Mate of mine aquired a cat under the same circumstances, it just turned up and took up residence. He called it Trevor, as well as all the names under the sun. Turns out Trev is a girl, he found that out on its first trip to the vet...!

When i got my first house, the old boy nextdoor had a cat that he used to talk to all day, it was his constant companion all day in the garden and he 'chatted' to it as only a man in his late 80's would.

Kept terriers back then, leggy Lakies that would of been perfect for work in rock. Was doing some work on the house one day, came in for tea and was looking out the back window, doing the dishes, when i noticed i'd left the step ladder leaning on the wall and the dog was missing. I dived out and peering over the wall, could see my dog reading the old boys moggy it's last rights...

I jumped the wall but it was all over and i lobbed both moggy and mutt over to my garden.

The old boy was out and i spent the rest of the day worried sick about how i broke the news to him about his beloved cat.

Eventually he came home and i steel myself into going round...

"Hi Ernie, err, i've got some bad news, your cat came into my garden and err, my dog has killed it" I stammered, thinking it would be a bit better changing the location to my garden...

"Eh?", the old boy said... And i repeated the 'tale' adding that i'd buy him a kitten to replace it.

"Eh', said Ernie again, "I don't have a cat?" he said.

I was thinking he was a bit senile as i said " the black and white one, you feed and talk to every day.."

A surprised look came over his face, "Oh, that one, it's not my cat, been feeding it for years, gets on my bloody nerves, i'm glad its gone"...

The relief i felt, as i dropped that dead moggy in the bin was almost euphoric... ?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

About 5/6 yrs ago I came home after a 4day festival, and standing on my garden fence was a big ol' hairy cat. My then Mrs opened the back door to shew if away, I stopped her, still full of "festival v

That's ok dave keep well ? 

dont get spot on just get a bullx

Posted Images

Reading back through this thread in regard to getting rid of fleas, or rather mopping up survivors:

A lit candle fixed in a plate of cooking oil. Not sure why it works and I'm not getting myself confused with moths, but it does. It draws them out and they jump towards the flame and die in the oil.

Not recommending that anyone tries it from an H&S perspective but after I once inadvertently got an temporary infestation in my bedroom as kid after sneaking a sick ferret inside I was told to do it, and stay awake all night which I did, and witnessed it happening. 

1 hour ago, eastcoast said:

Reading back through this thread in regard to getting rid of fleas, or rather mopping up survivors:

A lit candle fixed in a plate of cooking oil. Not sure why it works and I'm not getting myself confused with moths, but it does. It draws them out and they jump towards the flame and die in the oil.

Not recommending that anyone tries it from an H&S perspective but after I once inadvertently got an temporary infestation in my bedroom as kid after sneaking a sick ferret inside I was told to do it, and stay awake all night which I did, and witnessed it happening. 

Well.you learn summat new everyday now them mate the cat shows itself everyday and with us having lovely weather my door to the outside world is left open and in it pops hoping fer summat to eat or a place to kip.. This cooking oil tip would that be kilverts.   Trex  crisp and dry      I thank you ? 

I wasn't recommending anyone do it ? but if you stay awake? Obviously needs to be addressed at source 1st... the host. Good luck with building the relationship with your new mate. The older I get the softer I get and the more I appreciate the things that we gain from the symbiotic relationships that we sometimes develop with animals other than as hunting assistants. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, eastcoast said:

It does work. Try using petrol instead of cooking oil though 

Edited to say please don't use petrol ?. I chickened out and pictured some thick cnut burning to death. 

You can just use water, put a drop of washing up liquid in to break the surface tension 

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Haha 2