Bullet availability problems

I thought I’d better order some bullets . I use 70 grain Sierra Blitzkings in .243 and Hornady Vmax 50 grain . I looked at Spud 1967 …. Out of stock , I tried HPS TR ( my local shop) out of stock . Henry Krank , out of stock . I found the Vmax at Bushwear , but can’t get any Sierra Blitzkings . I had a chat to the guy from Henry Krank and everyone is waiting for a delivery from the US . It might be soon or it could be ages , he didn’t know . 
          So I thought I’m going to try some light varmint bullets in my .243 and see how I get on . I’ve ordered some Barnes 58grain verminators . My tikka has a 1 in 10 twist . Might not be enough to stabilise them . This is just for day time vermin . I will be very happy if I can get an flat shooting bullet that groups tight and kills well. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You were lucky. I only got nettles.

F@ck the EU . I’d rather wait till next year and get bullets from our “ friends “ in America.

Well done Si . As I went around tonight they had the comine out cutting barley. I will have a look tomorrow night. There is however a 20 acre field of barley waiting to be cut, that belongs to the est

Posted Images

Just done a batch of 70grn v-max for a mate, he was using off the shelf Sako stuff and getting runners, they all dropped but he was spending most of the night looking for them?

he lost 3 one night and the next day the lad who’s land it was called to say he’d found them all. 

I stocked up on all my stuff when I started hearing about shortages

• Like 1
2 hours ago, si brown said:

Just done a batch of 70grn v-max for a mate, he was using off the shelf Sako stuff and getting runners, they all dropped but he was spending most of the night looking for them?

I use sako 70gn ballistic for fox in the .243 and have only had one runner that was down to bad shot placement, I haven’t used any else that put a hole in them like the sako ?

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

I use sako 70gn ballistic for fox in the .243 and have only had one runner that was down to bad shot placement, I haven’t used any else that put a hole in them like the sako ?

Think the Sako were passing straight through, got one off him for measurements, lead tip same as the ones I use in 6.5 but they pass through fox’s and deer.. these ballistic tip should be fine, just need him to test them for grouping first. 

1 hour ago, si brown said:

Think the Sako were passing straight through, got one off him for measurements, lead tip same as the ones I use in 6.5 but they pass through fox’s and deer.. these ballistic tip should be fine, just need him to test them for grouping first. 

I use the sako  90gn soft point for deer and if I shoot a fox with them it’s straight through but them 70gn ballistic tips wreck them

• Thanks 1

My .223 Vmax arrived from Bushwear via UPS yesterday. Pretty good service I’d say . The 50grn Vmax that I was able to get are moly coated . I’ve never used moly coated bullets before. I have googled a bit about it and from what I’ve read they help keep accuracy for longer without cleaning. Other opinions are that it decreases barrel life , others argue it extends barrel life . I’m going to reload a few , but not go straight in at the load I use now , just to be safe . Anyone got any thoughts on moly coated bullets ?

Never used any moly coated but I’ve seen there’s powders out that recon they reduce fouling… I’ve got to point now I don’t bother cleaning barrels anymore unless the groups turn to sh1t. 
One thing I have learnt over last couple of years is no one agrees with anything when it comes to home loading.. all I do is go to the official powder and bullet producers sites and juggle stuff till it works. 

2 hours ago, si brown said:

Never used any moly coated but I’ve seen there’s powders out that recon they reduce fouling… I’ve got to point now I don’t bother cleaning barrels anymore unless the groups turn to sh1t. 
One thing I have learnt over last couple of years is no one agrees with anything when it comes to home loading.. all I do is go to the official powder and bullet producers sites and juggle stuff till it works. 

Opinions are like arse holes … everyone’s got one . I , unlike you , try and keep my barrels clean . I boresnake after every outing when I take a shot and give the barrel a proper clean every 20-30 rounds . So moly coating is a waste for me . They look good though. I think I might christen them “ the Black Death “.?

5E1CEBE6-DE31-4139-98FA-967900508601.jpeg

• Haha 1

I’ve got the Varminators from Spud 1967 . They took one day longer delivery than Bushwear , not a big deal though . I’ve only had hollow points once before and they were factory loaded Hornady in .223 . I’ve always used soft point or Ballistic tips . I’ve honestly really loved the 70 grn Sierra Blitzkings but I can’t get them . Who knows this might be the beginning of of me using hollow points ? 5F8C13C2-DA72-4DB0-A8B5-DA07B1D28AF9.jpeg.4e5aafb117f7c8b3e95ec5e938c7d438.jpeg815D3593-3A9D-40EE-A07B-6897AF4B63C2.jpeg.a6f9dee19f05f9aa838f61e75d730bc1.jpeg

• Like 1

Just got back in from a couple of hours with me mate and he showed me couple of groups he did with  75’s I knocked up.. he forgot his bipod, the first group was pap at 100 then the second was better at 135 bout an inch group, did them to the vit speck so I’ll knock up a few to the Hornady and see if it improves!

managed a not so photo friendly with the 204 on a fresh grass cut though:)

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, si brown said:

Just got back in from a couple of hours with me mate and he showed me couple of groups he did with  75’s I knocked up.. he forgot his bipod, the first group was pap at 100 then the second was better at 135 bout an inch group, did them to the vit speck so I’ll knock up a few to the Hornady and see if it improves!

managed a not so photo friendly with the 204 on a fresh grass cut though:)

Well done Si . As I went around tonight they had the comine out cutting barley. I will have a look tomorrow night. There is however a 20 acre field of barley waiting to be cut, that belongs to the estate but isn’t really close to the shoot . It’s like the Serengeti up there , I am expecting one or two foxes from there . Can’t wait ? 

• Like 3

The Americans are expecting civil war so everyone bought every available gun and round. This is a typical US gunshop not an exception atm. US's largest gunshop.

Only 10 types of ammo advertised (rest presumably already removed from the website as you'd expect them to have hundreds of types and thousands of boxes ordinarily), and of those 8 are out of stock, 1 is all but unused these days, leaving 1 choice for those (in the US) with a handgun and 0 choices for rifles or shotguns:

WWW.HYATTGUNSTORE.COM

Get your handgun, shotgun, and rifle ammunition at Hyatt Gun Store. Hyatt Guns is located in Charlotte, NC.

The World's Largest Gunstore, Adventure Outdoors, has suspended all online sales "due to conditions".

Unfortunately as most ammo is manufactured in the US, I doubt we're going to be seeing any soon. I suggest buying a slingshot. Atm it's more reliable.

• Like 1