Italian Greyhounds (and crosses)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are a Toy breed. Useless for any hunting. Biggest health problem with them is breaking their legs jumping off the sofa. If you want a "mini greyhound" get a Whippet ? Cheers.

An Australian Borzoi, Im sure the owner won't mind me posting the pic, in fact, I think he may be a member on here; A UK Borzoi I judged at a show some years ago; Cheers.

Believe it or not, I will be more than likely jumped on , but this Italian stops plenty rabbits, it had plenty  of drive ,it’s crazy when it gets a scent but the same as last time this topic arose ,th

Posted Images

Yep, i am allergic to dogs and both fur and saliva can cause me problems. Though it lessens with my own dogs and provided i follow basic steps i'm fine.

That may not be the case with others who have 'pet' allergies BUT you really wont know until you give it a go..! There are no 'rules' with pet allergies as in what type of dog is 'better' but breeds that shed less are prefferable, same with coat types. Breeds like poodles & bedlingtons softer coats are easier on the skin than short coats like on a Stafford BUT dependent on how much you want to live with it, you've just gotta try. My love of dogs pushed me through as a kid but that was tough. Back then i had to have weekly injections, for years...

Thankfully things will have moved on but there is no better way of easing this allergy, other than getting used to it...

4 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Yes mate, I agree!

in Australia they use borzoi and Ibizan in their dogs, but they are not quite the same as the KC stuff we have here.

Cheers.

I've heard of a couple of Borzoi crosses here that were good fox dogs and even pretty good on rabbits. Also one big name pig hunter that shot a whole litter of the cross because he thought they were useless, the dogs were only 6months old and the bloke is a total arsehole for not giving them some time.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I've heard of a couple of Borzoi crosses here that were good fox dogs and even pretty good on rabbits. Also one big name pig hunter that shot a whole litter of the cross because he thought they were useless, the dogs were only 6months old and the bloke is a total arsehole for not giving them some time.

Different rules in Australia ? you guys hve working ebt and Great Danes, and wolf hound blood ..... and most of the other stuff we long screwed up or never had working in the first place! 

On 17/07/2021 at 15:08, Scheme_Lakeland said:

I was out a wander with the pup yesterday and came across two beautiful retired greyhounds. I've always loved them and these are probably the first I've seen in person. 

Unfortunately, due to their size and the allergy problem we wouldn't ever be able to own greyhounds. We could have the smaller, hypoallergenic Italian greyhounds though. Are they any use at catching anything? I've heard they're fragile, could this be fixed by breeding them with a hardier dog like a terrier or similar? 

Hi bro Italian greyhounds as your aware are honesty very small in confirmation and relatively low in height ive never heard of their working abilities.why not consider putting it to a good well balanced keen purebred coursing hard grit whippet and then in the near future consider ? putting your Italian x whippet across a purebred greyhound of for instance 27inches to the withers plan things first even ? if initially done by means of pen and paper good ? luck 

55 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Different rules in Australia ? you guys hve working ebt and Great Danes, and wolf hound blood ..... and most of the other stuff we long screwed up or never had working in the first place! 

Probably came from the same stock originally, that's why I think a lot of breeds could be resurrected. Just we have a lot of land and feral animals here. Some use cross, say dane/wolfhound from non workers and pick up the pig hunting pretty quick. I don't think pigs are a challenge in a way as you can use anything really. Those big running dogs take ages to mature and a lot of pig hunters expect too much from pups. I'd say tens of thousands are shot young when they could have made great dogs in time as with the Borzoi litter.

You need to step carefully with this particular cross very fragile and they are very often in a veterinary surgery  due to their limbs getting busted i would have thought that they would make terrific little ratters but considering they are so dainty and subsequently not well boned to bolt a full flighted small conie id personality  put it across a strong well balanced whippet that stands 19 or 20 inches to the withers and subsequently further more select a hard gtit whippet in order to proceed  in future by you ? putting  it to a flighty relatively small purebred greyhound I wish you luck!!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rudeboy 1 said:

with this particular cross very fragile and they are very often in a veterinary surgery  due to their limbs getting busted 

So why would you even consider breeding of one to try and use in the field Carl 

• Like 1