Comparison Galgo vs. Greyhound

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got mine in training for the battle of the slop bashers ????????

They are sensitive but biddable and trainable, I find them easy to live with, I'd put them somewhere between a greyhound and a saluki temperament wise. They have high prey drive and will run themselve

SANDY..!!!!!!!

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

You did ?  imported Salukis to breed improve ?

Read my post carefully......I said "why DID people import the Saluki" , not "why DO people import the Saluki " They were imported in the past to improve the coursing dogs we had. This was done to great effect and judicious and planned breeding is why the coursing dogs we have now most probably wouldn't be improved by the addition of more imports.

Cheers.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

some look to have saluki influence sIMG_20181201_111402.thumb.jpg.08863e66f6f3b0458d17d951331ae033.jpg.ad7335e1178031557f13b224f2894eb5.jpg

Genetics have them most closely related to sloughis. They predate English greyhounds by a very  long time. 

Edited by sandymere
14 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Now, I've nothing against galgo's, some of them I've seen on video seem very capable, but if they are so good, and available almost on our doorstep, and far easier to import, why did people go to the great bother and expense of importing Salukis from the Middle East to breed and improve coursing dogs in the UK ?

This is a genuine question and in no way meant to be derogatory of galgo's.

Cheers.

From what I've been told by a friend in America that managed to get a couple the Spanish would rather kill them then let them go and do in some pretty horrible ways.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, MagyarAgar said:

Only because it was not tried in the past or did not work out in the past, does not mean it would not work out today. Circumstances and dogs change. The quarry changes, the environment changes.
How else would you get new interesting crosses? If we all would run the same cross over and over again the lurcher game would be very bland, in my opinion. 
Reminds me of the people at work who always say „That’s how it was always done here“, super bad for innovation…
Outcrossing to the best what’s out there is kind of the beauty of lurchers in my book.

But, to each their own!

All the best!

What quarry has changed in the UK in the last 100years?Also what environment has changed?Cant recall any deserts appearing over here either.Not saying everyone should run the same cross but there are already multiple crossed and types that through years of selective breeding excell at their chosen quarry/land.Really cant see what the galgo would add to any of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Now, I've nothing against galgo's, some of them I've seen on video seem very capable, but if they are so good, and available almost on our doorstep, and far easier to import, why did people go to the great bother and expense of importing Salukis from the Middle East to breed and improve coursing dogs in the UK ?

Cheers.

Because no one here knew they existed, if we sent troops to Spain we'd perhaps have had them years ago?, everyone else has, they're used in the North and south of America, North Africa into the middle east and Russia.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Slough just another saluki but  bigger type in my opinion. 

They are each separate breeds, each has similarities to their nearest neighbours geographically as one would expect but each is distinct. The 1st two groupings from the Mediterranean and far east are known as ancient breeds in that there is no genetic link back to a preceding type, the greyhound and Magyar have genetic links back to a herding type and i'm not sure about the others but as they are not known as ancient breeds likely have a similar background breeds.
This study reveals that some of the breeds are closer than others.
- Sloughi and Azawakh
- Sloughi and Galgo espanol

- Saluki and Afghan Hound

- Scottisch Deerhound and Irish Wolfhound; both stand apart from the other Sighthounds

- Borzoi and Chart Polski

- Greyhound and Magyar Agar

Edited by sandymere

Don't make sense, when these breeds started they were types. How can the deerhound not be closely related to the greyhound? Hunting dogs were bred best to best , if they didn't put meat on the table they didn't last long didn't matter if they had rough or smooth.

18 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

If by coursing dogs you mean lurchers types ? Then galgoes have been imported to cross with lurcher just as much as salukies .

18 hours ago, mC HULL said:

if you have what you want why would you out cross to a different breed \??

More heat resistance and the ability to keep a high pace over a longer duration. I do not say that you could not get that through crossing to other dogs, but the galgo seems to be viable option.

Due to my local laws I can not legally use my dog for hunting, and so another outlet for her is bike joring and for that in particular these traits would be very much appreciated. 

3 hours ago, downsouth said:

What quarry has changed in the UK in the last 100years?Also what environment has changed?Cant recall any deserts appearing over here either.Not saying everyone should run the same cross but there are already multiple crossed and types that through years of selective breeding excell at their chosen quarry/land.Really cant see what the galgo would add to any of them.

I can not speak authoritatively for the UK, but over here some quarry disappeared, laws changed and so on.

I am not based in the UK, but over here the summer and winters are generally warmer than 100 years ago and the ground sometimes has a desert like quality. Therefore heat resistance and good feet are desirable traits for me.

Generally I would say the galgo is similar in his abilities to a saluki and this cross is relatively popular so why not try the galgo instead/additionally?

30 minutes ago, MagyarAgar said:

More heat resistance and the ability to keep a high pace over a longer duration. I do not say that you could not get that through crossing to other dogs, but the galgo seems to be viable option.

Due to my local laws I can not legally use my dog for hunting, and so another outlet for her is bike joring and for that in particular these traits would be very much appreciated. 

I can not speak authoritatively for the UK, but over here some quarry disappeared, laws changed and so on.

I am not based in the UK, but over here the summer and winters are generally warmer than 100 years ago and the ground sometimes has a desert like quality. Therefore heat resistance and good feet are desirable traits for me.

Generally I would say the galgo is similar in his abilities to a saluki and this cross is relatively popular so why not try the galgo instead/additionally?

Mate a uk coursing bred or saluki have much more in the tank than a galago

We don't need heat resistance we need cold resistance lol?

• Like 1