Mod selection (part 2)

Moving on from my earlier thread regarding mod selection for the FX Verminator I was going to buy, well as most of you know that didn't happen and my order was switched to an FX Wildcat Mk3 in .22 fac.  The gun arrived to my complete delight although typical Sportsman company, three weeks late and still awaiting delivery of the spare magazine ?, the gun is cracking although I have not had too much time to spend in the field with it so far but one thing I had hoped for was to run two pellet types, AA Field Heavy for normal hunting and JSB RS for closer ratting and to that end, the AA pellets at full power are virtually the same point of impact as the RS pellet at lowest power setting, winner winner.

The mod, yes I got there eventually, this was something I was not too sure about and popped on a spare SAK rimfire mod which worked fine but in the shop they had the Weihrauch XL which in the shop was much quieter when dry fired. In the 25mt shop range the Weihrauch still was quieter and looks good on the gun.

I have not bought the Weihraugh but I picked it up today to test at home because at £100 I don't see the point of blowing an extra ton out of the old pension if there is no advantage.  I shot it out of the garden across the field and to be honest, there was very very little difference, slightly quieter when shooting into the trees and when the rain stops, I will pop down to the local cattle farm and shoot around the buildings to compare the two mods.

The Weihrauch XL is larger and weighing in at 200gr, 10 gr heavier than the SAK so nothing to really be concerned about so just the last test to do and either the Weihrauch will stay or go back to the shop depending on the results.  I did phone Hull Cartridge to find out about the Weihrauch XLK but that one is not suited to fac and the XL is not made in .25 which is a shame as I would have one for the Impact. One amusing point was that I told the guy it was for an FX and he said well we can't garurantee they will work on guns other than Weihrauch guns........................................... silly boy.

Weihrauch mod in place

DSCF3765.JPG

The SAK mod in place

DSCF3763.JPG

DSCF3759.JPG

I will let you know the outcome, spend £100 or stick with my rimmy mod for free.

Phil

• Like 3

Just been to the dairy farm to try the mods inbetween the big sheds to see if there is much difference and to be honest the Weihrauch has the edge with better dampening. Do I think it is worth a ton extra to get that bit quieter ............................................................ hmmm, not sure that it is but I confess I do like this mod however now awaiting to hear more from Mitch regarding a mod made by Paul Finch.  Interesting test and I popped off two ferals in the test so even better.

Phil

14 hours ago, villaman said:

Phil ,  mate has just got a paul finch mod , he said its on par with HW mod but only 110 mm but circumference is 50 mm . He can make them longer and smaller diameter 

A 2'' mod on the Wildcat is going to be overlapping the gauge I think although 110mm long sounds good ( the XL is 200mm long ) but does he have a website so I can see what is available as it could be a better bet for the Impact because there is room for improvement there although in open ground it makes little difference but the Wildcat is going to be used in other areas so getting the best result I can is high on my agenda.  I have found only one reference to Paul Finch and that was someone selling one of his mods which was a 3D printed job, are all his made this way Mitch.

Phil

4 hours ago, philpot said:

A 2'' mod on the Wildcat is going to be overlapping the gauge I think although 110mm long sounds good ( the XL is 200mm long ) but does he have a website so I can see what is available as it could be a better bet for the Impact because there is room for improvement there although in open ground it makes little difference but the Wildcat is going to be used in other areas so getting the best result I can is high on my agenda.  I have found only one reference to Paul Finch and that was someone selling one of his mods which was a 3D printed job, are all his made this way Mitch.

Phil

I believe they are Phil