Repopulating

Has anyone ever repopulated an area with rabbits? As in got live rabbits and released to get an established population?

Got some lovely land near me at least 61 acres perfect grazing fields and woodland cover and sandy soil hillsides but no rabbits. 

( There was rabbits back in the 80s until area they where was cleared however theres huge stretches without. Currently has foxes , badges , voles , mice etc )

Weird idea but honestly i think due to the urban surroundings it just never got a chance to repopulate.  

Query is would there need to be existing warren networks. Reality is a rabbit just plonked without a burrow is going to have a hard time isnt it....

You can only try... Rabbits spread, thats a given. The are constantly digging new burrows, warrens come later, after they are well established.

Over a large area, i'd spread the drops and see what happens.

Mate this we trick will.work I done it two seasons ago let about 21 rabbits go near my house how theres plenty of cover for them and holes too and now with in about 5 fields plenty of rabbits about I don't hunt them much just keep them for when out walking dogs and pups only good thing no one else is hunting them so that's counts for a lot 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In this part of Leicestershire their has been Black Rabbits since the 1930s when they were first introduced by Farmers to improve the quality off the Fur and increase the meat yield, Black Rex  does  were used the first season  and  Bucks were released the  following year , the Does that were used were picked out because they were aggressive which is the opposite  of what you need in tame Rabbits. I have caught Black Rabbits in this area  for over 60 years and never saw a Black one with Mixi though i have caught them with it in other places.  The owner of this farm caught 300  Rabbits a Week from September to the end of April mainly by Snares and the best price he got was 4 Shillings  [20 pence ] a couple in 1952 during the Meat shortage .                                                              i 

P1010322_zps808c14fa.jpg

• Like 4