Has anyone ever put a hare to ground with the lurchers

17 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

It is, though i've always admired those that risk all for escape and take the plunge.

Same with those that flip or jump over the dog, i'm ok if they get away, i'd like to think they'll breed and those cunning genes will be there again. ?

Exactly the same always admired those risk mechants  bosun  I remember that happening at the Waterloo if I remember right it did both dogs by jumping over them  im sure it was caught on film 

Edited by Blackmag

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They go to ground all the time when under pressure, also seen hares swim across fast flowing rivers before to get away, if they go to ground I think they should be left even if you could reach them to

Lad on here called p***y poacher put post up years ago where he’d had 3/3 hare but admitted the third one the dog put it to ground which he pulled out ,,  it stuck in my mind as something like th

Each to there own mate and different times call for different actions I understand a lot people eat what they catch I do the same , the bit wha5 bothers me more was he was saying he had a purpose bred

Posted Images

1 hour ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

They go to ground all the time when under pressure, also seen hares swim across fast flowing rivers before to get away, if they go to ground I think they should be left even if you could reach them to pull them out 

Let's put it like this when a fox goes to ground what do u do after getting away from the hounds leave it or Dig it 1987 I was young lad as to speek to me it's only a big rabbit to me nothing special about a hare to me then but when you get older u mellow a bit iam 57 now and don't even hunt hares any more most of the boys on hear don't even know a dog or hunt times our different now the net is closeing in on us hunting lads now all the best ferretman 

• Like 1

One afternoon 1994/5 the rain was coming down heavily, there was three hares sitting together so we slipped the three dogs we had with us,hoping to get at least two courses going, anyway they all ran the same hare, on and on it went until the hare made the banking and under the hedge into the next field, when we got there we found all the dogs standing looking down a rabbit hole

2 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

I did it was I think 1987 with a whippet bitch we bitch was stuck to it like Glue hare then up a hedge when I looked we bitch was stuck down a rabbit hole it was down about an arms length well I pulled it out Sunday dinner did it ever happen to anyone else on hear let me know thanks

yes

• Like 1
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv seem roe runs an leap straight of a canal bank into deep water and swim to other side, pretty sure few other the Glasgow lads would have saw it aswell as iv saw it happen a few times with dogs up there arses an even just chasing each other, they cross that canal regular ?

Put a few hares up pipes and in holes had a fox try to use the canal to get away and dog had it in reeds at side had a few roe round there try to make that canal my mates lurcher had one right on the bank and same morning we came back and dug a fox about 20 feet from where the roe was stopped ..... another funny story an think u no the boy haha dug a fox right on that canal I was just about to draw the terrier n fox when the boy I was digging with said he wanted to do it .... well him terrier and fox ended up in the canal 

• Like 1

They go anywhere they can to not die especially under pressure had a hare what was under pressure go down land drain to get away my pal watched a stoat chasing a rabbit on day while fishing he said in the end the rabbit  went in the water with its nose just showing until the stoat f****d of said it was mad atb longers01 

Edited by longers01

Ran em to ground a few times, best one i remember was over 40 yrs ago in a wood , problem was we had a terrier running with the lurchers and it got to the hole before we did and followed it down, now i have done a fair bit of terrier work over the yrs and i will tell you now this dog took a hell of a pounding before we got it out, we had to kill the hare as it was mauled on its arse end , allways sticks in my mind this creature really deserved to live.

18 minutes ago, Jude said:

Seen The white hares unlike the browns drop in a hole/pipe with hardly any pressure atall probably due to the fact they are using them as shelter regularly 

they love getting under the over hangs on the peat hags if i remember correctly

4 hours ago, All-terrain said:

There’s holes in some of the banks on the old coursing grounds near here, purpose  built for the hare to escape into can’t think what they are called ?  A-t

I allways thought the escape routes were called meuse's.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, mC HULL said:

Be 3 more to the list when you bring something  for a run ? ? ?

Pups lame landed on a wire fence Be a good few week before I'm walking her ? To top it off I'm on crutches ?? f****d my ankle up 

IMG_20210729_174427_587.jpg

IMG_20210729_033033_415.jpg

Edited by Kalibrgun