Comparison Galgo vs. Greyhound

8 hours ago, sandymere said:

Not over here. They use them in North Africa to cross with Saluki types and in South America crossed with greyhounds and collies/cur dogs.

That’s a shame, I am eyeing a kelpie x greyhound and would not mind some galgo in the mix. I would hope such a cross could hold a fairly high pace for quite some time and at the same time be heat resistant. You gotta plan for the climate change future. ? 

But it sounds like that’s not going to happen. ? To exotic probably.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got mine in training for the battle of the slop bashers ????????

They are sensitive but biddable and trainable, I find them easy to live with, I'd put them somewhere between a greyhound and a saluki temperament wise. They have high prey drive and will run themselve

SANDY..!!!!!!!

Posted Images

5 hours ago, MagyarAgar said:

That’s a shame, I am eyeing a kelpie x greyhound and would not mind some galgo in the mix. I would hope such a cross could hold a fairly high pace for quite some time and at the same time be heat resistant. You gotta plan for the climate change future. ? 

But it sounds like that’s not going to happen. ? To exotic probably.

You could go for your name sake, i know a breeder in Europe that has puppies that would export, closely related to English greyhounds but still a little more coursing orientated physically.

FATAJ.HU

Az agarak jelentős szerepet töltöttek be az egész emberiség és a magyarság életében is. Hajdanában a kutyák közül…

hopefully you have google translate.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sandymere said:

You could go for your name sake, i know a breeder in Europe that has puppies that would export, closely related to English greyhounds but still a little more coursing orientated physically.

FATAJ.HU

Az agarak jelentős szerepet töltöttek be az egész emberiség és a magyarság életében is. Hajdanában a kutyák közül…

hopefully you have google translate.

Is this particular breeder using them for hunting? The Magyar Agars I know of are at best bred for racing at worst as show dogs…

38 minutes ago, MagyarAgar said:

Is this particular breeder using them for hunting? The Magyar Agars I know of are at best bred for racing at worst as show dogs…

They run hares with them, not sure how much they do but they do some.

42 minutes ago, sandymere said:

They run hares with them, not sure how much they do but they do some.

Sandy, do you remember about 2 years ago, a girl posting about the borzaya hortaya, like a borzoi but smooth coated and not as tall?

I went on you tube and watched several of those dogs, and similar 'types' coursing and catching european brown hares.  Certainly looked a robust type with enough speed and stamina for proper hare coursing.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, shaaark said:

Sandy, do you remember about 2 years ago, a girl posting about the borzaya hortaya, like a borzoi but smooth coated and not as tall?

I went on you tube and watched several of those dogs, and similar 'types' coursing and catching european brown hares.  Certainly looked a robust type with enough speed and stamina for proper hare coursing.

Yes there's a few types coursing in Eastern Europe. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Don’t be silly, I’ll stick to the kelpie cross.  An leave you part timers to your fad dogs ??

I haven’t run any but what I run for donkeys mate lol

I definitely wouldnt put me coursing bred bitch that was good to a galago ? ?

Edited by mC HULL