Another vid

Back at it today took out eight of the stinkers with Fleet, Zip was left at home with an injury she received chasing a few bunnys the other day she will be ok in a few days, another glorious day to be out and about and a few for the pot to boot. Enjoy guys

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sirblessed said:

Back at it today took out eight of the stinkers with Fleet, Zip was left at home with an injury she received chasing a few bunnys the other day she will be ok in a few days, another glorious day to be out and about and a few for the pot to boot. Enjoy guys

Hi

Love the video! And some QandA at the end.

In terms of Ferreting UK vs Oz for me two fundamental differences climate and breeding season.

In the UK it is traditional to not ferret in any month without the letter r in it as its the warm summer months such as june , july and august when rabbits are breeding. 

By not ferreting during these months you get less lay ups when the ferrets kill in the warrens / burrows and eat the smaller baby rabbits ( which if you ever ferret in the summer in UK happens alot) 

I was always taught to teach the ferrets to recall/respond to the banging of a dead rabbit outside the warrens entrances to prevent lay ups in the Warren.

In terms of digging which you cant do in OZ when you ferret during the winter months and its frozen its tough going then too tbh ha

Just my thoughts above not a written rule or diffinitive how to do / how its done different people have different views on ethics of hunting rabbits each to their own.

Enjoyed the video will look out for next one. Have family in OZ always looks good for hunting and subsistence living!

Question for you. Qhat do you do with so much rabbit meat? Must have some great bbq recipes surely...?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Sirblessed said:

Cracking video

• Like 1

First of all another great video, I have often wondered if the climate has anything to do with the ferrets in the uk and Australia as our climate is a lot hotter which makes the ground impossible to dig the ferrets. I must admit I have not put a lot of thought into breading stock that won’t hold me up but never lost a ferret but have been held up from time to time but for no longer than an hour. I do make the bop bop noise that the ferret make when feeding feeding them maybe things like that make a difference. But they are very spoiled like family. Could it be possible that in the uk The ferrets prefer to stay underground as it is warmer underneath or as some people believe that you shouldn’t feed your ferrets the day you go out. I know when I go to work I need a feed before I start otherwise I am not interested in doing anything and just want to sit around. 

• Like 1

I forgot to mention you made comment in your video that ferrets are like humans, I think they are smarter then humans like all animals. Animals KILL to eat and to protect their young. Us humans kill each other for no reason. Animals are smart. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, OldhamLad said:

Question for you. Qhat do you do with so much rabbit meat? Must have some great bbq recipes surely...?

I cook all mine in the slow cooker or wrapped in bacon in the oven, it will beat getting our protean from crickets and cockroaches if the gov get their way ?

2 hours ago, Guss33 said:

First of all another great video, I have often wondered if the climate has anything to do with the ferrets in the uk and Australia as our climate is a lot hotter which makes the ground impossible to dig the ferrets. I must admit I have not put a lot of thought into breading stock that won’t hold me up but never lost a ferret but have been held up from time to time but for no longer than an hour. I do make the bop bop noise that the ferret make when feeding feeding them maybe things like that make a difference. But they are very spoiled like family. Could it be possible that in the uk The ferrets prefer to stay underground as it is warmer underneath or as some people believe that you shouldn’t feed your ferrets the day you go out. I know when I go to work I need a feed before I start otherwise I am not interested in doing anything and just want to sit around. 

We have been breeding that particular trait of leaving dead rabbits for so long that nearly all lines in Aus have it already ingrained fortunately for us    

2 hours ago, Guss33 said:

I forgot to mention you made comment in your video that ferrets are like humans, I think they are smarter then humans like all animals. Animals KILL to eat and to protect their young. Us humans kill each other for no reason. Animals are smart. 

When I hear so many saying the jab will keep them safe then I know we are a flawed species ?