Anyone have any advice on introducing a (slightly) older dog, to an established pup?

Long story short, a lad is having to rehome his dog due to his circumstances and I'm going to be taking him on. For note the dog is just turned 2.

I currently have an 11 month old bitch at home who's well established in her environment and I'm looking for pointers as to help the intro go as smooth as possible.

Im taking my bitch with me to pick him up so they'll be walked together and I can see how they get along at the off, but once we're back home, are there any pointers anyone's got to make sure things go nice and smooth?

TIA.

Edited by 3dumb

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the boyo thats coming home. 

Going off their ages and genders I'd say the worst thing that will happen is your house getting trashed from them constantly playing and arsing around.

Until bitch comes on season then its fun and games ? ?

Posted Images

well, as it dog and bitch  intro , your bitch will be the boss, and put him in his place, unless he nasty temp dog , you wont hve a prob, and if he nasty temp animal, i deff think twice about having anyway. with lurchers in general  they norm sort there selves out. you find in racing kennels , its dog / bitch  kenneled together  , never to male  greyhounds , you get few bitches together , but as greyhounds can be killers once they fight , it 95% dog/ bitch.

• Like 2

If they get along on the walk when you get them home I’d leave the new dog on a lead for the first hour and see how they take to each other in her territory after that if it’s all good leave him off and just keep an eye out for the day should be all good!

• Like 4

oh , and you done the right thing meeting  out from each others property  , and when you feed them make sure thet got enough space from each other, once they settled down  abit , it will be bit more easy.

• Like 1

Introduce them in a place away from home ,like local park etc and let them walk together and get to know each other and like you say walk them together and keep a eye out at feed times and make sure they both have there own place to get away from either for a break ,hope everything turns out OK for you bud ,atb mooch 

• Like 1

Appreciate the responses fellas, thank you.

Wasn't aware that its common practise to kennel males with a bitch if not alone nor that the bitch is often the dominant... still pretty green with lurchers so always learning!... and there was me thinking he'd take her down a peg, haha.

The dog has a decent temperament.. comes from a house with 2 whippets so he shouldn't be too much for my whip X, even if he is like Arnie in comparison.

Nice to know common sense prevails in this instance, just wanted to have the advice of a few more experienced lurcher men.

Appreciate ya all, wish me luck!

Well, I dont know why I was worried. Minus a few nerves from my bitch when he first came bounding over, that couldn't have gone smoother. 

Both currently passed out on the back seat of the car as we drive home. 

Happy lad!

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Until bitch comes on season then its fun and games ? ?

Haha, dont! Thankfully we've only got to get through one season before shes ok to breed.

She can just go stay woth the missus lol.

16 hours ago, 3dumb said:

Haha, dont! Thankfully we've only got to get through one season before shes ok to breed.

She can just go stay woth the missus lol.

One season…how can you tell if a dogs worth breeding out of after one season? Teach me bro!….

3 hours ago, poxon said:

One season…how can you tell if a dogs worth breeding out of after one season? Teach me bro!….

Think you've got me twisted mate. Dont  remember sayin anything about her being "worth breeding", simply referring to age and amount of seasons she'll have had. 

Worst case I've only got one season to get through before any accidental pregnancy wouldnt f**k her up. That help?

• Like 1