in the wild

Bob

I totally agree Bob :thumbs:

How this method can be conceived as ripping loads of weight of a bird is beyond me? The guy is only saying to give it one chick a day until SOME weight has come off her until she feeds off the fist, How the hell anyone thinks they are going to Mann a bird before it feeds off the fist with it bateing about everywhere is beyond me! you may get away with it with some Harris's taken up earley because of their gregariouse Nature! but if you take up a P/R Gos of say 10 weeks and think you're going to Mann it without getting a fair bit of weight of it you're in dream world....

I have had a Gos in the past edge into its seventh day before finally feeding off the fist! now are you all going to tell me this bird didn't lose alot of weight in its 7 days of fasting? its was obviousley self inflicted by the Gos but I'm Buggered if I was going to feed it until if fed from the glove.

You all need to step back a bit and read again what this guy is saying! He's 100% right in every way to get the birds weight down to feed off the fist, only then should the quality time of manning begin, trying to man a fiery bird which is bateing about of the fist is only going to cause resentment from the bird towards you! if it gets fed all the time while being Manned then this is a positive aproach which enforces a bond with the bird, half the reason I read about P/R Gos's having to be cut low to fly is because the manning forced upon the bird so you end up flying it on Hunger! baisically there's no bond with a bird manned like this, the only reason it returns to you is because its starving hungary and will always have to be flown sharp....

Jasper

like i said 2 bob my point was you dont have to give a female harris 1 chick aday 2 get its wait down and yes it is ripping its weight down because you are hardly feeding the bird and in my oppinion the birds welfare comes first and thats obviously not yours is it

like i said 2 bob my point was you dont have to give a female harris 1 chick aday 2 get its wait down and yes it is ripping its weight down because you are hardly feeding the bird and in my oppinion the birds welfare comes first and thats obviously not yours is it

You havn't got a clue have you old mate :doh:. you're the typical case of a man who thinks "He's been there and done it and worn the f*****g T-Shirt" just because you've flown a few Harris's! well I have news for you mate? your posts about Manning and trainning have given the game away big time :yes:! you need to get back to basics, Read a few more Books and then try and put it all into practice.

Have you ever sat back and considered that alot of Hawks in the wild don't need to feed everyday? some of the Broadwings can go a good few days before making another Kill includeing Red Crows! now is that bird having its weight ripped off it it? :no:, the bird is carrying fat reserves which is maintained again on its next feed. all we are doing as Falconers with a Hawk is removing the fat reserves to a state of keenes to assist us in the manning and trainning! obviousley alot of this weight can be then put back on the bird..

A fat hawk out of the aviary is worse still as this bird doesn't have a shadow of the fitness a wild hawk has, its Metabolism will be down and the fat being carried will be slower to remove! A bird sitting on a bow reducing weight is nothing like a wild bird flying around all day burning calories hence the slower process...

Shit I forgot!! You must have known this already :whistling:....

ATB

Jasper

jasper well said and writen if you could still get passage or haggerd goses i dont think they could sit there and man it without first tacking 15 to 20% of its fat weight i think a lot of pepole think they are like dogs and they like beaing with you [not just for food] just put there weight up and try and fly them the only problem is they will bugger off and dont come back thats why you see alot of harris hawks lost and as you said how do people think a bird servives in the wild it might have to go days without eating [ ps you dont no where i can get a wooley coat for my harris only joking ]

jasper well said and writen if you could still get passage or haggerd goses i dont think they could sit there and man it without first tacking 15 to 20% of its fat weight i think a lot of pepole think they are like dogs and they like beaing with you [not just for food] just put there weight up and try and fly them the only problem is they will bugger off and dont come back thats why you see alot of harris hawks lost and as you said how do people think a bird servives in the wild it might have to go days without eating [ ps you dont no where i can get a wooley coat for my harris only joking ]

Hows it going SF :thumbs:

I know mate and you're bang on! sometimes though you can try and explain things in the best way possible and it doesn't get through. the guy Bob was only trying to help and spoke sense and was savaged for it! I think I'll step away from this one now mate as I think me and a couple of guys have a difference of opinion which is fine by me ;), it would be a sad world if we all thought the same....

ATB

Jasper

You havn't got a clue have you old mate :doh:. you're the typical case of a man who thinks "He's been there and done it and worn the f*****g T-Shirt" just because you've flown a few Harris's! well I have news for you mate? your posts about Manning and trainning have given the game away big time :yes:! you need to get back to basics, Read a few more Books and then try and put it all into practice.

Have you ever sat back and considered that alot of Hawks in the wild don't need to feed everyday? some of the Broadwings can go a good few days before making another Kill includeing Red Crows! now is that bird having its weight ripped off it it? :no:, the bird is carrying fat reserves which is maintained again on its next feed. all we are doing as Falconers with a Hawk is removing the fat reserves to a state of keenes to assist us in the manning and trainning! obviousley alot of this weight can be then put back on the bird..

A fat hawk out of the aviary is worse still as this bird doesn't have a shadow of the fitness a wild hawk has, its Metabolism will be down and the fat being carried will be slower to remove! A bird sitting on a bow reducing weight is nothing like a wild bird flying around all day burning calories hence the slower process...

ATB

Jasper

like i have already said and will keep saying you dont have 2 bring the weight down that fast ok d**k head

ATB

Jasper

like i have already said and will keep saying you dont have 2 bring the weight down that fast ok d**k head

Pipe down little one sometimes you've just got to grin and bare it old boy take note from some experienced falconers who have been doing it for years mate. Methods have change over the years if it works for you then it works if it dont try something different but dont think for one minute your way is the BEST because there is always someone out there who is bigger and better than you, remember you learn by your mistakes.

You have a PM Dorris, also watch the text talk mate :whistling:, 2 should really be TO, its the queens english and easy to learn....

You're best mate

Jasper

jasper you are 110%right mate :good: i picked my FHH up last saturday and she was at 2.4 by monday i just got round her to have 1chick since then i have been giving her 2 chicks one day then 1 chick the next day i droped her down to 2.1 3/4 now she is sat on the fist like a dream and she is coming to me the full lenth of the garden i am over the moon with her :D:boogie: i dont know if this helps lenster but i hope it does :thumbs:

well done arnie she looks a nice settled bird mate! thats a lovely weight for a female Harris. I certainly wouldn't want to fly any of them bloody great lancaster bomber 2lb 10 and over jobs.

ATB

Jasper

jasper you are 110%right mate :good: i picked my FHH up last saturday and she was at 2.4 by monday i just got round her to have 1chick since then i have been giving her 2 chicks one day then 1 chick the next day i droped her down to 2.1 3/4 now she is sat on the fist like a dream and she is coming to me the full lenth of the garden i am over the moon with her :D:boogie: i dont know if this helps lenster but i hope it does :thumbs:

well done arnie shes looking good :clapper: , and horris:hmm: get a grip mate if you carnt stand the heat stay out the kitchen :no:

well done arnie shes looking good :clapper: , and horris:hmm: get a grip mate if you carnt stand the heat stay out the kitchen :no:

hang on a minute wag, everyone has their own way of dealing with things, but come on everyone, we are here as one, its not im the best or im better than you so lets cut out the bitchyness hey,both sides that is too, ive aways had a passion for b.o.p. and aways thought the people that fly them were better socialy than the ones with dogs,guns and ferts, but beginning to see different!

:victory: