Walking Snowden with Lurcher

Only walked Snowden once with my mrs and sister in law last year…let’s just say it took longer than it should ? but I really enjoyed it. Just did the easy Llanberis route. Want to try a different route maybe this weekend. Is The Watkin Path suitable for the dog, can’t be bothered giving way to people all the time if the path is tight. 

You could try a less popular way up.. think the Whatkin, Miners and Llanberis all start from more more accessible north side of Snowden.

I walked it up the Rhyd Ddu path a few months back.. it's starts over on the west side though and apparently tends to be less busy.

I hardly seen anyone on the way up.. mind, i was walking for 5:30 am though.. was spring bank week when kids were off so i expecting it to be busy later on in the day. I'd stick a few pics up but some reason i can't email them to myself anymore.. ffs.

Yes.. get it done mate..

Route options here....

Cheers guys. Took dog last time and definitely going just undecided on route. Aim to go early plus weathers not supposed to be great so shouldn’t be too busy. Just remember last time quite a long section where giving way all the time because bit narrow passing with dog so didn’t want a route where waiting for people get past stop start. 

If I was going up then I would be setting off early doors. I stay away from Snowdon. Too many people. I don’t like taking the dogs up there because of having to give way to people. There’s much better and quieter areas up there that I prefer. I’m heading to the area on Sunday for a week but will just be staying away from the crowds. Best option with Snowdon is to go up last light. Wild camp at the top and head back down first light. ?

• Like 3

like you me and the mrs did the llanberis last sept which was very busy ....but the day after we went half way up the watkins path to swim in the pools which are the most cyrstal clear water you will ever see...so if your hot have a swim or let the dog have a swim....it was also quiet compared to the the llanberis 

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, TOMO said:

like you me and the mrs did the llanberis last sept which was very busy ....but the day after we went half way up the watkins path to swim in the pools which are the most cyrstal clear water you will ever see...so if your hot have a swim or let the dog have a swim....it was also quiet compared to the the llanberis 

I haven't been Snowden since I was a kid but I'd love to take the misses and the 3 dogs camping for a week .

Pools sound great place ? 

15 hours ago, gaza said:

Only walked Snowden once with my mrs and sister in law last year…let’s just say it took longer than it should ? but I really enjoyed it. Just did the easy Llanberis route. Want to try a different route maybe this weekend. Is The Watkin Path suitable for the dog, can’t be bothered giving way to people all the time if the path is tight. 

Gaza do you go camping in  Snowden area ? 

No I've not been camping in years Moocher71 doubt I've even got a tent anymore after house move clear out.

Was looking for airbnb or a dorm or something (like stayed in last yr) but struggling to find anything, plus mrs wants me back handy for some family thing.

Decided on Watkins route, fancied it anyway but whatever forum I was on they were saying not suitable for dogs so wasn't sure if they meant narrow or some full on mountaineering pass/scramble at the top. Would be good have a full weekend wander up there and camp, just a last minute jobby this get some head space.

• Like 1

Most the paths are fine for dogs Gaza. Pyg track and Crib Goch routes are no good for them. As said go up the Watkin or Rhyd Ddu paths. Problem will be when you get on the summit as it will no doubt be mobbed. Reason the sites recommended no paths are suitable for dogs are for a few reasons. Chasing stock, people tripping over them and having to be rescued and believe it or not, dogs dehydrating and having to be rescued.  Air bnb have been booked up for ages. Best bet is to camp or caravan site. If you are stuck then drop me a pm. I’ll give my old man a shout and see if he knows of anywhere. 

Cheers white van appreciate that ?. Yeah I saw the stock prob the one time I went some fat chocolate lab running itself to exhaustion ? as soon as got on the lanberris route proper off the road past a farm house. 

me and the mrs stayed Caernarfon last year at a premier inn...only about £40 for the night.....nice little town it is as well..had a cracking meal in a pub i think was called the black boy inside the castle walls....

but theres plenty of campsites over that way