powerhouse x

3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

I'd say any dog that faacks off and try battlin something that's size and sees it out either way is definitely game ?

But to many others they wouldn't, why do you think many APBT catch dogs aren't off game stock?

Like I said I'm not knocking pig dogs but it doesn't a real game dog to be a pig catcher.

If that was the case you wouldn't have Great Danes being capable of the feat.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spent a couple of years on a cattle station in central Queensland in me early 20s . Just went over backpacking originally, but after drinking all me cash in the first month ended up with a job on this

It's not about money it's about power

I don't think that's true, a dog that has caught plenty of pigs will have the scars to show for its efforts ,even if its just a bailer. One out a big boar can make short work of a dog in fact I lost(k

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

But to many others they wouldn't, why do you think many APBT catch dogs aren't off game stock?

Like I said I'm not knocking pig dogs but it doesn't a real game dog to be a pig catcher.

Apbt have game dogs in em mate dont they it'll still crop up in em 

The great danes the ozzie have  will  be selective  bred for years id a thought mate there big powerful dogs mate ? 

Edited by mC HULL
8 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Apbt have game dogs in em mate dont they it'll still crop up in em 

The great danes the ozzie have  will  be selective  bred for years id a thought mate there big powerful dogs mate ? 

They can be big and powerful, it doesn't make them game.

31 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Did you actually read what I said?

Looks like you clearly didn't.

So tell me this, you don't think you could get any Dane to jack over here? ?

Yes I did. You made a few statements based on little knowledge from what I can see.

1 - pig dogs that get killed tend to get killed quick from the pig hitting a major blood vessel with a cutter. Ie it’s just bad luck. When in reality plenty of pig dogs and bashed to death, bones broken, lungs punctured etc. A dog died recently from being pile driven into a tree from being in the wrong place on the wrong pig.

2 - Danes and Dane xs catching pigs in oz are not game. Obviously it’s debatable if any dog out side of dog fighting circles can be classed as ‘game’ but if we are using the word in a hunting sense then I would argue that there are some pretty game Dane and Dane xs in oz, which will fire head first into a big big boat single handed and take a tuning without letting go, and do that multiple times in a day despite being over heated, bleeding and sore as hell. Tackling any animal that can physically pick you up and swing you about like a bag of trash when you’re the size of a Dane is pretty game.

As to your last question of course I could get most uk Danes to jack, but that wasn’t what we were talking about. 

2 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

And who's mentioning Aussie dogs, I'm not talking about those Bull Arabs, I've seen folk using pure Danes in the States, that Calli Catcher has used them.

an old women round her has them shes about 4 foot lol but you wouldnt get near her they die young though 7 ish few dropped on her??

3 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

And who's mentioning Aussie dogs, I'm not talking about those Bull Arabs, I've seen folk using pure Danes in the States, that Calli Catcher has used them.

Plenty of lads use Danes and Dane xs in oz, most of the Americans seem to hunt mob handed with dogs. There is a real good dog called horse who is mostly Dane who would Have caught 100s of good big pigs single handed and taken plenty of punishment. 

22 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Hve you actually hunted any pigs with dogs cos you speak with an authority which suggests you hve real world experience? Genuine question. 

5 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Yes I did. You made a few statements based on little knowledge from what I can see.

1 - pig dogs that get killed tend to get killed quick from the pig hitting a major blood vessel with a cutter. Ie it’s just bad luck. When in reality plenty of pig dogs and bashed to death, bones broken, lungs punctured etc. A dog died recently from being pile driven into a tree from being in the wrong place on the wrong pig.

2 - Danes and Dane xs catching pigs in oz are not game. Obviously it’s debatable if any dog out side of dog fighting circles can be classed as ‘game’ but if we are using the word in a hunting sense then I would argue that there are some pretty game Dane and Dane xs in oz, which will fire head first into a big big boat single handed and take a tuning without letting go, and do that multiple times in a day despite being over heated, bleeding and sore as hell. Tackling any animal that can physically pick you up and swing you about like a bag of trash when you’re the size of a Dane is pretty game.

As to your last question of course I could get most uk Danes to jack, but that wasn’t what we were talking about. 

Jesus mate, you're bringing up accidents as your argument. That's not exactly the same as the hog giving the dog stick like we are talking about.

It's like saying a lurcher that drops dead coursing is a dead game animal.

Neither would I call a deer dog that gets crushed to death dead game.

We are now just arguing about definitions here

8 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Hve you actually hunted any pigs with dogs cos you speak with an authority which suggests you hve real world experience? Genuine question. 

I'm from up North in the UK, have I feck mate. 

I'm going off what I've seen and read with my own eyes, fcuk me you've got lads on here who have claimed to hunt them and say they don't take much doing. ?

I don't agree with that like but I'll say it again, it doesn't take a deep game dog to be a pig catcher IMO.

