Y'all can save alot of money and just get a roll of chicken wire and make pillow traps 

Their super easy used to make them all the time takes like 10min the fist time  and all you need is some rabbit cage clips or even just zip ties

1597548138_images(11).jpeg.ae3f4b2cb147385c42fa4b66b5b1f51d.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to a new stretch of river I got in December,to have a look for signal Crayfish. Put 10 traps in baited with mackerel,checked this morning and had 27 including this big one, plus a couple more big

I wouldn't call their reasoning a 'bag of shit'. They're desk jockeys, led by wader wearing scientists, all of whom are trying to keep shit by the book. What Is a bag of shit is that you will now

They won't do anything about otter numbers either. Lots of problems here with Pine Marten killing everything, but the powers that be, won't entertain any notion of controlling numbers. There was some

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Any better pic of opening or is a funnel? How big, I got wire an ties here, not even expecting to catch nowt as don’t think they this far up river but deffo In me local river, so gonna try an see ? be summat for kids to do 

No more pictures haven't made into in a while, when I get home  if I have some wire laying around I'll build one pretty quick and post pictures but here's a video of basically how I did mine. Only difference is I pained mine to help them deal with rust and I used rabbit clips instead of slip ties.

And here's a much better version. I really liked this one but their Abit more work  and cost compared to chicken wire. I added a bait cage in the middle of mine when I build these 

Since your craw fish are bigger I'd make my funnels Abit bigger ?

On 20/07/2021 at 09:46, MR TEA POT said:

Yes mate very good eating. The problem is getting a license from EA they won’t issue any north of Birmingham due to small pockets of native crayfish.

I had same problem up here in Nottinghamshire tried doing all legit but they wouldn't licence me,they gave a bag of

sh-t reasons for not doing so.

Red area only they will probably licence you if you apply. It was around 2 yrs ago that I  applied.

1972996119_Screenshot2021-07-24195808.jpg.db378c7ad8d69ef8a57ab55420c9bfdb.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gnipper said:

I think they are worried about people spreading them around. 

I reckon that would make sense ? I'm just used to over here most invasives don't require any real liscense . Snake heads ,pythons ,wild hogs ,iguanas ,ect just require something like a basic fishing license or similar. But different deal over there.

37 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Wait I thought these were invasive ? you have to be licensed to remove an invasive species? 

Because if they let anyone and everyone do it, idiots will end up catching and killing the native species  thar are protected

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Wait I thought these were invasive ? you have to be licensed to remove an invasive species? 

This was there reason for refusal.

Dear applicant

Thank you for your application to trap signal crayfish. Unfortunately on this occasion we must decline your application.

Yorkshire and its surrounding counties do not allow crayfish trapping due to risks associated with the activity.

The three main reasons for this decision are....

• The risk of spreading invasive crayfish and aquatic diseases through the use of traps and other equipment.

Traps and associated equipment are excellent vectors for invasive crayfish and aquatic diseases to reach new waters. As they are usually left unattended underwater, they can be taken by uninformed or malicious parties and used between waters easily by people who are unaware of the bio-security risks.

• Impacts on our native White-clawed crayfish populations

In Yorkshire we are lucky to still have populations of White-clawed crayfish and despite intense conservation efforts the species is still under threat.

Signal crayfish can carry a disease which is fatal to our native White-clawed crayfish. This crayfish plague is spread by a fungus which can wipe out a population in a matter of weeks.

There is also the risk of misidentification of species. Although crayfish can be distinctive, it is sometimes not as easy as it seems to identify species correctly.

• Trapping crayfish is often not an effective method of control and often leads to an increase in populations

Research has shown that trapping signal crayfish targets the dominant males, this removes the top predator from within the signal crayfish population. This allows younger less dominant males to breed more prolifically, leading to a population expansion. Trapping is therefore often counterproductive.

For further information on crayfish we suggest you visit the following websites which offer much more detailed explanations on the subject.

