Was reading on one the Facebook lurcher sites someone has acquired some young mink kits .I am aware that you require a licence to keep them , but was just wondering if anyone had any experience in the UK of working them with dogs .i  have seen the mink man videos on YouTube and seen him working them with his dogs and others . and they come across as fast hard little bstrds to be honest like a ferret polecat on roids.  

Edited by abrasivewheel

Never seen one worked other than the videos from the USA . I’m sure that you can’t get one from the wild in the uk and train it to hunt freely as if you don’t get it back then in the eyes of the law you have released a non native species…. Something on those lines. But hey…. What the eyes don’t see ?

i know the man that has ,either the full mink or part bred mink,and hes a mad fecker ...thankfully he lives on your island and not ours lol...he had them advertised on FB during the week ...

16 hours ago, abrasivewheel said:

Was reading on one the Facebook lurcher sites someone has acquired some young mink kits .I am aware that you require a licence to keep them , but was just wondering if anyone had any experience in the UK of working them with dogs .i  have seen the mink man videos on YouTube and seen him working them with his dogs and others . and they come across as fast hard little bstrds to be honest like a ferret polecat on roids.  

If you say working with a lurcher i don't see what one could do that a ferret couldn't .

36 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

Seen the you tube stuff.

only in America eh ?

I have seen polecat and polecat hybrids work.

they are a bit much with dogs.

Bit much for ferreting dog and a Bullx or similar would just

break em up.

Mink need culling in uk … just my opinion

ATB .. T

• Like 2

My one encounter with a mink hand reared by a ferreting friend suggested it would be too much for me. He had a very young mink kit brought to him by someone who thought it was an escaped ferret. Even after months of daily handling he was still wearing gloves, a falconry one to hold it and a softer leather one to pick it up with. It was unbelievably quick. If you've ever picked up a mean ferret that's spent time escaped......no comparison, thats a doddle. And of course it couldn't be housed with ferrets

On 23/07/2021 at 16:49, jigsaw said:

Screenshot_2021-07-23-16-46-49-534_com.facebook.katana.jpg

No denying they look nice ,I had a weasel yrs ago I found injured and took her home and fed her and realesed her once she was ok ,I never handled her apart from picking her up when I found her half dead and again when I realised her 3 months later ,she would  take  meat out me hand after a while  but I never wanted her to become tame as she was always going to be released and I let her go on a horse paddocks with good numbers of rabbits . 

• Like 5
On 23/07/2021 at 16:41, jigsaw said:

i know the man that has ,either the full mink or part bred mink,and hes a mad fecker ...thankfully he lives on your island and not ours lol...he had them advertised on FB during the week ...

He got them for sale ? Send me details if you could please mate

• Thanks 1