Stockbreaking Advice

Just wondering on everybodies take on stockbreaking.

How did you go about it? I have a keen youngster here that would run amok with livestock given 1/2 the chance. Recall is decent but at 9 months is going through his rebellious teenage phase 

thank in advance

Some dogs make it easy and some don't. Really you should have it covered by now. But what ever you do try not to let the dog have a crack at some thing because it will get harder.
This one didn't make it easy 

18340423468_4af47ac666_o.jpg.230f98208fa1d49a9b8bbca6dfdfdbca.jpg

4 minutes ago, terryd said:

Some dogs make it easy and some don't. Really you should have it covered by now. But what ever you do try not to let the dog have a crack at some thing because it will get harder.
This one didn't make it easy 

18340423468_4af47ac666_o.jpg.230f98208fa1d49a9b8bbca6dfdfdbca.jpg

8 minutes ago, Big Pow said:

How did you go about it? Exposure? Balance training?

knocked the stuff out of him in the end and his still not right. His ok but not to be trusted and boy did i try every thing. Spent more time around the sheep than the farmer. 

Edited by terryd
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Big Pow said:

Just wondering on everybodies take on stockbreaking.

How did you go about it? I have a keen youngster here that would run amok with livestock given 1/2 the chance. Recall is decent but at 9 months is going through his rebellious teenage phase 

thank in advance

I just walk mine threw sheep fields and keep them on lead and make it clear they are a no no and once they no longer pull on lead towards sheep I try and get a fence in-between us and sheep and let the youngster off and I try get the juckel to concentrate on me and not sheep and once they ok with that I take them threw the sheep on lead again and so on until they get it and I got to say its worked on all mine ,I got one who will give a bark to move a mob on if they in the way but other than that they fine ,horses I do the same and never had problem .I got one who will pin any bird stupid anufe to get close but other two don't bother with fowl .

Its best to get a pup out amongst sheep from early days when he's at a age he do no real harm and be around them from the start but I understand not everyone in that position. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Big Pow said:

Was hoping not to get to this stage but he is headstrong and may end up having to go down the admonishment route

Like moocher said a lead or a line and weigh the dog up and hopefully all will be well. Good luck with it 

2 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

I just walk mine threw sheep fields and keep them on lead and make it clear they are a no no and once they no longer pull on lead towards sheep I try and get a fence in-between us and sheep and let the youngster off and I try get the juckel to concentrate on me and not sheep and once they ok with that I take them threw the sheep on lead again and so on until they get it and I got to say its worked on all mine ,I got one who will give a bark to move a mob on if they in the way but other than that they fine ,horses I do the same and never had problem .I got one who will pin any bird stupid anufe to get close but other two don't bother with fowl .

Its best to get a pup out amongst sheep from early days when he's at a age he do no real harm and be around them from the start but I understand not everyone in that position. 

Yeah he’s also game for birds! Hunts right up on everyone he sees! Dont really think theres not anything he aint showed interest in! Aint had him around cattle yet but Im sure he’d think they were on the menu n all. Biggest problem around here is actually having a fence between us and livestock, seem to be free roaming the streets at the moment so never know what will pop up and where

His getting or got to the age where you can't pussy foot around because if he takes off his quite likely to pull a wooly down and its all down hill then and you will be wishing they hadn't banned ecollars in wales 

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, terryd said:

His getting or got to the age where you can't pussy foot around because if he takes off his quite likely to pull a wooly down and its all down hill then and you will be wishing they hadn't banned ecollars in wales 

Brake him on english sheep.