powerhouse x

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spent a couple of years on a cattle station in central Queensland in me early 20s . Just went over backpacking originally, but after drinking all me cash in the first month ended up with a job on this

It's not about money it's about power

I don't think that's true, a dog that has caught plenty of pigs will have the scars to show for its efforts ,even if its just a bailer. One out a big boar can make short work of a dog in fact I lost(k

Posted Images

1 minute ago, keepdiggin said:

ive seen a video years ago of them on boar and bear not sure if japanese or american type

It would have been the Japanese type, I know they hunted bear but can't see them being out and out catch dogs.

I'm sure some individuals could do it though if brought on.

18 minutes ago, AndyD89 said:

Spent a couple of years on a cattle station in central Queensland in me early 20s . Just went over backpacking originally, but after drinking all me cash in the first month ended up with a job on this cattle property in Queensland.

idea was to just save abit of cash to go off partying again. Ended up loving it so much I stayed for nearly 2 year and met my now wife.  Along side the station work we were hunting and shooting pretty much daily,  the place was lifting with Roos and pigs an I bloody loved it. 

Anyway there was a local lad that worked on the property next door who had a pack of pig dogs who’d come pic me up 4/5 times a week to go after the pigs .  3 or 4 bull Arab types, a pure pit bull he’d  payd alot of money for (didn’t last long?) , a  rough coated pointer/pit (my favourite) and a straight border collie witch i wrongly  assumed at first was just along for the ride out.

was absolutely fantastic watching theses dogs work. They’d all be on the back of the truck as we trundled round the property. Then suddenly the collie would catch a scent an be off the side an off into the bush like a shot, on few occasions up to 2k . The others would all stay on the back waiting to hear the collie make contact.  Soon as they heard the  barking an squealing they’d pile off the back an go crashing off into the bush to back there pal up.  Was brilliant to watch , the collie be the brains of the operation and the others the muscle ? 

from what I saw them pigs are no easy ride , an a life of a pig dog over there a hard one.  from the original pack the lad had when I first met him, only the collie and the pointer/pit remained when I left nearly 2 years later, all the rest were killed in action and replaced during my time there. Puncture wounds , crush injuries from being bashed against solid objects trees etc. Overheating , an one just lost never to be found.  

That collie was such an impressive animal, full time cattle dog by day , pig hunter by night,  an never once wrong. Sticks out in my mind as probably the best working dog iv ever seen . 

Wish we had the space and the pigs over here was excellent sport in a stunning country with top blokes, deffo an experience il never forget ???

Good mate of mine spent 12 months out there. He had some fun on the Roos and pigs 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Good mate of mine spent 12 months out there. He had some fun on the Roos and pigs 

Aye definitely a place well worth going if the opportunity’s there , had I not of had abit of a f%*k up with my visa don’t think I’d of ever come home, loved the bush life ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

My lads talking about Fcuking off to oz or nz working with cattle soon as he leaves school. Bit if a working holiday, I doubt he come back if he gets in with anybody hunting out there ?

Not sur about how old you've got to be to do that but, best of luck to him, lot more opportunities for him over there ?

Cheers, D.

Ok I'm not about to get in to argument with you hull I like what you keep and they look very good and are very capable but different quarry different ground from slop offers different challenges as I'm sure you will agree 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

My lads talking about Fcuking off to oz or nz working with cattle soon as he leaves school. Bit if a working holiday, I doubt he come back if he gets in with anybody hunting out there ?

Encourage him, it'll be the best thing he ever did. I went to Africa at that age and stayed a while but I think if I'd picked a different destination I would've never come back

• Like 1
10 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

This was back in early 90s they come back from oz, I never got to see the dogs or even pups off them but there is a few about with them in there lines still, can’t really tell tho as most farm collies here are built like a brick shit house. I believe them tho as they well known an 3 of them went over an 2 come back an still work with cows ?

The neighbors dogs were way before American pits were in this country. I think they were pointer cross English bulldog. I was only a kid but remember they were short, wide spotted dogs. The bloke came from way out west and the dogs were his old pig dogs, they lived until 18 or 19 back in the early 70's.

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

I deffo will be encouraging him pal, he can already use all the machinery likely to be found on most farms, knows his way around a cow an dairy an stuff, he actually better than more then half the adults that come work with us, has a little pal the same, so I can see them fcukkng off somewhere, even the wife coming round to his way a thinking as she knows this country is past its best before date ?

Get him out to NZ. Cows, woman and hunting ?