Settling a new pup

Been a few years for me but im doing it again next week i just miss it too much .  Settling a new pup into its new home for the first night or so can be a pain in the arse .Having another dog for company can be a godsend but if its an only pup its a nightmare so what are your tricks or old ways that you guys have success with as im interested in others success methods ... Cheers.

Hi

Tbh i always rub a teddy on the mum or a blanket and bring it back with the puppy. Gives them something to cuddle upto in their first couple of nights.

I dont rush forcing interaction and just wait until the pup comes from its bed or box etc

Got a bed x whippet will do it all over again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Radio on in the kennels helps keep them quiet and settles them....when I lost a bitch and hand reared a litter of terrier pups I put a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket with scent from the dam and also an old wind up alarm clock....ticking sounds like the bitches heartbeat?

• Like 7
55 minutes ago, OldhamLad said:

Hi

Tbh i always rub a teddy on the mum or a blanket and bring it back with the puppy. Gives them something to cuddle upto in their first couple of nights.

I dont rush forcing interaction and just wait until the pup comes from its bed or box etc

Got a bed x whippet will do it all over again in a heartbeat.

I like that with the teddy ?. Nice one . 

• Thanks 1

Probably not the best, but I used a pheromone spray for my bitch's first couple nights.. worked like a treat. 

Will occasionally use it still if we've got a stupid long car journey and it knocks her right out. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

Radio on in the kennels helps keep them quiet and settles them....when I lost a bitch and hand reared a litter of terrier pups I put a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket with scent from the dam and also an old wind up alarm clock....ticking sounds like the bitches heartbeat?

This is a really good shout !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 3dumb said:

Probably not the best, but I used a pheromone spray for my bitch's first couple nights.. worked like a treat. 

Will occasionally use it still if we've got a stupid long car journey and it knocks her right out. 

Was she a 8 week old pup ?

53 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Bray It with a big stick whenever it whinges !

Just joking, mate. Keep them tired out and well fed seems to do the trick ? 

Cheers.

Ive been tough on the pups years ago (not that tough ?) even used a water pistol telling it to get into bed etc which works they dont like getting sprayed but im older now and softer ?