Italian Greyhounds (and crosses)

1 minute ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

you seem a bit upset here pal. I was asking because I've never used a dog to hunt rabbits in my life and the allergies aren't mine, its people in my family. The most work the terrier will ever be asked to do from me is rats, i have no need for any type of earth work with her, i live in a council flat and just need a dog that can help out with the constant rat problem.

No I’m not upset. It’s just seems like your looking for an answer to a question, which you’ve already made your mind up on. In my opinion, if you live in a flat, you probably shouldn’t own a Lurcher. They like space, garden, fresh air etc, but that’s just my opinion. I’d just use your mates dog to chase rabbits, that way you get the fun, without the hassle. 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are a Toy breed. Useless for any hunting. Biggest health problem with them is breaking their legs jumping off the sofa. If you want a "mini greyhound" get a Whippet ? Cheers.

An Australian Borzoi, Im sure the owner won't mind me posting the pic, in fact, I think he may be a member on here; A UK Borzoi I judged at a show some years ago; Cheers.

Believe it or not, I will be more than likely jumped on , but this Italian stops plenty rabbits, it had plenty  of drive ,it’s crazy when it gets a scent but the same as last time this topic arose ,th

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, moonlighter said:

No I’m not upset. It’s just seems like your looking for an answer to a question, which you’ve already made your mind up on. In my opinion, if you live in a flat, you probably shouldn’t own a Lurcher. They like space, garden, fresh air etc, but that’s just my opinion. I’d just use your mates dog to chase rabbits, that way you get the fun, without the hassle. 

i agree that i probably shouldn't own one. i wouldn't say I had made my mind up but I was hoping there would be a way that i could toughen up one of these dogs and give me a chance at the pocket sized kind of lurcher that would suit my needs, unfortunately it looks like it'll have to wait.

I definitely have been jumping the gun a little on these things but i'll have to be patient and wait until I can have the sort of lifestyle/area that would suit a proper running dog like that

as for my mates dog, it looks a fragile wee thing so i might have to give it some time before i can try that, last thing i want is vet bills for a broken leg

Edited by Scheme_Lakeland
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

i agree that i probably shouldn't own one. i wouldn't say I had made my mind up but I was hoping there would be a way that i could toughen up one of these dogs and give me a chance at the pocket sized kind of lurcher that would suit my needs, unfortunately it looks like it'll have to wait.

I definitely have been jumping the gun a little on these things but i'll have to be patient and wait until I can have the sort of lifestyle/area that would suit a proper running dog like that

How much more pocket size do you need that a terrier x whippet ? 

30 minutes ago, moonlighter said:

If you’ve a mate who’s got one, then get out and see what it’s about.. there’s no point asking on here. Your after a dog that won’t upset your allergies, so it’s working abilities are much further down your list. And what hunting are you really going to do? Chase a few rabbits? If that’s the case any dog will do, find the prettiest dog you can. If your going to use your terrier for digging, ditch the harness and buy a spade and locator, and if your after a Lurcher for some graft, then get a Lurcher bred for work, not one that’s bred for not shedding hair. 

You know, that's not far off the mark.  No disrespect to scheme - lakeland, but how can a whippet or italian greyhound trigger any conditions he/she they might have, but a lakeland terrier doesn't?!  Doesn't make much sense to me!

2 minutes ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

are the lurchers as 'busy' in the house as a terrier? woman i know that breeds racing greyhounds say they take up pretty much no space cause they sleep all day 

All pups are hyper! But if I dog is goosed it tends to be pretty chilled in the house. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, shaaark said:

You know, that's not far off the mark.  No disrespect to scheme - lakeland, but how can a whippet or italian greyhound trigger any conditions he/she they might have, but a lakeland terrier doesn't?!  Doesn't make much sense to me!

no sense to me either, as far as i know italian greyhounds dont shed and neither do lakelands but i also think its a matter of whether the fur is more hairlike than fur like. 

3 minutes ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

no sense to me either, as far as i know italian greyhounds dont shed and neither do lakelands but i also think its a matter of whether the fur is more hairlike than fur 

Ok mate, sorry for wasting your time.  ?

5 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Ok mate, sorry for wasting your time.  ?

its a fair question and I've asked lots to try and figure it out myself but some people say the allergy is in the drool and its when a dog licks themsleves that causes it, others say its in the shedding, some say its from the dander 

2 minutes ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

its a fair question and I've asked lots to try and figure it out myself but some people say the allergy is in the drool and its when a dog licks themsleves that causes it, others say its in the shedding, some say its from the dander 

Now, I have heard off a couple of people that the drool is the main problem.  I wouldn't know, and to be honest, I've never looked it up, never having suffered with ANY alergic reaction.

Anyway, hope you can come to a satisfactory decision to it all.  ?

• Like 1