Injuries/collisions.... does and donts

17 hours ago, socks said:

Get your pup out and about on all and every ground and obstacle you can … better it learns how to avoid things when it’s running at 3 mph rather than 30mph …….

true Ken, it really does help getting them out when very young, i had my big dog out at 9 weeks old, thats in the day and night, they just  go along at there own pace, and watch the older dogs, old bryn taught Buck loads of things with ditches  etc, even jumping, bryn jump over , and keep coming back for Buck get over, bryn done this lot of times.  Bryn was more steady as pup, Buck was more full on, if i hadn't  done all this with Buck as pup, i think he could have got hurt real bad when young, it deff helped him deal with every thing out there, but old machinery in hedgerows that coverd up with brambles  is a KILLER , you dont know it there if your lamping, yep lamping dangerous sport, i lost 3 lurchers through it?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, fred90 said:

it's hard not to get attached to them. I swear you get more attached the older you get. unless I am getting a soft old cxxt?

Yep, haven't learnt how not to get attached, f**k me it would be a lot easier not doing   

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong i have some sort of attachment to all dogs but it's an attachment you need to understand can be gone in a flash. Seen a couple dogs hit park benches lamping foxes that was covered with bramble too. Just something that can happen that we obviously try to avoid but accidents happen. And 9 times out of ten will happen to probably the best in the yard 

First thing I want to achieve with a pup is a bond, man and dog benefit from having a bond in my opinion, the dog needs to know I’m the Alpha and it needs to work for me not itself, if the dog gives it all for you it’s impossible not to have an attachment, this sport of ours is a dangerous game, accidents, injuries and occasionally fatalities occur, thankfully not too often, every time a running dog runs it’s life can be in peril, that’s the nature of the game and we wouldn’t have it any other way and after all a life half lived is no life at all.

• Like 4

Mine run into stuff in the day , it’s unavoidable sometimes , had a good couple accidents in last 20 months literally a week after my daughter was born I had to get my misses to ring vets cause my bitch gutted herself on a barb wire and since then it’s be vet trip after vet trip it’s been 4/5 grand lucky had a good bit back cause there insured 

0A2EA7D8-8BB5-4E54-A2CC-5F145FBBD2F8.jpeg

52272B13-8C49-42DA-BAB7-200CAFD48C07.jpeg

B3E4BD8B-C23E-40E2-815E-3543A0D33660.jpeg

5D6F9C28-2BBB-409F-849D-56B96D5A4C55.jpeg

C4EC53D1-65BC-42EB-B4BF-9A7720D410A6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
53 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

Mine run into stuff in the day , it’s unavoidable sometimes , had a good couple accidents in last 20 months literally a week after my daughter was born I had to get my misses to ring vets cause my bitch gutted herself on a barb wire and since then it’s be vet trip after vet trip it’s been 4/5 grand lucky had a good bit back cause there insured 

0A2EA7D8-8BB5-4E54-A2CC-5F145FBBD2F8.jpeg

52272B13-8C49-42DA-BAB7-200CAFD48C07.jpeg

B3E4BD8B-C23E-40E2-815E-3543A0D33660.jpeg

5D6F9C28-2BBB-409F-849D-56B96D5A4C55.jpeg

C4EC53D1-65BC-42EB-B4BF-9A7720D410A6.jpeg

Looks a nasty one that bud, any broken bones ?? Or just flesh wounds from the barb ?? Hope there no lasting damage mate ??

I was always told working dogs is a dangerous game expected death at some point if ya can’t handle them getting hurt or killed don’t do it. I’ve experienced a whippet brake it’s neck running a rabbit the dog hit a tree at full tilt also one of our old team of beddy greyhound foxers back in the day was running a Fox it dropped to ground as the dog struck that dog broke its neck we was out on the roe back in the day one of the collie greyhound deerhound greyhound had a head on with a roe buck the dog self slipped its self one dog was already running  the roe I watched the dog get knocked clean out i still remember the impact sound I just looked at it’s owner an said ya dogs dead mate deer was dead dog took half hour or so to get back on it’s feet dog was a promising dog but it f****d the dog it wasn’t the same I’ve had dogs of my own hit stuff get smashed up nock out toes one nocked a nail out at the bed ive had dogs empale there selfs on sharp branches that had been stabbed out in the field. 

• Like 3

As Phil says, once off the lead we are spectators. Dogs with high drive are more at risk than others, but then recklessness is a good trait and proves honesty,and the more honest and driven, the happier the dog is in expressing himself. If he runs into a telegraph pole thats just bad luck all round. To quote Delboy "He who dares wins"

As already said by Socks I think, puppies need to have free running from 10 weeks old and learn to use themselves. That makes all the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 19/07/2021 at 06:40, AndyD89 said:

Would u  lads say jumping gates /fences is essential for a working lurcher ???

Yes it's a pain if they don't. Saying that I had a dog that wouldn't jump any fence but he was handy when working near busy roads, places I wouldn't run the other dogs. I think most need to get hurt to learn not to, you just hope the injuries aren't too bad or fatal. I run fast, light weight dogs so only hunt daytime, if I was into lamping I'd have a sturdier type.

• Like 2