• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to a new stretch of river I got in December,to have a look for signal Crayfish. Put 10 traps in baited with mackerel,checked this morning and had 27 including this big one, plus a couple more big

I wouldn't call their reasoning a 'bag of shit'. They're desk jockeys, led by wader wearing scientists, all of whom are trying to keep shit by the book. What Is a bag of shit is that you will now

They won't do anything about otter numbers either. Lots of problems here with Pine Marten killing everything, but the powers that be, won't entertain any notion of controlling numbers. There was some

Posted Images

1 hour ago, socks said:

Them and mink won’t be around in 10 years time now that otters are thriving again in our rivers …….    

Nah, we got loads of Otter here lad, and still plenty of mink. Some places are walking with mink.

38 minutes ago, socks said:

The TB cull is the back door to controlling badger numbers and I’m sure they will Find a reason to keep the otters in check. 

They won't do anything about otter numbers either. Lots of problems here with Pine Marten killing everything, but the powers that be, won't entertain any notion of controlling numbers. There was some heat put on the government to do something about it from farmers and poultry keepers getting pissed off, and the Vincent Wildlife Trust wrote an article in the national newspapers, saying experts have said that Irish Pine Marten were predominantly vegetarian. I kid you not?

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Nah, we got loads of Otter here lad, and still plenty of mink. Some places are walking with mink.

They will Kill them and move them out when competition for food starts. It happened on my local river. 

23 minutes ago, socks said:

They will Kill them and move them out when competition for food starts. It happened on my local river. 

Yes I can happen, but don't bank on them making much of a difference. Most places have enough food to go around, and don't forget, both their diets vary. 

3 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Yes I can happen, but don't bank on them making much of a difference. Most places have enough food to go around, and don't forget, both their diets vary. 

But it’s survival of the fittest and as the otter numbers grow and spread and need more and more territory the smaller weaker mink will be killed and pushed out. As I said it would probably take around 10 years. 

10 minutes ago, socks said:

But it’s survival of the fittest and as the otter numbers grow and spread and need more and more territory the smaller weaker mink will be killed and pushed out. As I said it would probably take around 10 years. 

Won't happen lad. There is a large population of otter in Ireland. Probably best in Europe per square mile. Mink can live on rabbits, mice, frogs etc. Can feed happily without entering the water. Otter will spend most of his time hunting the water. The competition ain't that fierce. Mink numbers may fluctuate but they always come back. If it were gonna happen, it would have happened here twenty years ago, and I'd have nothing to trap lol

Otters were introduced into my local river around 6/7yrs ago...not caught or seen a mink since....and all the chub over 2lb have disappeared ?...I look after a few miles for my fishing club on the River Wye...always saw mink for the last 25 yrs when you fished a session...around 3 yrs ago the otters tipped up...no mink ?fishing has declined dramatically I shit you not...  big specimen fish are like rocking horse shit to find/catch...most barbel,carp,pike are marked up with bits missing ?the only thing we have to combat them ...is their lack of road sense..I give out a little yip of joy, everytime I see a cnut sunbathing on the side of the road?

Cormorants are another pest that need controlling,everywhere these days...

They were found in the Dearne at least 15 years ago. They are called Barnsley lobsters. Three traps baited with liver would get you around thirty in as many  minutes.

There is a 120 hectare lake near here that is full of them. You can't fish bait on the bottom and they will even come out of the water to raid a bait bucket. I take a trap with me when carp fishing.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MR TEA POT said:

From what I’ve seen USA as plenty of crayfish, not sure what state you are in but most states in US have them.

Lol was a joke bud. We buy 50lbs sacks of them when their in season lol

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, big sid said:

mr tea whats  a crayfish boil

You get a big pan and put potatoes, corn on the cob, sausage and crayfish, boil it till it’s cooked then put newspapers over a table and empty the pan contents on to table and dig in.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, MR TEA POT said:

You get a big pan and put potatoes, corn on the cob, sausage and crayfish, boil it till it’s cooked then put newspapers over a table and empty the pan contents on to table and dig in.

For got the shit loads of seasoning and beer 5e431cd982865.image.jpg.8ee754f63be95b388b46501e9a776682.jpg

• Like 2