One of my favourite movie scenes

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, TOMO said:

and whilst were on private ryan.....whilst the scene of the landing is mind blowing....this scene makes my eyes well up...and the hairs stand up...when ryan in old age goes to cemetery in normandy...with his family his anguish and his emotions pouring out for his dead buddies ....great scene 

Have you ever been to the war cemeteries in France mate ?

A good pal of mine went and he said they were doing the tour with the guide.

Anyway, they spot a single lone grave away from all the others and the guide says “I bet you are all wondering why that grave is all alone?”

So he told them, it was the old groundsmen and he had cared for the graves for like 50 years or something and before he died he asked if he could be buried with “his boys” because he never wanted to leave them.

I just think that is the most fantastic story.

• Like 6
29 minutes ago, TOMO said:

whilst we are on the subject of war films.....think this little masterpiece deserves a mention...

i rember going to the cinema to see it.....and before hand not knowing anything about the film....then a few mins in you see these scenes and the thing with cinema is ..its bloody loud.....by christ was a gripped to the seat ....for us lads that have never been in the army or in  battle ...its kind of the closest thing we could come to it....and to see the shear destruction ..fear..inhumanity..bravery ...and every other emotion....was just mind blowing...

If they had made that film about Stiffmeisters military career it would have been 35 seconds long and involved a Buffoon with a Brennan Huff hairdo tripping up out of a plane door at Camp Bastion and then coming too at the end of the war ! 

• Haha 3
9 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

This one takes some beating ;

Makes you wonder how they managed to lose the war.......

Cheers.

Good shout that ?……Kilgore has to be one of the greatest movie characters ever.

26 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Pendejo ???

A Mexican word which means something along the lines of cnut/b*****d/dickhead ?

Slightly earlier in the film they are told it’s a greeting, I still have a box set of all there movies a must if you enjoy a puff ??

• Like 2
1 hour ago, WILF said:

Have you ever been to the war cemeteries in France mate ?

A good pal of mine went and he said they were doing the tour with the guide.

Anyway, they spot a single lone grave away from all the others and the guide says “I bet you are all wondering why that grave is all alone?”

So he told them, it was the old groundsmen and he had cared for the graves for like 50 years or something and before he died he asked if he could be buried with “his boys” because he never wanted to leave them.

I just think that is the most fantastic story.

i have been to a ww1 cemetery in north east france up in the Somme area....went in 2014 ..the centenary year of the start of ww1.....

just a little cemetery ....in the middle of the fields ...to be honest there are loads of them up in that area....its very humbling walking round seeing these young lads reading there names and seeing there age etc....then you look around and its a beautiful summers day ...in beautiful countryside and its hard to imagine the fear these guys must have gone through....  

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, TOMO said:

i have been to a ww1 cemetery in north east france up in the Somme area....went in 2014 ..the centenary year of the start of ww1.....

just a little cemetery ....in the middle of the fields ...to be honest there are loads of them up in that area....its very humbling walking round seeing these young lads reading there names and seeing there age etc....then you look around and its a beautiful summers day ...in beautiful countryside and its hard to imagine the fear these guys must have gone through....  

I noticed the little grave yards in farmers fields as I went through France on the train mate…..as you say, it’a almost more of an impact than a big formal grave yard

• Like 1