Nice little weekend away (Nearly died)

Went up the coast with the mrs and dog for a couple days. Was a bit windy so didn't put the island up, just went for a swim. Thought I was a goner. I seriously misjudged the sea and got caught in an undercurrent which was pulling me opposite to the wave direction. So basically dragging me under. I was no more than 5m from shore, by the time I got out of it and managed to get back to the beach, I was fuucked. Luckily panic didn't set in and I'm a strong swimmer, plus I knew what to do. Crazy, death can happen so quickly in the sea. 

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

This is one of those topics where the title doesn’t go with the content ??

seriously though I’m glad you managed to recover , although I’m lead to believe that the “sea” you describe was actually a puddle 

Fixed it ?

And it was the Mediterranean, San Pol de Mar. Nice place and a bit bigger than a puddle ?

• mushroom changed the title to Nice little weekend away (Nearly died)

If you knew what you were doing you wouldn't of paddled out in a rip tide which is the only current you'll get thats against the waves presuming the waves were coming to the beach not sideways in which case you shouldn't of gone in anyway. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, JDHUNTING said:

If you knew what you were doing you wouldn't of paddled out in a rip tide which is the only current you'll get thats against the waves presuming the waves were coming to the beach not sideways in which case you shouldn't of gone in anyway. 

Couldn't see it as the waves were heavy and crashing around the break and onto the beach. Normal signs just weren't there. No swirls or anything. Plus I've been swimming in this place for years and not had any issues there before. Just shows never become complacent ;)

17 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Couldn't see it as the waves were heavy and crashing around the break and onto the beach. Normal signs just weren't there. No swirls or anything. Plus I've been swimming in this place for years and not had any issues there before. Just shows never become complacent ;)

Your right about that the seas a cruel mistress

2 hours ago, mushroom said:

Went up the coast with the mrs and dog for a couple days. Was a bit windy so didn't put the island up, just went for a swim. Thought I was a goner. I seriously misjudged the sea and got caught in an undercurrent which was pulling me opposite to the wave direction. So basically dragging me under. I was no more than 5m from shore, by the time I got out of it and managed to get back to the beach, I was fuucked. Luckily panic didn't set in and I'm a strong swimmer, plus I knew what to do. Crazy, death can happen so quickly in the sea. 

2 hours ago, JDHUNTING said:

Believe it or not half hour ago i was watching on you tube some prog about Bondi beach and a rip tide sprang up on the beach and caught out 20+ people,the life guards were struggling to save everyone and a few were very lucky people indeed.A rip can happen pretty much anywhere as it goes but they do favour certain areas in general...