Longevity

26 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

You not get trouble with mites in the barley straw? 

I know it can be an issue but up till now not had a problem.

On the subject of working career I would be very happy if I could manage to graft a dog hard for several seasons and not pick up a few injuries which slow it down etc. Nearly all of the dogs I’ve met that hve had a good career aren’t exactly in pristine nick ? 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How long is a piece of string ? When a working dog is at its peak surely depends on its type, breed, when it was started, what work it's does, what quarry it runs and on what type of land. M

EXCELLENT WRITE UP BOSUN 11 SPOT ON WHAT YOU SAY, IN MY BOOK, IF YOUR DOGS HAVE GIVEN YOU THEIR ALL OVER LONG YEARS THEY STILL DESERVE GOOD FOOD, A WARM BED, AND DEVOTION FROM YOU,IF YOUR A TRUE DOGMA

Cant beat do or die f..k they thinkers running about with there heads in the air 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SheepChaser said:

I’ve not really read all the previous replies so it might have been said....... but there are a large variety of factors. In ‘theory’ a good running dog is in its prime at the age of 4-5. Someone once said to me it takes two years to get a dog to be the complete article, it then takes two more years to get that dog to fully practice and hone its craft, and then two years where it’s the complete and practiced article and still running like a good un, then you get two years before the dog is old. Don’t know if that’s true really but it makes sense. 

Having said that, I’ve never really managed to get a dog as far as it’s middle years without a variety of injuries that slow it down, and I’ve only managed to get one dog as far as retirement yet, all the rest haven’t made old bones, sadly. 

Lol you need a hardy type lol one dog to retirement lol 

A natural is is at it 12 month old mate like there my have had 3 seasons already ?

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

for me it means a dog that tries at everything every time. rabbits sat at side of hedge, it doesn't think about it, still tries for them. it also doesn't start applying brakes yards from cover either. often hits cover to catch it's quarry. far better than a clever thinking dog that picks its runs. 

Whod have a dog picks runs mate ? 

You want dog smashing cover thats normal not a do or die type ?

51 minutes ago, Allan P said:

Does anyone rub down their dogs after exercise, will this help reduce stiffness and soreness? Do you put coats on your dogs after a nights lamping or just put them in the kennel. Is there any more preventative measures that can be used to help. 

Wants rubbing  down stretching out mate make sure all is good you do it a lot you will get to know your dog and if there's a niggle straight away mate 

Edited by mC HULL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

A natural is is at it 12 month old mate like there my have had 3 seasons already ?

However hardy a dog is, it can still get knocked about. That’s just life. Some dogs are lucky and some are not. Obviously some dogs use their heads more or are structurally sounder or whatever, but if you slap your paw down on a big sharp bit of flint while you’re motoring get stamped on / kicked badly, it’s going to have repercussions.

As to the last sentence ..... I don’t have a clue what you’re saying ? ? 

13 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Also if that’s an attempted dig at me for only having one make retirement, trust me as hardy as your dogs are, dead is dead. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Nothing kills older dogs better than retirement...

As Charts and others have said, there are so many variables in this subject BUT keep them at it for as long as you can and you will have a fit and healthy dog, sure it may not have the speed it did in its youth, but expierience and cunning it will have-a-plenty and you can't buy that..!!

I had my first dog still catching at 14 years old and fool that i was, i stopped taking her because i was getting ripped by my 'mates'. I broke her heart, leaving without her and taking other dogs out and within a few months her health faded and she died...

Another tale about age, was my mates old deerhoundy lurcher Jet. At 12 my mate had retired Jet to a house dog but he was out all day with his kids. He got some sort of kidney problem and my mate thought it was time to call it a day. He hadn't the heart to go to the vet but rather give him a last slip on the Lydiate fields of Altcar estate, where Jet had killed many a hare in his prime and that would finish him off.

Well, i went with him to do the deed and 'ol Jet looked very worse for wear loaded into the motor but on arrival his demina changed, his stride opened up and he somehow looked 'a bit better' walking over to that field... So that hare got up and Jet was slipped and the old bugger caught that hare after two turns and went on to live his fireside life for a few years more...

Them old 'uns can surprise you sometimes... ?

EXCELLENT WRITE UP BOSUN 11 SPOT ON WHAT YOU SAY, IN MY BOOK, IF YOUR DOGS HAVE GIVEN YOU THEIR ALL OVER LONG YEARS THEY STILL DESERVE GOOD FOOD, A WARM BED, AND DEVOTION FROM YOU,IF YOUR A TRUE DOGMAN, THEY DESERVE IT, TILL THE TIME COMES TO SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR LOYAL AND FAITHFUL COMPANION, MIGHT  SOUND SOPPY TO SOME ON HERE, BUT TO ME MY DOGS ARE JUST NOTSOMETHING TO BE DISGARDED WHEN THEY GET TOO OLD TO WORK ANY LONGER, BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION.

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Also if that’s an attempted dig at me for only having one make retirement, trust me as hardy as your dogs are, dead is dead. 

No dig mate I was saying a natural will stop em 12 month old have you thinking they have 3 seasons under the belt already mate 

32 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

No dig mate I was saying a natural will stop em 12 month old have you thinking they have 3 seasons under the belt already mate 

That's a fair comment.  But I'd bet you wouldn't run it at 12 month in January,  same way you would run a seasoned dog .?

• Like 1

To me it's fairly simple.  Rear a greyhound and run it , youd be lucky to hammer it and get to 3rd season in a sound condition.  A pure saluki,  totally different.  Imo . Certain breeds are more robust.  But in this game where we are trying to breed the best attribute from various breeds , one litter mate can throw steadier than its sibling.  Imho , breed and style along with ground worked is the main factors. 

1 hour ago, Allan P said:

Does anyone rub down their dogs after exercise, will this help reduce stiffness and soreness? Do you put coats on your dogs after a nights lamping or just put them in the kennel. Is there any more preventative measures that can be used to help. 

Not after general exercise unless they'd had a serious run beside the bike etc but would always give my dogs a rub down and go right over them to check for any little injuries and wash their feet etc after a nights running.

• Like 4