Lurcher/gundog

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had mine out in the pigeon hide today. He does the job and is soft mouthed with feather ?

When hunting squirrels in woodland, I school the dogs to 'go round' and stand opposite to me... The Greys frequently try to hide behind the trunk of the tree, and they will often keep moving arou

That sounds like what I do these days, mooching with a flask of tea, rucksack and catapult. I must admit Im a bit soft these days and tend not to kill much with the catapult, unless I fancy putting so

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Gavberretta said:

Looking at training my lurcher to be my pigeon shooting companion has any one else done this or know of anybody using a lurcher for this line of work

Seen a bull whippet used for retrieving pigeons  pheasants etc  was as good as gun dog.

Train them right and the possibilities are endless.

• Like 3

You will see ample pictures of lurchers on here handling feather. I guess you just have to be extra careful on the gun fire side of things and the introduction. My next dog I thinking gundog but I just like having a lurcher so I will be planning the same as you 

This muppet is fine with gunfire but a plum. One thing he is good at is at a dusk duck flight telling me when a duck is incoming or finding them once shot. Doesn't retrieve though so his usefulness ends there

41495987240_c0fc202886_o.jpg.296ff962afb915b2897b39a356363c8c.jpg

IMG_5765.jpg.07aab846a74fdfcab8d9f27faf3b31c7.jpg

I had him the duck hide last season at dusk and I dropped first duck and we sat back down. Next thing his big moosh is peeping straight across my face so I looked upto the left and two ducks glided in. He had heard them a mile off. So from there on in I just watched him and you could see his ears swivelling about when the teal touched down in front. So I all ways new what was going on 

Edited by terryd
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Gavberretta said:

Runner96 any tips on keeping them steady in hide and what age did you put the gun over the dog 

To teach them not to be running in after every shot started for me with a dummy. Getting him steady to that first. Then it was a case of getting him in the hide and educating him. Be consistent. Never tell them of when they are carrying something. It’s all about timing. If they make a run for it out the hide once you have shot something, try to get out after them before they make a retrieve, as giving them a telling off once they have something in there mouth gets very confusing for them. It also makes life much easier if they can mark most of what comes down. So mine has learnt to sit in the hide with his head poking out under the net to keep his eye on everything. Give it a go and see what happens. He first heard gunfire at around 6 months old. Came in the motor to start with on a clay shoot. Then out the car, if comfortable from a distance for them move closer. You know your dog best and when they are ready ? 

Not necessarily pigeons in particular, but I used my last lurcher alongside a friend's air rifle. A lot of dogs are afraid of fireworks but every time he heard one he'd rush off to the nearest bit of cover hoping to catch a runner.

2 hours ago, terryd said:

Good advice off runner there teach them not to run in. Mistake I made with mine first time I took him and I dropped bird let him dash out and now every time he hears a bang he wants to storm after some thing. 

I've done fair bit beating over the years, and talked to few guns, at the end of drive. Most guns had there dogs  most times labs rock steady when there dropped there birds, great to see. One bloke had 2 springers. That he used for picking up, and rough shooting. And beating, pigeon shooting. My lurchers both would have done working in a hide, if wanted that, but always used my dogs for rabbits in the day/night, Bryn and Buck will mark a bid as well when mooching. But funny thing I always fancied a labx grey, I reckon  1/4 lab x 3/4 Grey or  1/4 lab x whippet grey, make hell of a good lurcher, take fur, feather, and few foxes no prob, some working bred labs, are very powerful fit dogs, great in any weather, and brill reatreavers, I carnt understand why this type x is not used more, nobody thought a pit bull x grey would have ever been as popular  and useful as they are,  so lab x  could be given the chance ?

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 17/08/2021 at 15:14, bird said:

I've done fair bit beating over the years, and talked to few guns, at the end of drive. Most guns had there dogs  most times labs rock steady when there dropped there birds, great to see. One bloke had 2 springers. That he used for picking up, and rough shooting. And beating, pigeon shooting. My lurchers both would have done working in a hide, if wanted that, but always used my dogs for rabbits in the day/night, Bryn and Buck will mark a bid as well when mooching. But funny thing I always fancied a labx grey, I reckon  1/4 lab x 3/4 Grey or  1/4 lab x whippet grey, make hell of a good lurcher, take fur, feather, and few foxes no prob, some working bred labs, are very powerful fit dogs, great in any weather, and brill reatreavers, I carnt understand why this type x is not used more, nobody thought a pit bull x grey would have ever been as popular  and useful as they are,  so lab x  could be given the chance ?

I scratch my head often wondering why gundogs aren't  used more frequently in lurcher breeding. That spaniel x lurcher of mine astonishes me. Perfect mooching dog, especially for me who appreciates watching a dog hunt. Easy to live with, doesn’t bugger off for hours, very good companion. Good coat and feet. I don’t cover the same quantity of ground I used to with my lurchers due to my health, but she covers more ground hunting than my other lurchers used to when I was fit. I’ve never been into catching loads, but get my kicks just catching one for the pot and getting more of my kicks from watching her field craft....beddy collie bull saluki lurchers.....all tried and tested, but for daytime mooching I know which I’d have.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

I scratch my head often wondering why gundogs aren't  used more frequently in lurcher breeding. That spaniel x lurcher of mine astonishes me. Perfect mooching dog, especially for me who appreciates watching a dog hunt. Easy to live with, doesn’t bugger off for hours, very good companion. Good coat and feet. I don’t cover the same quantity of ground I used to with my lurchers due to my health, but she covers more ground hunting than my other lurchers used to when I was fit. I’ve never been into catching loads, but get my kicks just catching one for the pot and getting more of my kicks from watching her field craft....beddy collie bull saluki lurchers.....all tried and tested, but for daytime mooching I know which I’d have.

Can see me looking for a similar type of mooching companion, in the near future.  Was thinking of another pure whippet, but the way things are nowadays, and for what I do, a dog similar to yours might just be a bit more suitable.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shaaark said:

Can see me looking for a similar type of mooching companion, in the near future.  Was thinking of another pure whippet, but the way things are nowadays, and for what I do, a dog similar to yours might just be a bit more suitable.

Aye

Edited by Black neck
4 candles
41 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I’ve also got a bed/whippet x collie/grey/whip.....small skinny looks the part.....she’s a lovely bitch but not a patch on my other and the amount of skin tears just from catching herself on old branches is scary. If  you enjoy a daytime mooch and appreciate watching a dog happily working for fun then I’d say go for it. Id  love another in maybe five years. I know it will be hard to find one though. I loved my whippet, he was small and hard, I’m not so keen on these taller types I see a lot of today. He was a bloody good worker. However my spaniel lurcher gives me much more in a similar sized package, she’s a smart dog for sure and uses it. Mine about 22 inch at a guess. There’s was a fella on YouTube who had a bed/whip x springer and I think he said his bitch was about 16 inch. 

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 5