The importance of saying “this is a stupid idea”

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve always held the train of thought that if you are truly friends with a person , you can call them out for being a prat. Personally I’d never side against a mate whatever , especially in public but

My story with swimming/water is so embarrassing i only tell folk i dont really know that well ? Growing up i dont ever remember really even seeing the sea until late teens but once i did i was me

I'll have you know we had some very well known chaps come out of our school.......fair enough most of them are in prison now but thats not the point ?

Posted Images

Schools with swimming pools ?.....posh fuckers,our school barely had enough desks to go around.

My ol woman always cracks me up talking about her canoeing lessons in the school lake behind the school football pitches next to the school swimming pool....how the other half live !

• Haha 6

Greenwhich baths on the ILEA bus with a lifeguard that had a fag permanently hanging from her lip !……I think it was the only bath some kids got every week ! 

We had a school pool in senior school. Our school was built in 1965 and trying to be all modern they built a decent pool for the school just over the road. Though Anfield Comprehensive, a 1500 pupil all, boys school in inner city Liverpool in the 70's, was hardly what you'd call posh, the FB page dedicated to it is called 'I Survived Anny Comp' ?

As a swimmer, we had training every morning and lunch times and i'd do that as well as my club training Monday & Thursday evenings and Sunday afternoons. Just on top of that was training for the City of Liverpool on Saturday mornings and also Wednesday evenings but i didn't go to many of them. Wednesdays were too much... ? Though my fave swimming was going with my mates to Noggsy baths on a Sunday morning, just for fun.

My daughter also swims for a club and the City team BUT although there is a new, 5 year old, pool right over the road, her school simply is not interested in swimming as part of their PE programme and they don't use it...

Her junior school were also uninterested in swimming BUT as said before, they did one term per year. Ironically, my daughter and 6 others in her year all swam for clubs. When the school entered the North Liverpool Junior School Gala for the first time, in March 2020, the school smashed it, taking every major trophy and the Championship as a whole. The look on the face of the normally uninterested Head Mistress, as she skipped out the building cradleing 4 huge trophys, was a sight to behold. And i'm betting swimming got a huge boost in funding at that school from then on...

Swimming is so important and taught right, kids love it...

It's health, it's safety, it's fun.

It makes every holiday better, it makes any deep water safer, for the rest of their lives.... ?

Leyton Baths near us actually doubled up as a boxing venue believe it or not....the ol fella boxed their loads of times the best seats in the house was the 10 metre diving board what a terrible place that was ?....regards school ours was literally like a prison block every door to the outside was locked to stop you running away we had a north and south playground with barbed wire round the walls...only through force of habit we turned up in the mornings !

Edited to add....cant like the above post by Bosun for some reason but wanted to acknowledge it in some way....smashing post that squire.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Schools with swimming pools ?.....posh fuckers,our school barely had enough desks to go around.

My ol woman always cracks me up talking about her canoeing lessons in the school lake behind the school football pitches next to the school swimming pool....how the other half live !

Suppose your school didn't wanna bother wasting funds on a load of sruffy old thicko's ??

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Suppose your school didn't wanna bother wasting funds on a load of sruffy old thicko's ??

I'll have you know we had some very well known chaps come out of our school.......fair enough most of them are in prison now but thats not the point ?

• Haha 8
  • 1 year later...

Went swimming last night with the kids in a local pool , hardly anyone in , was lovely to be in the water trolling around with the kids , looking for SpongeBob , see how long you can hold your breath for , down the chutes , nonsense and chilled . 

came home to read the tragic posts on the Facebook accounts in our home town that a 15 year old lad had went into the river and was missing . 

we’ve followed the story all day and read the devastating news that he’d sadly been found passed. 

there’s no blame with things like that , how can they be ? But I started this thread with the tale of how over the years , this river claims young lives , it’s clockwork in its regularity , it’s such a dangerous stretch as it floods ( as seen in the floods that occur in Carlisle ) with it being the main tributary for the upper Cumbria fells to the sea . There’s countless arterial rivers coming off the Eden and that rain swells its flow . 

Only two weeks ago I was up there with the boy , throwing sticks for the dog and you could see kids laying on the sand stone slabs and stoned areas . The water was like ice still. 

absolutely heart breaking news being delivered to a family on a day like this . 

please , for god sakes , stress the importance of not going into rivers to your teens .  It’s just genuinely not worth it 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Went swimming last night with the kids in a local pool , hardly anyone in , was lovely to be in the water trolling around with the kids , looking for SpongeBob , see how long you can hold your breath for , down the chutes , nonsense and chilled . 

came home to read the tragic posts on the Facebook accounts in our home town that a 15 year old lad had went into the river and was missing . 

we’ve followed the story all day and read the devastating news that he’d sadly been found passed. 

there’s no blame with things like that , how can they be ? But I started this thread with the tale of how over the years , this river claims young lives , it’s clockwork in its regularity , it’s such a dangerous stretch as it floods ( as seen in the floods that occur in Carlisle ) with it being the main tributary for the upper Cumbria fells to the sea . There’s countless arterial rivers coming off the Eden and that rain swells its flow . 

Only two weeks ago I was up there with the boy , throwing sticks for the dog and you could see kids laying on the sand stone slabs and stoned areas . The water was like ice still. 

absolutely heart breaking news being delivered to a family on a day like this . 

please , for god sakes , stress the importance of not going into rivers to your teens .  It’s just genuinely not worth it 

Terrible news for the family stiff rip