Scotland west coast trip.. tell me where to go!!

On 07/08/2021 at 06:59, pesky1972 said:

The NC500 and now covid have destroyed the most beautiful part of Scotland for me. 

Friends up there have said the same. Too many camper vans and the people wild camping aren’t proper wild campers. Just leaving their shite everywhere. I’ve spent a lot of time in the Glencoe and Fort William areas. I’m going to load up the sea kayak and paddle around some of the islands. Final plan will be to head up there for a couple of months in the van and sea kayaks. See some places from the coast and have a walk and cycle about. 

• Like 3

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dropped down the coast for our second week.. about half hour south of Oban at Melfort.. nice little set of holiday let's right on the shore of the loch. Talking of fishing, the father in law had

Some way up that is mate!! We're moving south for our second week on Saturday. Staying on the shore of Loch Melfort. The father in law has brought a few rods along so we'll see what comes of it.

Just come back from a little trip doing what they call the North Coast 500 started in Inverness right up the A9 to Wick....across the other side to Durness,all down the West coast....Ullapool,Lochinve

Posted Images

On 26/07/2021 at 10:39, TOMO said:

depends on how far you want to drive each day.....a nice drive from where you are the first week would be up through Torridon ...kinlockewe ...up the side of loch maree to Gairloch ....then at poolewe you could drive up lochewe to firemoore sands beach which is stunning and if you have kids they will love that beach as will you....if the tide is out there is a natural pool about 2 feet deep that quite large but great for the kids to play in ...also at poolewe if your in laws or yourself are in to gardening there is Inverewe gardens to have look round ...its national trust so if your a member its free...

theres a nice little eatery at Gairloch called the steading little bistro type place ...if its nice weather its nice sat outside ....or of course have a picnic at firemore sands

Got second you on that area Tomo Stayed in some little cabins at Kinlockewe cracking area many moons ago now. Would have loved to have explored Gairloch a bit more but my family both my Sisters family very restricting Lol. Only draw back in them bloody midges.

Was asking about fishing a Gairloch locals reckon was good and it did look good mind was a while ago.

Did get up on some of the tops around Kinlockewe views stunning with herds of Stags if you can creep up to see them. Also Red or White throated divers in ponds right on top never seen them before.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
On 08/08/2021 at 08:14, Arry said:

Got second you on that area Tomo Stayed in some little cabins at Kinlockewe cracking area many moons ago now. Would have loved to have explored Gairloch a bit more but my family both my Sisters family very restricting Lol. Only draw back in them bloody midges.

Was asking about fishing a Gairloch locals reckon was good and it did look good mind was a while ago.

Did get up on some of the tops around Kinlockewe views stunning with herds of Stags if you can creep up to see them. Also Red or White throated divers in ponds right on top never seen them before.

Cheers Arry

no mate back when we went on holiday up there when i was kid between the age of 10... 15-16 i never did any hiking ...i was fishing mad back then ....so i fished at firmoore of the rocks....fished at poolewe ....back then below the bridge in the village you could fish without issue ..but not above the bridge ....we spun for sea trout and salmon below the bridge ...

also fished at gairloch under  the pier ...and we often went out on day fishing trips on the boats....funily enough i can still remember how much they cost £5.50 for the day....where we caught a few good species ...cod haddock Pollack coaly gurnard etc

• Like 3

Dropped down the coast for our second week.. about half hour south of Oban at Melfort.. nice little set of holiday let's right on the shore of the loch.

Talking of fishing, the father in law had his rod out and dropped onto some Mackerel off the jetty here.. only a minute walk from the cottage.. he was well chuffed with that and my eldest couldn't wait to get a couple ready for the oven!!

IMG-20210811-WA0000.jpg.20ec156b393623bd76e2a3652e71000e.jpg

I went for a poke about up some hills yesterday and with the bins i could make out the father in law with both my daughters on the jetty after yet more Mackerel. To be honest they've really took to the hour or two's fishing after the daily trip out in the car. You could say they're hooked!! (ffs?) You can just make the jetty out in the pic.. near side shore, just to the left. Otters, seals and loads of bird life here. Bonus Stoat on the garden too yesterday morning!! lol.. 

20210810_180221-01.jpeg.3a9a837b4bf0fa9b915b1e80187e9917.jpeg

• Like 9
On 11/08/2021 at 20:56, Bush Rummager said:

Dropped down the coast for our second week.. about half hour south of Oban at Melfort.. nice little set of holiday let's right on the shore of the loch.

Talking of fishing, the father in law had his rod out and dropped onto some Mackerel off the jetty here.. only a minute walk from the cottage.. he was well chuffed with that and my eldest couldn't wait to get a couple ready for the oven!!

IMG-20210811-WA0000.jpg.20ec156b393623bd76e2a3652e71000e.jpg

I went for a poke about up some hills yesterday and with the bins i could make out the father in law with both my daughters on the jetty after yet more Mackerel. To be honest they've really took to the hour or two's fishing after the daily trip out in the car. You could say they're hooked!! (ffs?) You can just make the jetty out in the pic.. near side shore, just to the left. Otters, seals and loads of bird life here. Bonus Stoat on the garden too yesterday morning!! lol.. 

20210810_180221-01.jpeg.3a9a837b4bf0fa9b915b1e80187e9917.jpeg

Not far from me lovely place 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, big sid said:

shame its full of scots

Got on sound with them to be honest mate.. always more than happy to stop and have a friendly chat with.

Although i did see a bloke working on a ferry the other day.. looked like he belonged on the Goonies..?

19 minutes ago, Bush Rummager said:

Got on sound with them to be honest mate.. always more than happy to stop and have a friendly chat with.

Although i did see a bloke working on a ferry the other day.. looked like he belonged on the Goonies..?

Hes english

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Bush Rummager said:

theyre horrible hobbit like creatures that cant speak very well and keep repeating och aye the noo, and they keep wee dogs called haggis's that have two legs shorter than the other two to help the run round the mountain tops.

Edited by big sid
  • Haha 2

Anyway.. need a bop identifying if anyone fancies it.

Had ride out to a really really remote spot on little island on the west coast here. Pulled in at view point and got the sandwiches out.

I clocked this bird straight away, another showed later.. but i just passed it off as Buzzard. Pretty much same size and colour without getting the bins on it. 

Well i got distracted stuffing my face and ended up messing about with the kids stacking some rocks up!!?

So took my eye off the ball so to speak untill it was time to leave.

I'd realised by now these birds weren't Buzzards.. and they'd drifted away a bit.. and i only managed the one pic with the phone upto the bins.. lol. These birds were hanging in the wind fair bit a calling alot.. could have been a nest site on the ground. Also the call confirmed they weren't Buzzards. Kicking myself for not getting better pics as we were quite close to them.

The one and only pic.. absolutely cropped it to death!

20210810_133814.jpg.89a91b3ed81307607abdf82a2bd8a3e2.jpg

Grabbed a screen shot off Google earth.. above the grassy knoll/ hill they were..

245153456_2021-08-1319_50_41.jpg.0696d55676d34a3fcd99e198592dcfe1.jpg

and the rock art....?

20210810_132548-01.jpeg.c9705683aca787eeb49ea1d50cdcd888.jpeg

• Like 2