Longevity

Seen a few posts about how much exercise a pup should get etc and I’ve always had my pups out and about early. But they are how can say ‘past their best’ around 4/5 years. Is that normal, is breeding, type or stock management and even diet a factor? 
Im interested to hear from people who work their dogs continuously on a regular basis. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How long is a piece of string ? When a working dog is at its peak surely depends on its type, breed, when it was started, what work it's does, what quarry it runs and on what type of land. M

EXCELLENT WRITE UP BOSUN 11 SPOT ON WHAT YOU SAY, IN MY BOOK, IF YOUR DOGS HAVE GIVEN YOU THEIR ALL OVER LONG YEARS THEY STILL DESERVE GOOD FOOD, A WARM BED, AND DEVOTION FROM YOU,IF YOUR A TRUE DOGMA

Cant beat do or die f..k they thinkers running about with there heads in the air 

Posted Images

I’ve heard that they are still in their prime, but are they missing their edge? Do they get smarter with age. Do some types seem to age quicker?   I think the the bigger Bull crosses struggle because of the size and weight on joints etc. 

Athletically they probably are, same as human boxers are at their peak at 27 and other athletes. Hunting dogs get smarter as they age, up to a point, to compensate, same as us. I prefer to hunt with an experienced dog that might not be as fast but are a pleasure to work with. Another reason I'm not into competitive dog sports where good dogs are kicked to the curb for financial reasons or their owners ego once past their prime.

3 hours ago, Allan P said:

But they are how can say ‘past their best’ around 4/5 years.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Think some of the traditional lurcher types are old before their time, compared to salukis and crosses

GOT TO AGREE WITH YOU GILBEY, IM NOT A CHOP AND CHANGE MERCHANT WITH MY DOGS AND NEVER HAVE BEEN, ALWAYS FOUND THAT BEDLINGTONXS AND WHIPPET TYPEXS WORKED WELL EVEN INTO OLD AGE, IF ENTERED CORRECTLY ANDW0RKED AND FED PROPERLY MOST LURCHERS WORK TIRELESSLY FOR YOU EVEN AT A GOOD AGE, MY OLDEST LURCHER IS A DEERHOUNDX AND IS 11 YRS OLD,STILL  LAMPING HIM LAST WINTER AND HAD AFEW WITH HIM,CAUGHT A RABBIT ONLY YESTERDAY ON A GENTLE STROLL, OTHERDOG IS DEERHOUND X AGAIN AND IS 6YRS OLD AND TO ME IS IN HIS PRIME, WILL RUN HIM THIS WINTER, THE DEERHOUND DOES HAVE ONE OF THE SHORTEST WORKING LIVES OF THE TRADITIONAL LURCHERS, WHEN YOU THINK YOU LET EM MATURE TILL ABOUT 18MONTHS OLD, RUN EM TILL ABOUT 9YRS AND THEN THEY NEED TO BE EASED OFF WORK BUT NOT STOPPED COMPLETELY,I THINK TO GET ADOG OUTEXERCISING EVERYDAY KEEP THEM FIT AND HEALTHY INTO OLD AGE, BUT THATS MY EXPERIENCE OVER THE YEARS, OLDEST LURCHER IHAD WAS BEDDYX LIVED TILL 16YRS OF AGE AND WORKED TILL 11, FERRETING AND DAY TIME MOOCHING.

• Like 1

How long is a piece of string ?

When a working dog is at its peak surely depends on its type, breed, when it was started, what work it's does, what quarry it runs and on what type of land.

My old Beddy type worked well until over ten then I retired her. My deer cross worked from one, and caught her first fallow at nine and worked until over ten.

One thing I've noticed, it wasn't a gradual decline with my dogs, it came on quite quickly, but a dog of five or six should, reasonably, be in its prime.

Just my opinion ?

Cheers.

• Like 7
54 minutes ago, grompz said:

GOT TO AGREE WITH YOU GILBEY, IM NOT A CHOP AND CHANGE MERCHANT WITH MY DOGS AND NEVER HAVE BEEN, ALWAYS FOUND THAT BEDLINGTONXS AND WHIPPET TYPEXS WORKED WELL EVEN INTO OLD AGE, IF ENTERED CORRECTLY ANDW0RKED AND FED PROPERLY MOST LURCHERS WORK TIRELESSLY FOR YOU EVEN AT A GOOD AGE, MY OLDEST LURCHER IS A DEERHOUNDX AND IS 11 YRS OLD,STILL  LAMPING HIM LAST WINTER AND HAD AFEW WITH HIM,CAUGHT A RABBIT ONLY YESTERDAY ON A GENTLE STROLL, OTHERDOG IS DEERHOUND X AGAIN AND IS 6YRS OLD AND TO ME IS IN HIS PRIME, WILL RUN HIM THIS WINTER, THE DEERHOUND DOES HAVE ONE OF THE SHORTEST WORKING LIVES OF THE TRADITIONAL LURCHERS, WHEN YOU THINK YOU LET EM MATURE TILL ABOUT 18MONTHS OLD, RUN EM TILL ABOUT 9YRS AND THEN THEY NEED TO BE EASED OFF WORK BUT NOT STOPPED COMPLETELY,I THINK TO GET ADOG OUTEXERCISING EVERYDAY KEEP THEM FIT AND HEALTHY INTO OLD AGE, BUT THATS MY EXPERIENCE OVER THE YEARS, OLDEST LURCHER IHAD WAS BEDDYX LIVED TILL 16YRS OF AGE AND WORKED TILL 11, FERRETING AND DAY TIME MOOCHING.

Oldest saluki was 16 1/2 and oldest lurcher was 15. Just comparing those two, the lurcher X lurcher was a old dog for longer 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

How long is a piece of string ?

When a working dog is at its peak surely depends on its type, breed, when it was started, what work it's does, what quarry it runs and on what type of land.

My old Beddy type worked well until over ten then I retired her. My deer cross worked from one, and caught her first fallow at nine and worked until over ten.

One thing I've noticed, it wasn't a gradual decline with my dogs, it came on quite quickly, but a dog of five or six should, reasonably, be in its prime.

Just my opinion ?

Cheers.

A lot depends on its style I think. If it’s a do or die animal it will be lucky to reach retirement. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

A lot depends on its style I think. If it’s a do or die animal it will be lucky to reach retirement. 

Of course. That's just one of many variables that mean you can't give a definitive answer as to when a dog is at its best ?

Cheers.

• Like 1