Again, it's just bickering over a definition now.

21 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Sorry, I thought the topic veered onto pig dogs with Toolbox's post.

I know he's from "down under", New Zealand , that's why I mentioned Mastiff/Danes.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

Jesus mate, you're bringing up accidents as your argument. That's not exactly the same as the hog giving the dog stick like we are talking about.

It's like saying a lurcher that drops dead coursing is a dead game animal.

Neither would I call a deer dog that gets crushed to death dead game.

We are now just arguing about definitions here

You’ve never hunted pigs have you ? 

Trust me when the dog didn’t accidentally run into a tree, the pig didn’t accidentally fall over on top of the dog. 

It got in front of the pig and took hold and the pig manouvered itself into a position where it could repeatedly slam the dog that was attached to it into the tree until the dog was pulp.

To me a dog that is game in a hubting sense is one that will go head first into a bigger, harder oponant that wants to kill it, without a thought to self preservation. 

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

You’ve never hunted pigs have you ? 

Trust me when the dog didn’t accidentally run into a tree, the pig didn’t accidentally fall over on top of the dog. 

It got in front of the pig and took hold and the pig manouvered itself into a position where it could repeatedly slam the dog that was attached to it into the tree until the dog was pulp.

To me a dog that is game in a hubting sense is one that will go head first into a bigger, harder oponant that wants to kill it, without a thought to self preservation. 

I've said I've never hunter pigs, i take it you've payed for a boar hunt in Europe?

If I'm wrong what's your experience of hunting pigs with catch dogs?

It's only like a big deer butting a dog against a wall or a motor.

Like we both agreed, many of those pig dogs would jack over here given the right stick.

For me there's levels, that's why you wouldn't see pure Danes or what not  around a hole or wherever.

The conversation will just get silly so let's leave it at that mate.

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Greb147 said:

I've said I've never hunter pigs, i take it you've payed for a boar hunt in Europe?

If I'm wrong what's your experience of hunting pigs with catch dogs?

It's only like a big deer butting a dog against a wall or a motor.

Like we both agreed, many of those pig dogs would jack over here given the right stick.

For me there's levels, that's why you wouldn't see pure Danes or what not  around a hole or wherever.

The conversation will just get silly so let's leave it at that mate.

I’ve hunted pigs. Not as many as some on here and certainly not as much as toolebox. But have hunted them in three countries, all with catch dogs. Also have some very good mates who cross back and fore between nz and here a lot, hunting, and bringing dogs back and fore. 

Ive never paid for a boar hunt and I’ve never carried a gun on one. I’ve stuck them, and I’ve carried them up god awful hills. 

There is a massive difference between the Danes you see here and the ones that hve made the grade in the antipodes for pig hunting. They get jackers to. Obviously. But there are some very hard, very game Dane blooded dogs. 

I said I would Jack a uk Dane, could be Jack a pig hunting dog from over there, well here’s the thing, the ones I’ve seen and hunted with wouldn’t touch a fox, deer, or owt else, just pigs. If they were brought up different I think you’d be quite surprised. 

And yes I would compare it to a big deer, a big big deer. Plenty of big hard dogs will Jack on a proper fallow buck, let alone a red. So yes there are similarities, but out of the rut, those feet are always looking for an escape route, they rarely take the fight to the dog. But I would say a dog that locks onto a big deer despite getting trashed about and taking a hiding, and don’t let go no matter what is heading toward game. Big deer can kill dogs sometimes mostly they don’t but it does happen. 

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I’ve hunted pigs. Not as many as some on here and certainly not as much as toolebox. But have hunted them in three countries, all with catch dogs. Also have some very good mates who cross back and fore between nz and here a lot, hunting, and bringing dogs back and fore. 

Ive never paid for a boar hunt and I’ve never carried a gun on one. I’ve stuck them, and I’ve carried them up god awful hills. 

There is a massive difference between the Danes you see here and the ones that hve made the grade in the antipodes for pig hunting. They get jackers to. Obviously. But there are some very hard, very game Dane blooded dogs. 

I said I would Jack a uk Dane, could be Jack a pig hunting dog from over there, well here’s the thing, the ones I’ve seen and hunted with wouldn’t touch a fox, deer, or owt else, just pigs. If they were brought up different I think you’d be quite surprised. 

And yes I would compare it to a big deer, a big big deer. Plenty of big hard dogs will Jack on a proper fallow buck, let alone a red. So yes there are similarities, but out of the rut, those feet are always looking for an escape route, they rarely take the fight to the dog. But I would say a dog that locks onto a big deer despite getting trashed about and taking a hiding, and don’t let go no matter what is heading toward game. Big deer can kill dogs sometimes mostly they don’t but it does happen. 

Sounds like the pigs down the local. Enough to make any man jack! 

• Haha 1