.17hmr Zero, advice please

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are flat and fast for the first 100, I will put the crosshairs smack on a rabbit between 60 and 120 yards ( I use them for pest control so perfect head shots are not what im going for  )  above 1

I zeroed at 42 yards and had to adjust slightly to get what I wanted. It shoots very nicely now, just need a bit of time to get out and use it now

Hateful little rifles! Any zeroing should involve a skip.?   Two of them? I hadn't realised you where so hard of thinking. As they say Daarn saarf "you facking mug". ?

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, ianm said:

Which one 17 or 22.

Probably .17 for flatter shooting.

Want it as a day to day rifle to go on quad when I'm going about at work. Mostly a crow killer with ability to drop fox that might pop out. 

11 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Exactly why my hmr is up for sale, going to replace with hornet. 

I’m sure you will love the hornet Ben. I hardly use hmr, the hornet does anything hmr will do but better. Also, you can reload them for next to nothing. Hmr gets used for squirrels and crows sometimes, rabbits either .22 or fac air.

8 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Probably .17 for flatter shooting.

Want it as a day to day rifle to go on quad when I'm going about at work. Mostly a crow killer with ability to drop fox that might pop out. 

I’m not sure what lead free .17 bullets will be like if and when they’re forced on us? Might be worth consideration before you choose. My hornet is .22, but I can see your point with the .17, for me .22 was a better all round calibre. I know someone who had both and sold the .17 because the .22 worked better on foxes.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, David.evans said:

I don’t understand why you need lead free bullets if the quarry is not going in the food chain 

I spoke to my local gun shop 

and they will still stock 

17hmr , 223 , 243 , I’m been told none of these will be faded out ? 
Is this true or not !

Agreed David, if it’s vermin what’s being gained apart from pretending to save the planet by using lead free bullets? 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dervburner said:

I’m not sure what lead free .17 bullets will be like if and when they’re forced on us? Might be worth consideration before you choose. My hornet is .22, but I can see your point with the .17, for me .22 was a better all round calibre. I know someone who had both and sold the .17 because the .22 worked better on foxes.

As well as the 45 grain soft point .22 hornet loads there’s 35 grain v-max, 40 gain v-max, 40 grain Sierra varmint and 30 grain Barnes grenade homeloads here. 

23CA44A6-6399-4C6B-A536-8D40DDEF6C3A.jpeg

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

As well as the 45 grain soft point .22 hornet loads there’s 35 grain v-max, 40 gain v-max, 40 grain Sierra varmint and 30 grain Barnes grenade homeloads here. 

23CA44A6-6399-4C6B-A536-8D40DDEF6C3A.jpeg

Is 30grn the lightest load you can use? 

1 hour ago, BenBhoy said:

Is 30grn the lightest load you can use? 

30 grain Barnes is the lightest I’ve come across, but there may be lighter ones available? After all, you’re asking someone who thinks that Slash is an actual god? ...........hang on, he is, so I might be right?? forgive me....?

• Haha 1