The importance of saying “this is a stupid idea”

20 hours ago, WILF said:

Lads from round your way and the opposite side of the river used to just get aimed in the docks I thought and it was swim or die ! Lol ? 

Learn to swim, dose of scarlet fever and bobs your uncle. 

Maybe that was just all the old boys pulling my plonker ?

Times certainly change back then it was somewhere you dumped stuff you never wanted any comeback on....these days you cant get near Vicky or Albert docks without a security pass and full body screening ?

• Haha 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve always held the train of thought that if you are truly friends with a person , you can call them out for being a prat. Personally I’d never side against a mate whatever , especially in public but

My story with swimming/water is so embarrassing i only tell folk i dont really know that well ? Growing up i dont ever remember really even seeing the sea until late teens but once i did i was me

I'll have you know we had some very well known chaps come out of our school.......fair enough most of them are in prison now but thats not the point ?

Posted Images

Funny this thread has been brought up, my ex messaged me on Friday to have a word with my 14 year old daughter who's been swimming in a lake near her house. 

4 people have died there over the years including a young tear away who lived on the street I grew up on.

She told me she'd only been paddling but you know what teens are like for stretching the truth.

Watched fisho mania at the weekend , at the end the winners jumps into the lake fully clothed 

which to me is sending out the wrong message maybe its time forthe organisers to stop the practice 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, steve66 said:

Watched fisho mania at the weekend , at the end the winners jumps into the lake fully clothed 

which to me is sending out the wrong message maybe its time forthe organisers to stop the practice 

ban it lol is there anything you wouldnt ban 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, sid g said:

dont they teach swimming in schools anymore we used to go once a week from school  to the baths at raf newton and raf instructors taught us , used to be a free bus to the local baths on a saturday morning off the estate it was funded by the miners welfare club .. 

They still teach swimming in primary school BUT how often is both determined by budget and if the staff see it as worth while. At least it can be just for one term per year (5/6 weeks), which, though better than nothing, won't really turn none swimmers into compitent swimmers, especially for open water. Same with senior school, at my daughters school, swimming isn't on any sports curriculum, so if the kids were struggling in primary, they've got no chance there...

It's a travesty for what is a life skill...

1 hour ago, sid g said:

dont they teach swimming in schools anymore we used to go once a week from school  to the baths at raf newton and raf instructors taught us , used to be a free bus to the local baths on a saturday morning off the estate it was funded by the miners welfare club .. 

never realised they had baths there.....its nearly all gone now they have built a new housing estate where the entrance was and nearly all the hangers have gone.....the control tower thing was bought privately and is now a house....its kept its features ..i think it might have had preservation order thing on it....cos its art deco type thing....

take the kids up there regular  its only a few fields away from me...kids love to look in the old pill boxes....but sadly most of them are falling down now

• Like 1

When my boy was a real young one he used to jump into the pool into my arms , water over his head . He would love it. Couldnt swim but was young enough that it wasn't expected.  Mother in law took him swimming and was busy chatting and ignoring the kids as she does and he fell in pool with nobody around him and was all over the place. Luckily someone close by scooped him out .  That must be 6 years ago now and literally weve just got him out of goggles and nose clip last month . For years after if water went up as far as his chest he would grab you and cling on for dear life . Tried coaxing him into deep end im my arms and he would go ballistic.  Pre covid we spent hundreds and hundreds on swimming lessons to get him to this point where as if my mother in law less of a twat im sure wed have him swimming properly years ago . Hes 11 now and i want him to go for swims down the river with his mates soon in the summer etc but until hes properly competent and confident i wont have it 

2 hours ago, sid g said:

i thought my grandson  on holiday when he was 4  in a week he went from a ring to arm bands to swimming  my son n his mrs have never kept it up in 2 years since they`ve took him once all ways to busy .. 

Classic situation Sid, some kids fly on one to one lessons if they enjoy the teaching (and respect the teacher ?) others do well in a class enviroment. Though it really don't matter how you start any kid, the most important part is keeping it up.