powerhouse x

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spent a couple of years on a cattle station in central Queensland in me early 20s . Just went over backpacking originally, but after drinking all me cash in the first month ended up with a job on this

It's not about money it's about power

I don't think that's true, a dog that has caught plenty of pigs will have the scars to show for its efforts ,even if its just a bailer. One out a big boar can make short work of a dog in fact I lost(k

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SheepChaser said:

You’ve never hunted pigs have you ? 

Trust me when the dog didn’t accidentally run into a tree, the pig didn’t accidentally fall over on top of the dog. 

It got in front of the pig and took hold and the pig manouvered itself into a position where it could repeatedly slam the dog that was attached to it into the tree until the dog was pulp.

To me a dog that is game in a hubting sense is one that will go head first into a bigger, harder oponant that wants to kill it, without a thought to self preservation. 

Bob on ?saw something similar happen in oz , dog bashed against a tree while latched on, smashed ribs on one side,  witch pierced lungs , had to be pts there and then. Would often find by the time u caught up to them some of the dogs would be exhausted to the point of collapse from the battle they’d had. Would also notice that quite often if caught out in the open they would run till they hit a thick patch of timber before turning to fight. Don’t think it was coincidence either, they are not daft animals ? 

dont know wether the term deep game dog is appropriate an wouldn’t pretend to know enough about it. But from what I saw they need to be keen as hell and hard as nails to be of any use in that game ?

• Like 4

Might I ask how pigs you have killed or ran dogs with ? I'm just going to comment on one major mistake  I see wrong with your post ,that is dog usually gets killed before they know they are  headed for the happy hunting ground ,now its not fact that a dog gets killed with the first or second blow or even the 9th ,the time line they get killed at can be anytime ,from the start of the attack to the end ,bad luck can play a part in all this . You have given a example of the great Dane ,you would need to search for a very long time to find a Great Dane or even a Dane x because kiwi hunters don't rate them so don't run them but the Aussie hunters do & rate them highly ,I would think that has to do with better working stock ,the same can be also said about Scottish Deer hounds  .At best I view your statement pig dogs would jack at the under ground work, is at best simply a guess nothing more  ,the pig dogs I'm writing about are real hard dogs ,some hunters don't run them preferring to run bailers and shoot the pig but here's the very interesting part is these real hard dogs can have a good % of terrier in their blood lines so we are talking about the same type of dog just within a bigger package .so I do have to agree that we are in different ways both right and the common  ground we find our selves is the terriers in one form or another . One of the most common pig dog crosses found  in New Zealand is a bull /cattle /Greyhound ,these dogs look much like your Bull Greyhounds and in fact this also is a breed used in Nz to hunt pigs  .

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've been lucky enough to be taken pig hunting in 2 countries, I have chased pigs, stuck pigs and carried pigs but I don't believe I have anywhere near enough experience to have an opinion on pig dogs. I was basically a tourist. How anyone can have such an entrenched opinion based purely on what they've read on the Internet and never actually done amazes me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Tyla said:

I've been lucky enough to be taken pig hunting in 2 countries, I have chased pigs, stuck pigs and carried pigs but I don't believe I have anywhere near enough experience to have an opinion on pig dogs. I was basically a tourist. How anyone can have such an entrenched opinion based purely on what they've read on the Internet and never actually done amazes me.

I've had some fecking pigs in me time ill tell u that much 

• Haha 4
On 20/07/2021 at 13:59, downsouth said:

Exactly.How can you recreate something unless you have what was used to create them originally.Its like me saying "Im gunna cross a chicken with an ostrich and a Guinea fowl and recreate the dodo.Ive questioned him and a couple of othe Alaunt breeders and seen some of their pedigrees and they dont even know the exact breeding of some of the stuff behind their own dogs.

Alot have made up pedigrees  thats true