The importance of saying “this is a stupid idea”

good post and very important. my kids were taken to the swimming baths from when they were babies. all are good swimmers and very confident in water. still need a bit of common sense though to go with it.  ?

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve always held the train of thought that if you are truly friends with a person , you can call them out for being a prat. Personally I’d never side against a mate whatever , especially in public but

My story with swimming/water is so embarrassing i only tell folk i dont really know that well ? Growing up i dont ever remember really even seeing the sea until late teens but once i did i was me

I'll have you know we had some very well known chaps come out of our school.......fair enough most of them are in prison now but thats not the point ?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SheepChaser said:

You touched on another important thing there as well mate - every one, and I mean EVERYONE should learn first aid and cpr. 

WWW.FIRSTAIDFORFREE.COM

Welcome to our free online CPR course! Anyone can take this course to learn how to perform CPR on an adult, child or infant. If you want to learn...

Well Said 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:
WWW.FIRSTAIDFORFREE.COM

Welcome to our free online CPR course! Anyone can take this course to learn how to perform CPR on an adult, child or infant. If you want to learn...

Well Said 

Cannot imagine much worse than being in a situation where your mate or anyone is on the deck and needs help and you don’t know what to do so sit and watch them go. 

1 hour ago, SheepChaser said:

Cannot imagine much worse than being in a situation where your mate or anyone is on the deck and needs help and you don’t know what to do so sit and watch them go. 

They teach it to kids at school now pal 

• Like 1

For anyone who would like to learn more about Lifesaving skills, the R.L.S.S - ROYAL LIFESAVING SOCIETY teaches everyone, children and adults, the skills to save both yours and someone elses life in both open water and indoor pools.

The RLSS are the governing body that qualifies UK and international lifeguards with the N.P.L.Q. - National Pool Lifeguard Qualification. They are the best in the world and are used as a yardstick for almost every other country.

Many pools have a Lifesaving club who use the facility, which you can find by a simple call to your local pool. Or you can contact the RLSS direct to find your nearest club or course.

In most cases, clubs will take children that can swim over 100m (4 lenghts of a 25m pool) the basic qualifications are fantastic for self preservation and it goes up from there.

Lifeguard clubs are voluntary and are much, much cheaper than a course of lessons at your local pool and if your child is a confident swimmer and you want to keep both their swimming and learning up, then Lifesaving classes are fantastic. ?

11 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

They teach it to kids at school now pal 

That is very true, I used to teach it ? with old resus Annie the doll ? but not all kids pay attention and I think folk should keep it in their mind a bit. I’ve been around a few situations where it saved someone’s life. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

For anyone who would like to learn more about Lifesaving skills, the R.L.S.S. - Royal Life Saving Society teaches everyone, children and adults, the skills to save both yours and someone elses life in both open water and indoor pools.

The RLSS are the governing body that qualifies UK and international lifeguards with the N.P.L.Q. - National Pool Lifeguard Qualification. They are the best in the world and are used as a yardstick for almost every other country.

Many pools have a Lifesaving club who use the facility, which you can find by a simple call to your local pool. Or you can contact the RLSS direct to find your nearest club or course.

In most cases, clubs will take children that can swim over 100m (4 lenghts of a 25m pool) the basic qualifications are fantastic for self preservation and it goes up from there.

Lifeguard clubs are voluntary and are much, much cheaper than a course of lessons at your local pool and if your child is a confident swimmer and you want to keep both their swimming and learning up, then Lifesaving classes are fantastic. ?

Also becoming a qualified lifeguard is a great way for young folk to earn good cash. I worked as one when I was younger and it paid very well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My daughter's 2 now and my mrs has been taking her to baby/toddler lessons since she was about 6 months (with a break for lockdowns), so I'll be making sure she keeps that up.

I did that NPLQ course when I was younger but didn't end up using it for any work.

I can tread water for a bit and drag myself round a few lengths but make it look like a bit of an effort ?

• Like 2

All my kids bar the youngest can swim and even the little one is nearly there.

He loves swimming, it’s one of the few things he can do without any other complications……says he likes the way the water muffles the sound in his ears, he is at peace.

I also absolutely love the water but I cant swim a stroke on the surface.

Under water, I’m fine, it’s the staying afloat business I have never mastered.

I don’t know if it’s a physiological thing but I don’t float……I know people say everyone floats…..but I don’t.

My legs sink like a brick and the rest of me quickly follows……don’t anyone tell me I can because I have been trying it for 35 years absolutely without fear and I can’t ! 

Such a shame because I’m at home in the pool, love it.

But as many of you lads have said here, it’s an essential life skill and something we made a point of with the kids ! 

Edited by WILF
  • Like 4

^^^ Yep. I can 'Swim'. I know how to do so, till my muscles wear out. Then? Wall brick!

I seem to recall it's all about laying flat, on the waters surface? Sucking air through your mouth, somehow? Watched it on films.

Naah. Three way date with Wilf and Davy Jones! Fukk That! I just stay away from that wet shit! :D

12 hours ago, Blackmag said:

Some of the tides and currents depending were you are  are taking you further out regardless how strong a swimmer you are just walk in a small channel when the tides going out only needs to be a foot deep  you will feel just how strong it is against your legs I would think cold water  plays a big part this time of year and how your body reacts it 

My wife’s nephew , 21 fit as a flea , superb swimmer , had been out with the university cave diving club and when they came up they had a swim in the loch to clean off  , he swam right across , halfway back he disappeared .Cold water shock was reckoned to be the cause .

Sadly youngster drowning is a major worry over here , we have had one already this month , people coming on holiday don’t realise the danger of swimming pools , it’s not a problem when the whole family are out by the pool it’s the one second it takes for a toddler to wander outside in a lapse of concentration , answering the door , using the loo just everyday things that at home that aren’t a problem if the door was left open ..here the pool is a magnet ..I remind every one that has small kids that stay at the villa to watch them all the time .

• Like 4