Italian Greyhounds (and crosses)

I cannot work out why anyone in to actually working dogs would want add Italian greyhound in to the mix of a dog expected to work. I personally can’t see it adding nothing to a mix only taking away what’s already there sorry 

• Like 3

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are a Toy breed. Useless for any hunting. Biggest health problem with them is breaking their legs jumping off the sofa. If you want a "mini greyhound" get a Whippet ? Cheers.

An Australian Borzoi, Im sure the owner won't mind me posting the pic, in fact, I think he may be a member on here; A UK Borzoi I judged at a show some years ago; Cheers.

Believe it or not, I will be more than likely jumped on , but this Italian stops plenty rabbits, it had plenty  of drive ,it’s crazy when it gets a scent but the same as last time this topic arose ,th

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, poxon said:

I cannot work out why anyone in to actually working dogs would want add Italian greyhound in to the mix of a dog expected to work. I personally can’t see it adding nothing to a mix only taking away what’s already there sorry 

Imagine how small an Italian whippet must be ?

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Black neck said:

?

That's a lifesize picture of one, blacky.  I have heard the odd one is able, with some assistance, to take the odd gnat.  ?

I know the ear carriage is a tad 'suspect' but apparentl it's due to some far off saluki influence.  ?

Edited by shaaark
21 minutes ago, Black neck said:

My last f1 beddy whippet was a tiny 17tts couldn’t imagine Italian greyhound x beddy it’d be that small after a good run you could pick it up an put it in ya pocket ?

2 minutes ago, poxon said:

My last f1 beddy whippet was a tiny 17tts couldn’t imagine Italian greyhound x beddy it’d be that small after a good run you could pick it up an put it in ya pocket ?

This was my thinking.  Average italian greyhound about 15" tts, average beddy 15" tts.

7 minutes ago, shaaark said:

This was my thinking.  Average italian greyhound about 15" tts, average beddy 15" tts.

I couldn’t imagine how hard it’d be to lamp with one my old 17tts beddy whippet you literally drop her on top of runs on the beam if we were lamping even then she’d have to run twice as hard to cover the same ground as a average size dog because of her size. 17tts is the smallest dog I’ve ever run tbh it’s hard work catering for small dogs needs to get them in the possession to catch. I personally think a medium size dog has it all covered no special needs or help getting them in the right position for runs catch’s 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, poxon said:

I couldn’t imagine how hard it’d be to lamp with one my old 17tts beddy whippet you literally drop her on top of runs on the beam if we were lamping even then she’d have to run twice as hard to cover the same ground as a average size dog because of her size. 17tts is the smallest dog I’ve ever run tbh it’s hard work catering for small dogs needs to get them in the possession to catch. I personally think a medium size dog has it all covered no special needs or help getting them in the right position for runs catch’s 

my beddywhippet bitch is 18 1/2 tts and I have lost count the amount of times she has become unsighted in tall grass, reeds etc,. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, poxon said:

My mrs had a first x patterdale whippet 15 maybe 16 inches this wee thing was mad for the rabbits she caught them daytime and nightime but your right about picking them up putting them in your coat pocket after a night out run itself to a standstill if u let it ... would I get one for lamping no danger and I bet that wer bitch was more robust than an ig..... my mate had a collie x same time and this wee bitch had more hares than that collie x over there life spans haha wee Sadie mad as a box of frogs she was .... 

• Like 1

Italian Greyhounds are a toy breed, why would anyone want to use one as a base in lurcher breeding ? Surely a whippet is a far better choice ?

No one would dream of using a Toy Yorkshire Terrier as a base for a fox digging Terrier........would they ?

Cheers.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, jackthelad said:

My mrs had a first x patterdale whippet 15 maybe 16 inches this wee thing was mad for the rabbits she caught them daytime and nightime but your right about picking them up putting them in your coat pocket after a night out run itself to a standstill if u let it ... would I get one for lamping no danger and I bet that wer bitch was more robust than an ig..... my mate had a collie x same time and this wee bitch had more hares than that collie x over there life spans haha wee Sadie mad as a box of frogs she was .... 

AND, a first x whippet/patterdale is going to be a LOT different to an italian greyhound/beddy.

• Like 1