The importance of saying “this is a stupid idea”

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve always held the train of thought that if you are truly friends with a person , you can call them out for being a prat. Personally I’d never side against a mate whatever , especially in public but

My story with swimming/water is so embarrassing i only tell folk i dont really know that well ? Growing up i dont ever remember really even seeing the sea until late teens but once i did i was me

I'll have you know we had some very well known chaps come out of our school.......fair enough most of them are in prison now but thats not the point ?

Posted Images

Took my son away last week and the amount of very young kids in the sea unsupervised was mind blowing.as we was having a pint I could here mothers wondering were there kids were..they never even got up..just sat there drinking.

• Sad 1

If your child was in the water , could you do everything you can to save them? 

I'm close to 60,can't swim,very uncomfortable in water over 3 ft deep....took 2 classes to learn,resolved to the fact I'm never going to learn now....to answer the question above....I'd fail miserably..sad but every summer there's loss of life through drowning...

Edited by jigsaw

Some of the tides and currents depending were you are  are taking you further out regardless how strong a swimmer you are just walk in a small channel when the tides going out only needs to be a foot deep  you will feel just how strong it is against your legs I would think cold water  plays a big part this time of year and how your body reacts it 

• Like 2

As a reservoir keeper I see this kind of thing quite often. A young lad drowned in one if our reservoirs a few years ago and his mates continued to dive in from a tower while the police were still looking for him! Totally senseless and what a waste of a young life. I’m half expecting to have a call out over weekend telling me something similar has happened. A river, reservoir, canal or the sea, it doesn’t matter, keep out if you’re not capable

• Sad 1

Heartfelt post.

I tried swimming lessons again a few years ago and I felt like technically my stroke really improved. But it didn’t translate into a yard more in distance. I’d love to swim weekly but I suppose I’m just not cut out for it.

Now I suppose this is stupid but I look forward to summer days finding quiet bays and coves for a solitary snorkel and spearfish at. Maybe one day I’ll drown and in those last moments be thinking how f***ing dumb I am or maybe fate is on my side and my judgement will be enough.

I often wonder if it’s a skill I needed to perfect as a child?

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, cragman said:

As a reservoir keeper I see this kind of thing quite often. A young lad drowned in one if our reservoirs a few years ago and his mates continued to dive in from a tower while the police were still looking for him! Totally senseless and what a waste of a young life. I’m half expecting to have a call out over weekend telling me something similar has happened. A river, reservoir, canal or the sea, it doesn’t matter, keep out if you’re not capable

That’s absolutely disgraceful mate 

Thats a sad but great and important post mate ?

Swimming first and formost should be taught as a life skill....

It is essential that ALL children are taught and taught well. To me, i see it as every parents duty to put their children through quality swimming lessons, that should last throughout their school years.

I've been Lifeguard trained for 40 years, worked for the Inshore Rescue on the Mersey and sadly have witnessed some real tradgedys from poor and none swimmers.

This weather always gets people in the water, and then we have the inevitable deaths that follow. Some poor guy was fished out of Thriepmuir reservoir near Edinburgh today.

You can (and should) teach your kids to swim, but they’ll still make stupid decisions. Your only hope is they get to live and learn from them.
In my early twenties, after a night spent in the boozer, a pissed up group of us decided to jump off the bridge in Grantully on the river Tay. It’s not particularly high, but the river runs very quick there (the rapids above are used by the Scottish canoe slalom team for training). One of the group knew the river and told me to swim to the bank as soon as I got in, to avoid the next rapid below. Off I went, but I’d gone too far over and even though I swam for the bank, missed it and went over the next fall. It was pitch dark, and I’d lost any sense of direction. I managed to swim to where I could stand and get out, but there was a minute or two before where I thought, I’ve totally fcuked up here. I’d like to think I wouldn’t do it again, but what shocks me most now is that after I walked back to the bridge I egged on mates to jump off, and proceeded to ridicule the ones who ‘bottled it’. I put it down to the folly of youth and the drink, and count myself lucky that I didn’t drown, or have a mate drown that night.

73F60848-8BF1-4C39-86DB-8BEFCAE04E12.jpeg

• Like 1