smoking while pregnant

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feck me my misses smokes in the shower there was no way she was going to let a few baby’s slow her down ??

Look at us all , quick to jump on everything we apparently find abhorrent .    how quickly we are to condemn women, or actions , that we have no real justification in saying other than they are

Think things have moved on since you joined the home guard in 1939

I split up with my Mrs over it

i always said if we have kids you stop and she always said of course my hormones will kick in etc

she got pregnant refused to give up and kicked me out because she was guilt ridden

my lads fine but she was an older woman and a c**t to boot

Its wrong to smoke during pregnancy and all this what about abortions what about takeaways 

forget that

youre potentially cutting off the kiddies blood supply when you smoke

ihuge f***ing difference

as for abortion you’re terminating a life 

not potentially leaving a child with permanent disabilities for its life

• Like 1

Some interesting posts on this thred, heres my tuppence worth...

Now my Mrs comes from a family of smokers. Smokers like i'd never seen before. Her dad was a 60 a day bloke, mum 40+ and her brother, still will light a second fag in conversation, whilst he has one lit and pulls less than 4 times to finish.

Now my Mrs was at least a 20/30 a day smoker for the first 5 years of our relationship. Then, hey ho, she's pregnant and wanting to stop anyway shot straight to the Doctors for all the help she could get to quit.

Our Doc told her that it may be more detrimental to both her and the babies health if she took most of the stuff needed to quit and it may be even worse if she stopped cold turkey.

And so reluctantly she carried on, though much less through the pregnancy.

Our daughter was born and she was healthy and thats all that mattered...

Within weeks of the birth my wife packed in, direct, just stopped BUT she took a turn for the worst and serious depression struck. We were told it was a combination of the baby blues and going cold turkey on the fags. She/we battled that for 18 months, she went through hell and it was bad enough for us not to try for a second child...

My Mrs has never gone back to smoke, never will, she knows full well the issues it caused.

And my daughter is now 12, bright as a button and as sporty as you'd want a kid to be. She swims for the City Of Liverpool and i couldn't be more proud.

Maybe her mothers smoking will cause her problems in later life BUT the body, especially a young body, has a wonderful way of repairing itself and a sound diet and healthy lifestyle, she may live as long as her Gt.Grandmother, who was 97 the other week... ?

34 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Now my Mrs comes from a family of smokers. Smokers like i'd never seen before. Her dad was a 60 a day bloke, mum 40+ and her brother, still will light a second fag in conversation, whilst he has one lit and pulls less than 4 times to finish.

Now my Mrs was at least a 20/30 a day smoker for the first 5 years of our relationship. Then, hey ho, she's pregnant and wanting to stop anyway shot straight to the Doctors for all the help she could get to quit.

Our Doc told her that it may be more detrimental to both her and the babies health if she took most of the stuff needed to quit and it may be even worse if she stopped cold turkey.

Within weeks of the birth my wife packed in, direct, just stopped BUT she took a turn for the worst and serious depression struck. We were told it was a combination of the baby blues and going cold turkey on the fags. She/we battled that for 18 months, she went through hell and it was bad enough for us not to try for a second child...

My Mrs has never gone back to smoke, never will, she knows full well the issues it caused.

And my daughter is now 12, bright as a button and as sporty as you'd want a kid to be. She swims for the City Of Liverpool and i couldn't be more proud.

Maybe her mothers smoking will cause her problems in later life BUT the body, especially a young body, has a wonderful way of repairing itself and a sound diet and healthy lifestyle, she may live as long as her Gt.Grandmother, who was 97 the other week... ?

Nicely made points mate, great post...

My Mrs is only a social smoker, when she has a drink..

But she didn't touch a drop or smoke through her pregnancies, and personally I was happy for that... I might have a bit of an old fashioned view, but thats what sat right with me and her..

Was at a wedding a few weeks back, a d the sister of the bride is fairly heavily pregnant, glass of wine in one hand fag in the other...it might be judgemental but thats just not for me.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

that’s really interesting mate, and somewhat makes me feel a bit bad for my earlier post! 

But a lot of the folk I’ve met who are smoking while pregnant just say the science is nonsense etc etc.

Interestingly I think it’s a bit like alcohol, it doesn’t necessary automatically effect the kid, some get away with it some get screwed.

• Like 1

Look, i'll be honest, i'm the first person to deplore anyone that smokes throughout pregnancy BUT there are circumstances... My Mrs would of stopped if she could of and she never touched a drop of booze right through.

What really boils my piss are those that simply don't give a f**k whilst carrying and smoke and drink right through, to them pregnancy's is an inconvienience that will get them a meal ticket... 

2 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Look, i'll be honest, i'm the first person to deplore anyone that smokes throughout pregnancy BUT there are circumstances... My Mrs would of stopped if she could of and she never touched a drop of booze right through.

What really boils my piss are those that simply don't give a f**k whilst carrying and smoke and drink right through, to them pregnancy's is an inconvienience that will get them a meal ticket... 

Thing is mate, as your great post points out, you don’t know who that is just by looking.

For me, it’s another “easy” thing to kick up a fuss about because we don’t want to touch the hard things to address. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

When you join the army your told even tho your gonna be hit with some serious pt, if your a smoker not too quit during training as it’s already a stressful situation an cause a number of things, including worst case depression an suicide, just summat I remember from back in the day ?

Think things have moved on since you joined the home guard in 1939

• Haha 6
13 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Your pregnant you just stop it’s not heroin it’s a fag. 

That’s all good now you have all the relevant info, but in my days you were encouraged to smoke, the good guys in the movies all had a fag in there mouth and the cool ones on the adverts all smoked, it’s part of the process I went through to realise how easily the public are guided without even knowing it, you are all now being guided towards online gambling to replace the tobacco duty’s they will loose now you know the truth about fags, it’s all a big game of chess, and we are the pawns ✌️✌️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Greyman said:

That’s all good now you have all the relevant info, but in my days you were encouraged to smoke, the good guys in the movies all had a fag in there mouth and the cool ones on the adverts all smoked, it’s part of the process I went through to realise how easily the public are guided without even knowing it, you are all now being guided towards online gambling to replace the tobacco duty’s they will loose now you know the truth about fags, it’s all a big game of chess, and we are the pawns ✌️✌️

Just reading about the government's new boat tax, shocking. 

• Haha 1

Look at us all , quick to jump on everything we apparently find abhorrent . 

how quickly we are to condemn women, or actions , that we have no real justification in saying other than they are scum. 

did your own mother smoke ? 
no one I know Is going out getting twenty blue wicked in them at the third trimester . 

It’s a gradual cessation imho , not everyone who gets pregnant has the facilities, finances or gumption to live the perfect pregnancy from Instagram “glowing “ hashtags or Marie Claire articles 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2