.17hmr Zero, advice please

48 minutes ago, Stavross said:

To be fair I had one and was offered the cz along with his cabinet, ammo, few hundred cartridges and some other bits and bobs for £200, so I thought sod it, 24 hour variation and bought it, but I see where you are coming from ?

It gets worse with every word you utter!

You have actually paid to be tortured by them!?

• Haha 3

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are flat and fast for the first 100, I will put the crosshairs smack on a rabbit between 60 and 120 yards ( I use them for pest control so perfect head shots are not what im going for  )  above 1

I zeroed at 42 yards and had to adjust slightly to get what I wanted. It shoots very nicely now, just need a bit of time to get out and use it now

Hateful little rifles! Any zeroing should involve a skip.?   Two of them? I hadn't realised you where so hard of thinking. As they say Daarn saarf "you facking mug". ?

Posted Images

Calculated showing 100 yard zero 1" kill zone, near zero 42 yards approx, but please test actual zero at the range on paper.

On my Strelok Pro app, 1" kill zone, best zero 131 yards near zero 40 yards good to out to 150 yards ish, but again always check on paper on range.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, goldfinger said:

Calculated showing 100 yard zero 1" kill zone, near zero 42 yards approx, but please test actual zero at the range on paper.

On my Strelok Pro app, 1" kill zone, best zero 131 yards near zero 40 yards good to out to 150 yards ish, but again always check on paper on range.

Cheers. I zeroed at 42 and if it ever stops raining I'll see what it does further out

I use near zero on windy days, then double check at 100 when conditions allow.

Also I stopped cleaning my barrel after every trip, this I have found gives me for more consistency with up to around 50+ rounds, clean the breach though, I now clean the barrel when I start to loose consistency then check zero on range.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine is zeroed at 100yards which works for me, but you have to give consideration to your own land before deciding what zero works best for you!

I'm very confident with it out to that distance and a bit further but I don't push it too far!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/08/2021 at 07:59, ThermionicValveTech said:

I bore sighted mine at 30 yards to start with, then zeroed at 50 yards then 100 yards, needed a few clicks at 100 to be spot on. Ideally they want to be around 130 yard zero with a 17HMR though to get the flattest trajectory with a 1" KZ. But I think the cartridge is flat enough shooting at 100 yards for any of my uses.

There are figures to suggest the HMR itself delivers a pretty good trajectory at just under 130 yards zero.

What is best for any individual user is a zero that suits his land, main distances and quarry.   As you say that is 100 yards for you, it is also 100 yards for me.

Good luck to him whatever!

:thumbs:

On 30/07/2021 at 18:04, Tyla said:

So does this mean zero at 42 yards is same as 100 giving you near on flat shooting out to 110ish?

Very few people will ever Zero at the top of the bullet arc.  Therefore, virtually everyone will have a first zero point on the bullet rise, and a true zero on the drop.  This is the same for EVERY calibre.

Once you have established the true zero that you want with the rifle/ammo you can start moving forward to establish the first zero.   Once you have established the first zero accurately you can always use this point to establish the true zero.  Remember, if you change ammo type/weight, or even potentially different batches of the same ammo you need to start all over again.

:thumbs:

• Like 1
On 30/07/2021 at 10:05, Stavross said:

To be fair I had one and was offered the cz along with his cabinet, ammo, few hundred cartridges and some other bits and bobs for £200, so I thought sod it, 24 hour variation and bought it, but I see where you are coming from ?

Stick to your gun as they Say Stav.

If you like it, you like it.

On 30/07/2021 at 09:05, ianm said:

Hateful little rifles!

Any zeroing should involve a skip.?

Two of them?

I hadn't realised you where so hard of thinking.

As they say Daarn saarf "you facking mug". ?

What are you on about Ian? They’re great, I set mine up at 1000 yards and it’s point and shoot out to a mile and a quarter. Didn’t you believe the hype? 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Iaim

depends on your shooting stile , my is zeroed at 100 for rabbits , and I have to say it’s deadly , head shot every time no bother 

I was out the other night , and took 38 easy , and got board so the 223 came out for a bit of fun and to be truthful, yes just as good but and as accurate 

but what a waste of time except the few At 150/ 200 yards 

every one to the own but the 17 HMR  has it place 

atb

On 27/08/2021 at 11:53, Dervburner said:

What are you on about Ian? They’re great, I set mine up at 1000 yards and it’s point and shoot out to a mile and a quarter. Didn’t you believe the hype? 

Unfortunately i did believe the hype to an extent and bought one. I didn't keep it long, not for me as they say.

I took my son out with it one night when we had loads of rabbits. He is a fair shot as well. It was windy and i told him i didn't want anything body shot, head shots only. After a great number of shots we had four rabbits. I asked him what he thought and he said "the best thing you could do with that piece of shit is go to the nearest pit and throw it in" i couldn't disagree. 

1 hour ago, David.evans said:

Iaim

depends on your shooting stile , my is zeroed at 100 for rabbits , and I have to say it’s deadly , head shot every time no bother 

I was out the other night , and took 38 easy , and got board so the 223 came out for a bit of fun and to be truthful, yes just as good but and as accurate 

but what a waste of time except the few At 150/ 200 yards 

every one to the own but the 17 HMR  has it place 

atb

There aren't the rabbits here to worry about a volume rabbit harvester. If i wanted anything less than the 204 i think i would go for a 22 hornet, i have had the 17 hornet and it's great for rabbits but tricky to load for.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, ianm said:

anything less than the 204 i think i would go for a 22 hornet, i have had the 17 hornet and it's great for rabbits but tricky to load for

Exactly why my hmr is up for sale, going to replace with hornet. 

• Like 1