Scotland west coast trip.. tell me where to go!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dropped down the coast for our second week.. about half hour south of Oban at Melfort.. nice little set of holiday let's right on the shore of the loch. Talking of fishing, the father in law had

Some way up that is mate!! We're moving south for our second week on Saturday. Staying on the shore of Loch Melfort. The father in law has brought a few rods along so we'll see what comes of it.

Just come back from a little trip doing what they call the North Coast 500 started in Inverness right up the A9 to Wick....across the other side to Durness,all down the West coast....Ullapool,Lochinve

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, bell said:

It’s a buzzard mate. 

Ahh.. yes, it could well be!!

The lack of trees put me off it being a buzzard when i thought about it after. There were probably a few trees dotted about on that island, but no woods or anything. Not that i noticed anyway...?

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

Ahh.. yes, it could well be!!

The lack of trees put me off it being a buzzard when i thought about it after. There were probably a few trees dotted about on that island, but no woods or anything. Not that i noticed anyway...?

Up on the west coast they will be on cliffs and rocky ground, classic hanging in the wind pose ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bell said:

Up on the west coast they will be on cliffs and rocky ground, classic hanging in the wind pose ?

I got you mate!!..?

What if i throw Hen Harrier into the mix?? 

I've never knowingly seen one before. Just being a brown shade through the bins.. could have been a female and a juvenile. Obviously.. the male is grey.

I was on the isle of Luing mate.. seen a population map doing a search yesterday.. looks like Hen Harriers are about!! 

6 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

I got you mate!!..?

What if i throw Hen Harrier into the mix?? 

I've never knowingly seen one before. Just being a brown shade through the bins.. could have been a female and a juvenile. Obviously.. the male is grey.

I was on the isle of Luing mate.. seen a population map doing a search yesterday.. looks like Hen Harriers are about!! 

Pic is way too chunky for Harrier, the standout feature is the big white arse on HH......great birds to see mind, I’m up the west coast tomorrow to a spot that has them..

• Like 1

Just thought I'd throw this up on here.. interesting to see i reckon.

I clocked our milage in the car over the two weeks. Pulling off the drive, to pulling back on. We had a busy first week out and about everywhere but then more relaxed second week.

Toatal miles came to 1604.

I wondered how far this would get me in a straight line.

A quick Google.. and i got the answer below.

Fuk.. i could have gone to the Ukraine.. and taken some these locals back with me!!?

Screenshot_20210815-134851_Chrome.jpg.ca7cd4332e93ed773494aab507582f8f.jpg

• Haha 2

Just come back from a little trip doing what they call the North Coast 500 started in Inverness right up the A9 to Wick....across the other side to Durness,all down the West coast....Ullapool,Lochinver and all them places down as far as Applecross and then back to Inverness......ive seen bits of Scotland before but stone me i was flabbergasted,unbelievable scenery !....even the Jocks were pleasant......has the makings of a beautiful peaceful way of life....a life worth fighting for !

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 13/08/2021 at 20:28, Bush Rummager said:

Anyway.. need a bop identifying if anyone fancies it.

Had ride out to a really really remote spot on little island on the west coast here. Pulled in at view point and got the sandwiches out.

I clocked this bird straight away, another showed later.. but i just passed it off as Buzzard. Pretty much same size and colour without getting the bins on it. 

Well i got distracted stuffing my face and ended up messing about with the kids stacking some rocks up!!?

So took my eye off the ball so to speak untill it was time to leave.

I'd realised by now these birds weren't Buzzards.. and they'd drifted away a bit.. and i only managed the one pic with the phone upto the bins.. lol. These birds were hanging in the wind fair bit a calling alot.. could have been a nest site on the ground. Also the call confirmed they weren't Buzzards. Kicking myself for not getting better pics as we were quite close to them.

The one and only pic.. absolutely cropped it to death!

20210810_133814.jpg.89a91b3ed81307607abdf82a2bd8a3e2.jpg

Grabbed a screen shot off Google earth.. above the grassy knoll/ hill they were..

245153456_2021-08-1319_50_41.jpg.0696d55676d34a3fcd99e198592dcfe1.jpg

and the rock art....?

20210810_132548-01.jpeg.c9705683aca787eeb49ea1d50cdcd888.jpeg

That's the first time in my life I have read " grassy knoll " without it being a reference to JFK ,well done you .

3 hours ago, Astanley said:

That's the first time in my life I have read " grassy knoll " without it being a reference to JFK ,well done you .

Cheers mate... I'll take that one then thanks!

Mind.. those Hen Harriers do like a grassy knoll...

1629375348717.jpg.e119f887bfd24d5d84c1ca1f24f0197f.jpg

Appologies.. i really should delete that app on my phone!!?

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Just come back from a little trip doing what they call the North Coast 500 started in Inverness right up the A9 to Wick....across the other side to Durness,all down the West coast....Ullapool,Lochinver and all them places down as far as Applecross and then back to Inverness......ive seen bits of Scotland before but stone me i was flabbergasted,unbelievable scenery !....even the Jocks were pleasant......has the makings of a beautiful peaceful way of life....a life worth fighting for !

Sounds a right adventure that does! I know a hell of alot of folk around me in the East mids that have never visited Scotland.. purly because they begrudge burning a tank of fuel to get up there. I can never understand than. Their choice and loss i suppose!!

You must have travelled along the Applecross pass then mate. That's the stretch of single track road that leaves Applecross and heads East towards Lochcarron. 

The Applecross pass includes the infamous Bealach na Ba.. a very tasty bit of road.. especially if you're driving a motor home!!! 

We drove it going out Westwards. It was fairly busy.. but we made it through unscathed bar a few verbals with a hairy motorcyclists!!

HIDDENSCOTLAND.CO

Remote, scary, challenging, breath-taking and never to be forgotten. This is the road over the mountains to Applecross. This was built as a pass for cattle.

19 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

Sounds a right adventure that does! I know a hell of alot of folk around me in the East mids that have never visited Scotland.. purly because they begrudge burning a tank of fuel to get up there. I can never understand than. Their choice and loss i suppose!!

You must have travelled along the Applecross pass then mate. That's the stretch of single track road that leaves Applecross and heads East towards Lochcarron. 

The Applecross pass includes the infamous Bealach na Ba.. a very tasty bit of road.. especially if you're driving a motor home!!! 

We drove it going out Westwards. It was fairly busy.. but we made it through unscathed bar a few verbals with a hairy motorcyclists!!

HIDDENSCOTLAND.CO

Remote, scary, challenging, breath-taking and never to be forgotten. This is the road over the mountains to Applecross. This was built as a pass for cattle.

Hello mate no we/i bottled it ?....there was 2 places we veered off the route and that was one of them,from Shieldaig we went across to Kalnikill as there was a little spot i wanted to find,then went down to Applecross from there and took the same route out to get back across to Inverness.....we bumped into a couple of biker chaps doing the route a few times who warned us against Bealach,they said we probably wouldnt enjoy it as its so stressful driving,and apparently there are far fewer passing places which considering i hate reversing this thing made the decision for me really !.....also the fact there is only 1 viewing area compared to the 3 or 4 on the way we went.....i mean whats the point if you cant stop to take it all in.

Ended up doing nearly 1600 miles in just shy of a week......it done me in to be quite honest but all good practise for the mighty Hammers tour of Europe coming up ?

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, socks said:

@ gnasher I thought you might have jumped in your wagon and come on down to the fishing comp ……

What with the footie season back in full swing are you mad.....i only fished once and made a right fuckery of it....where is it anyway,and when ?