Walking a pup

Hello I'm just curious how long do you/would you walk a 3 month old pup for? I walk mine on and off lead untill he gets tired that could be 30 mins or 90mins etc he let's me kno but according to Internet he should only have 10mins.... It takes him that long to have a sniff and decide where he wants to have a piss lol one thing he is defo alot more chilled out after a long walk and his nippyness almost disappears maybe that's why I see so many posts on social media about puppy's nipping non stop ??‍♂️

As katchum said I let my pup tell me when it’s had enough … I go out all day with my pups however that includes sitting under a shady tree for an hour whilst the pup has a sleep and just mooching around some bushes for an hour. 

• Like 4

Personally,..and I could well be wrong?...I like to have a lurcher pup out with me, at the earliest possible age?

A lurchers 'lot in life' is frequently a difficult and hazardous adventure,...some make the cut, whilst others do not...

Its a great feeling, to look back and see a young tyke following on as best as he can, clamouring over obstacles, and dragging himself through mud -filled ditches .

These early walks out, are critical for a working dog's education....

I always try to introduce one new experience on every occasion, ..it is imperative to try and create a working partner,.that is as bombproof, as is possible..?

As for the correct distance,....I just allow a pup complete freedom,...and, if you are a genuine hunting man, your eyes will tell you, when it is time to lift your jukel.

Enjoy your dogs lads,..stay safe, regards, OldPhil?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 14

Same as above.. at that age I walked my pup until she had enough then worst case would just carry her home if I'd wandered too far. 

The whole 5 mins every month thing is bollocks if ya ask me, every pup is different right?

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, whitefeet4190 said:

It’s mental stimulation that will tire them out at that age more so than any running round 

Bit of play time

start with basics early …. Quality time bonding

no need to do the miles …. Not yet 

ATB .. T

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Personally,..and I could well be wrong?...I like to have a lurcher pup out with me, at the earliest possible age?

A lurchers 'lot in life' is frequently a difficult and hazardous adventure,...some make the cut, whilst others do not...

Its a great feeling, to look back and see a young tyke following on as best as he can, clamouring over obstacles, and dragging himself through mud -filled ditches .

These early walks out, are critical for a working dog's education....

I always try to introduce one new experience on every occasion, ..it is imperative to try and create a working partner,.that is as bombproof, as is possible..?

As for the correct distance,....I just allow a pup complete freedom,...and, if you are a genuine hunting man, your eyes will tell you, when it is time to lift your jukel.

Enjoy your dogs lads,..stay safe, regards, OldPhil?

scan0060.jpg

Your spot on mate. I've had him out at 8 weeks at loads of different places with different terrain. 

33 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Bit of play time

start with basics early …. Quality time bonding

no need to do the miles …. Not yet 

ATB .. T

I wasn't talking about an expedition lol just a decent walk. I was always told a tired dog is a happy dog but this 10 min per month I don't agree with. 

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

If your clued up enough to know when pup is letting on he tired then your already prob more qualified than some the clowns on the web pal, common sense goes a long way but remember it is a pup an it is not just now an you should be okay

Yeah two signals my pup gives me are he will either start biting the lead or he will have a lie down then its home time 

• Like 1

As soon as my pups get there jabs there out and about in the fields they will soon let u know when there our ready for home learning different smells sounds getting under gates wire just getting into everything it all pays off later on in life for them 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Mooseontheloose said:

Hello I'm just curious how long do you/would you walk a 3 month old pup for? I walk mine on and off lead untill he gets tired that could be 30 mins or 90mins etc he let's me kno but according to Internet he should only have 10mins.... It takes him that long to have a sniff and decide where he wants to have a piss lol one thing he is defo alot more chilled out after a long walk and his nippyness almost disappears maybe that's why I see so many posts on social media about puppy's nipping non stop ??‍♂️

Spot on mate… enjoy your dog

three short ones better than a long un ….

im sure you know the score … can’t beat a pup

ATVB …. T

• Like 1

Out and about with me every day and will be all season, making her first catch at the weekend while on a early morning mooch ? it’s a start ? and all just games to her at the min but will pay off in the future. I can’t do with learning a pup and breaking to stock at at about ten months or older the teenage age, it’s too hard work when their at that head strong age.

3EDAA903-E79F-4DFB-A468-9445FABB9845.jpeg

3FEDADEB-3525-494C-BA62-407D00B57391.jpeg

• Like 11

My next pup  I am going to do the opposite and mentally stimulate train and bond for the first 6-7 months the miles can can come after. 

This little sod was marking like a pro at 6 months and flushed his first rabbit way before that. Once his hunting kicked in it was all down hill ?

14173947397_b13d035721_o.jpg.15faa0f7a7d376c8ebd62a3049f79d40.jpg

15060160606_52c8eeb644_o.jpg.7007414469ca8b1c6ea3f26773b40995.jpg

Edited by terryd
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, terryd said:

My next pup  I am going to do the opposite and mentally stimulate train and bond for the first 6-7 months the miles can can come after. 

This little sod was marking like a pro at 6 months and flushed his first rabbit way before that. Once his hunting kicked in it was all down hill ?

14173947397_b13d035721_o.jpg.15faa0f7a7d376c8ebd62a3049f79d40.jpg

15060160606_52c8eeb644_o.jpg.7007414469ca8b1c6ea3f26773b40995.jpg

He's certainly got that look in his eye LOL.