Advice on getting either, Bedlington Whippet, or Bed Lurcher.

I want get dog as my companion. I live in small rural village in SW Scotland, and my hobby is fly fishing for salmon, and generally getting out each day.

Im looking not to big, and easy management. I was brought up with my fathers gun dogs, but personally this will be my first dog. So something on the easy side.

My prefrence, is the long wire haired, silver grey Bedlington Whippet, or the lurcher. I prefer the Bed Whippet simply as I believe it's slightly smaller.

Can anyone advise me, if Im making correct decision, in choosing the Whippet cross ?

And any advice on good dealer where Im likely find a long wire haired, silver grey Bed Whip ? 

And what sort money should I be paying ?

Thanks.

There are plenty of non hunting breeds that would be happy to sit with you while you fished. If you get anything with terrier in it the dog is going to piss off hunting by itself and get you into strife. You would be better off with an Oz cattle dog, Rottweiler or some mastiff type that like to stick close to you imo.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, scotsmac1 said:

I want get dog as my companion. I live in small rural village in SW Scotland, and my hobby is fly fishing for salmon, and generally getting out each day.

Im looking not to big, and easy management. I was brought up with my fathers gun dogs, but personally this will be my first dog. So something on the easy side.

My prefrence, is the long wire haired, silver grey Bedlington Whippet, or the lurcher. I prefer the Bed Whippet simply as I believe it's slightly smaller.

Can anyone advise me, if Im making correct decision, in choosing the Whippet cross ?

And any advice on good dealer where Im likely find a long wire haired, silver grey Bed Whip ? 

And what sort money should I be paying ?

Thanks.

I’d get a cross bred.

whippet based , 19 inch ish .

good for a mooch and pot filling ? As  for price 

at the moment who knows but there are still lads 

breeding for themselves who will gift to a good home.

ATB Tony

• Like 1

Beddy/whippets tend to be the smallest of the different Lurcher types, plus they all look pretty similar so you have a good idea of what your getting. If there’s lots of deer and hares about, a smaller dog can be less hassle too, which can be a bonus. 

4 minutes ago, BIG TRG said:

She’s a nice strong bitch and looks nicer in the flesh, if he had put a very big pure greyhound over her I’d of had one. 

Haha you no the bold China plate then ? Was me that brought them

four pups up from Wales and aye she’s a cracking bitch jaw like a gin trap