Best cheaper diet for a pup?

4 hours ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

I know it’s been asked before, and that the answer for the best diet is raw meat and veg but that costs a lot of money to do

is there a more affordable way of getting that sort of diet for a pup? 

give the dog to someone that can aford to keep and feed it properly  ,    you just go buy a hamster  they are cheap to feed:blink:

Get a decent bag of dry it lasts ages with a pup and you can all ways add eggs and chicken which is cheap as or what ever  else you can find. Then once 6 months can move onto this 

WWW.PETSATHOME.COM

ProductShortDescription is available to buy online at Pets at Home, the UK's largest pet shop with fast delivery and low prices

at 11.50 a bag. My dogs had it all his life and looks fine though slightly crazy

IMG_7173.JPG.15b177638800f3045d00cd66780825b7.JPG

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

Minced meat(chicken, beef, lamb) and tripe are either 35p or 65p a lb at my supplier, can’t remember which price but even at 65p it’s still cheap. A kilo of duck necks or chicken wings is also cheap. Add a tray of eggs, some offal and a bag of frozen veg and imo that’s a cheap months feed for a dog! Personally I got a lot further than that with high quality grub but it’s achievable on a budget.

You should get a smallish chest freezer, on a Sunday afternoon hit the supermarket and you’ll find some bargains. 

• Like 1

I used to get all my dog meat from a local game dealer, it was very cheap, about 20p per pound, it included everything from steak to pork, offal, chicken carcasses, game, etc. Sadly he retired and closed down.

Now I get mince chicken, minced green tripe, minced salmom, rabbit, etc, from a local tripe dealer, 60p per pound, still cheap in my opinion.

As has been said, you can pick up trays of mince, chicken, etc from the "reduced " shelves of the supermarkets.

A kilo bag of chicken wings for £1:80, three kilo of chicken thighs for under a fiver.

If your budget doesn't stretch to those rather modest prices, perhaps you should be thinking if you should really be having a dog.

Cheers.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I used to get all my dog meat from a local game dealer, it was very cheap, about 20p per pound, it included everything from steak to pork, offal, chicken carcasses, game, etc. Sadly he retired and closed down.

Now I get mince chicken, minced green tripe, minced salmom, rabbit, etc, from a local tripe dealer, 60p per pound, still cheap in my opinion.

As has been said, you can pick up trays of mince, chicken, etc from the "reduced " shelves of the supermarkets.

A kilo bag of chicken wings for £1:80, three kilo of chicken thighs for under a fiver.

If your budget doesn't stretch to those rather modest prices, perhaps you should be thinking if you should really be having a dog.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, ollieollie said:

Minced meat(chicken, beef, lamb) and tripe are either 35p or 65p a lb at my supplier, can’t remember which price but even at 65p it’s still cheap. A kilo of duck necks or chicken wings is also cheap. Add a tray of eggs, some offal and a bag of frozen veg and imo that’s a cheap months feed for a dog! Personally I got a lot further than that with high quality grub but it’s achievable on a budget.

You should get a smallish chest freezer, on a Sunday afternoon hit the supermarket and you’ll find some bargains. 

5 hours ago, terryd said:

Get a decent bag of dry it lasts ages with a pup and you can all ways add eggs and chicken which is cheap as or what ever  else you can find. Then once 6 months can move onto this 

WWW.PETSATHOME.COM

ProductShortDescription is available to buy online at Pets at Home, the UK's largest pet shop with fast delivery and low prices

at 11.50 a bag. My dogs had it all his life and looks fine though slightly crazy

IMG_7173.JPG.15b177638800f3045d00cd66780825b7.JPG

8 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

What sort money you think is a lot? ? you can feed a dog a decent meal for about same price as a Mars bar, an that’s being lazy an just grabbing a block meat out freezer ffs?‍♂️ Put in bit more effort an price will go down.  Prob cost you more buying a tin a dog food a day, or even a sack a half decent kibble ? I not bought dog meat in a while now but surely prices ain’t went up that much? I’m sure I was feeding 2 lurchers an a terrier for a bit more than a quid a day of I filled a freezer sn that was decent grub ?

that actually is a lot better than i thought it would be, only reason i thought it was so much was because the only person i know with their dog on a proper raw diet says it costs them a fortune but glad to know i can get the proper food for a good price

3 minutes ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

that actually is a lot better than i thought it would be, only reason i thought it was so much was because the only person i know with their dog on a proper raw diet says it costs them a fortune but glad to know i can get the proper food for a good price

So what have you been feeding it up untill now?

My lurcher is on Skinners which he does well enough on - plus its £20 for a 15kg bag. I throw a few other bits in with it too, lambs heads, chicken wings/carcasses, tripe etc.

U'll be surprised what u can get for nowt from the butchers, mine fills up bin bags full of stuff that is only getting thrown away. Definitely get yourself a chest freezer if you got the space.