.17hmr Zero, advice please

On 07/09/2021 at 09:47, David.evans said:

I don’t understand why you need lead free bullets if the quarry is not going in the food chain 

I spoke to my local gun shop 

and they will still stock 

17hmr , 223 , 243 , I’m been told none of these will be faded out ? 
Is this true or not !

They're concerned abut it going into the environment. Not as if the ground has lead in though. ?

Also there's studies showing toxicity from lead for cancer as well as brain injury.

I've heard copper matrix bullets work better than lead through rifles. Better terminal effect. 

I too would go .17 H. Very little to choose between the .17 and .22 but the .17 is flatter and faster. Don't know about relaoding the .17 but can't see why it's not possible. Something to loook into if you're looking at keeping ammo cost down. Otherwise, .22 is a good choice as plenty of reloading options.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are flat and fast for the first 100, I will put the crosshairs smack on a rabbit between 60 and 120 yards ( I use them for pest control so perfect head shots are not what im going for  )  above 1

I zeroed at 42 yards and had to adjust slightly to get what I wanted. It shoots very nicely now, just need a bit of time to get out and use it now

Hateful little rifles! Any zeroing should involve a skip.?   Two of them? I hadn't realised you where so hard of thinking. As they say Daarn saarf "you facking mug". ?

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Alsone said:

They're concerned abut it going into the environment. Not as if the ground has lead in though. ?

Also there's studies showing toxicity from lead for cancer as well as brain injury.

I've heard copper matrix bullets work better than lead through rifles. Better terminal effect. 

I too would go .17 H. Very little to choose between the .17 and .22 but the .17 is flatter and faster. Don't know about relaoding the .17 but can't see why it's not possible. Something to loook into if you're looking at keeping ammo cost down. Otherwise, .22 is a good choice as plenty of reloading options.

For what it's worth, i found when loading for the 17 hornet it only takes a tiny difference in powder, load to load to make a difference. The 17 relies on good speed to be effective. To get good speed you need to be close to the edge with the loads. This can lead to pressure issues ie: blowing out primers etc. The go to powder was lil gun and a tiny discrepancy between loads made a difference to accuracy. I was lucky enough to buy a load of factory hornady ammo through my rfd that was on offer. When i used that up i sold the rifle as i couldn't be bothered experimenting with different powders to get a consistent load. Maybe i should of kept it and tried. The 22 hornet is an altogether different thing to load for to get consistency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

But how loopy is its trajectory in comparison? 

I have shot both extensively but never actually compared the trajectory of them. I have shot and killed far more foxes with the 22 than the 17. The 17 is an absolute maximum fox killer at 150yds past that and you stand a very good chance of looking for runners.

• Like 1

The 30/35 grain hornet bullets are good out to 150 then start to drop off. 40 grain v-max are better beyond 150. I set at 1 inch high at 100 and out to 200 is easy flat enough. Depends what you’re shooting ben. If it’s crows at 250 plus you’re probably better off with the .17, inside 200 though, the .22 will hit harder. As Ian says, if you want to reload go .22 and if you’re shooting further than 200 take your .204. Just my opinion ??

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother going off any ballistic charts if reloading. I always load on the hot side so the charts are meaningless to me. 

I replaced my 17 hornet with another T3 supervarmint in 204. It is considerably flatter and harder hitting than either hornet. I like to kill the crows that think they are safe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love my Bergara ba13 300blk I reload it for the same price as 22wmr or 17hmr ammo, with 110gr Sierras it has flat enough trajectory to 150y. Plenty of engergy for foxes it is allowed for roedeer here. Lead free bullets can be found for varmints and deer hunting.