Dogs anxiety hearing shotgun noise any help please

I live in a semi rural location, when my whippet dog hears any type of shot gun noise he starts to pace up and down and starts to pant heavily.Has anyone else had this type of behaviour with theres and any ideas of how to sooth them and calm them down and its very distressing for both him and us seeing him like this.

Thanks in advance for any reply and help.

Adam

Get a starter pistol. Without the dog seeing the pistol, fire off a short blank. Then without reacting to the bang or speaking to the dog, give the dog one of it's favourite treats. It's important not to speak to the dog or show any reaction, apart from giving the treat. Repeat daily at first and gauge over a couple of weeks if the dog is improving. If it is step it up until the dog is solid ;)

My vizsla is gun shy, it was from a firework when she was a pup. Some tit the other side of our fence. Once instilled it’s hard to correct. She puts up with it now but still would rather it wasn’t happening 

my cocker and lurcher are fine. I start by walking them in hearing distance of a clay shoot but far away still. Lots of positive association. Then you can judge when you can move closer. Slow steps and often. Eventually I move to party poppers in the house combined with recall whistle at dinner time. 
Then starting pistol in all manner of situations. 

• Like 1

I always take my pups to country shows or clay pigeon shoots to get them used to the sound of gunfire.

The last couple of years my terrier who is coming up 13 has become gun shy.

There's a shoot over the river and even when there's a bit of end of season pigeon shooting going on, if we're out up the track opposite she's turning tail and heading for home.

Just an age thing I guess cos it used to be when she heard a gunshot it was dead fox up the tube time ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ADAM C said:

My whippet dog is nearly 12......never been bothered up until about 1-2 years ago now....as soon as he hears it he's a nervous wreck.

That’s a different kettle of fish all together. Same methods apply but it’s a tough nut to crack. As I said my vizsla who is also 12 will tolerate them now but she’ll never be happy about it

Deffo an age thing as said. Mine will sit in a hide and tell me what direction ducks are coming from as it gets dark and doesnt react to the gun at all other than wanting to plough out the hide and decimate what I have just shot. But over the last two three years fireworks and back firing exhausts have started bothering him. As for fix just build him up i guess but will be long haul

Edited by terryd
  • 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2021 at 12:35, ADAM C said:

I live in a semi rural location, when my whippet dog hears any type of shot gun noise he starts to pace up and down and starts to pant heavily.Has anyone else had this type of behaviour with theres and any ideas of how to sooth them and calm them down and its very distressing for both him and us seeing him like this.

Thanks in advance for any reply and help.

Adam

Get this cd play it at a low volume at first  then slowly increase,ignore your dog if anxious and say this to other family members on  any certain sounds,atb  COA Noises & Sounds CD : Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

• 1 month later...