WWW.BUGLIFE.ORG.UK

We hope this explains the reasoning behind our decision to decline your application. If you would like to discuss this matter further please contact us via the consenting email address (fmapplications@environment-agency.gov.uk)

Fisheries, Biodiversity and Geomorphology - Yorkshire

3 hours ago, goldfinger said:

I had same problem up here in Nottinghamshire tried doing all legit but they wouldn't licence me,they gave a bag of sh-t reasons for not doing so.

1 hour ago, goldfinger said:

I wouldn't call their reasoning a 'bag of shit'. They're desk jockeys, led by wader wearing scientists, all of whom are trying to keep shit by the book.

What Is a bag of shit is that you will now probably pout, scowl and fukk off looking for another way to amuse yourself and maybe get a feed, or a few bob.

Our beloved brethren of the 'Multicultural' persuasion, of course, won't be filling out applications or asking shit from anyone.

They'll be camped out on the waterside. Laughing, catching, campfire cooking and feasting on What ever they can catch. Till it Is all gone. Then they'll go to the next spot.

Because, after all; Who's gonna dare risk confronting that ole " Race Card "?

The Real 'Bag of Shit' in the room is that you're a Brit, living in Britain. British laws only apply to you.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, gnipper said:

I think they are worried about people spreading them around. 

That’s why the DEFRA brought the new rule in about killing them at the site of capture to stop people spreading them about.

I think it’s a bit too late though, signals are in most bodies of water in the uk, reaching as far up as Scottish highlands.

On 23/07/2021 at 13:37, big sid said:

my buddie got me these when he ordered some they were five for £20 maybe shite i dont know but will give it a go.

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

I wouldn’t use if the entrance is wider then 95cm, you could catch a otter then the sh1t would hit the fan, same as trapping without a license. Four guys got caught in Derbyshire trapping without license. Big fines and vehicles and equipment seized.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, goldfinger said:

Dear applicant

Thank you for your application to trap signal crayfish. Unfortunately on this occasion we must decline your application.

Yorkshire and its surrounding counties do not allow crayfish trapping due to risks associated with the activity.

The three main reasons for this decision are....

• The risk of spreading invasive crayfish and aquatic diseases through the use of traps and other equipment.

Traps and associated equipment are excellent vectors for invasive crayfish and aquatic diseases to reach new waters. As they are usually left unattended underwater, they can be taken by uninformed or malicious parties and used between waters easily by people who are unaware of the bio-security risks.

• Impacts on our native White-clawed crayfish populations

In Yorkshire we are lucky to still have populations of White-clawed crayfish and despite intense conservation efforts the species is still under threat.

Signal crayfish can carry a disease which is fatal to our native White-clawed crayfish. This crayfish plague is spread by a fungus which can wipe out a population in a matter of weeks.

There is also the risk of misidentification of species. Although crayfish can be distinctive, it is sometimes not as easy as it seems to identify species correctly.

• Trapping crayfish is often not an effective method of control and often leads to an increase in populations

Research has shown that trapping signal crayfish targets the dominant males, this removes the top predator from within the signal crayfish population. This allows younger less dominant males to breed more prolifically, leading to a population expansion. Trapping is therefore often counterproductive.

For further information on crayfish we suggest you visit the following websites which offer much more detailed explanations on the subject.

WWW.BUGLIFE.ORG.UK

We hope this explains the reasoning behind our decision to decline your application. If you would like to discuss this matter further please contact us via the consenting email address (fmapplications@environment-agency.gov.uk)

Fisheries, Biodiversity and Geomorphology - Yorkshire

That refusal is pathetic. Its like saying that you can't have a car in case some unlicenced driver nicks it from a car park while you are shopping. And how many dominant male crayfish carry eggs? Because lots of the ones I caught on the Dearne had egg clusters. 

Thers is no wonder the rivers are in such a state with those clowns in charge.

7 hours ago, MR TEA POT said:

I wouldn’t use if the entrance is wider then 95cm, you could catch a otter then the sh1t would hit the fan, same as trapping without a license. Four guys got caught in Derbyshire trapping without license. Big fines and vehicles and equipment seized.

I've had a few mink in the smaller ones. Unintentionally of course lol

• Haha 1