Italian Greyhounds (and crosses)

3 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I don't know about that.....a bloke brought a pair of Ibizan Hounds to our track, and he bragged how fast they were and how many hares they caught.

I gave them a run up and it was embarrassing ! I could have run faster ! ? !

Yeah, they race Italian Greyhounds on the Continent, but they also race Borzoi, Afghans, and those weird Whippet/Borzoi crosses, "Silken Windhounds"........none of which you'd kennel if you had any interesting in hunting! ? !

Cheers.

Lol you are correct charts.  But the fact that owners of those dogs can take them to a track and race them, has to be a positive step, rather than letting those breeds slip into obscurity, and ultimately, uselessness?!

• Like 3

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are a Toy breed. Useless for any hunting. Biggest health problem with them is breaking their legs jumping off the sofa. If you want a "mini greyhound" get a Whippet ? Cheers.

An Australian Borzoi, Im sure the owner won't mind me posting the pic, in fact, I think he may be a member on here; A UK Borzoi I judged at a show some years ago; Cheers.

Believe it or not, I will be more than likely jumped on , but this Italian stops plenty rabbits, it had plenty  of drive ,it’s crazy when it gets a scent but the same as last time this topic arose ,th

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I don't know about that.....a bloke brought a pair of Ibizan Hounds to our track, and he bragged how fast they were and how many hares they caught.

I gave them a run up and it was embarrassing ! I could have run faster ! ? !

Yeah, they race Italian Greyhounds on the Continent, but they also race Borzoi, Afghans, and those weird Whippet/Borzoi crosses, "Silken Windhounds"........none of which you'd kennel if you had any interesting in hunting! ? !

Cheers.

Same as Richie,pharaoh hounds the same..

1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Lol you are correct charts.  But the fact that owners of those dogs can take them to a track and race them, has to be a positive step, rather than letting those breeds slip into obscurity, and ultimately, uselessness?!

Yes mate, I agree!

in Australia they use borzoi and Ibizan in their dogs, but they are not quite the same as the KC stuff we have here.

Cheers.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Worse than show type afghans? I have found borzois don't seem to mind biting people if they feel like it but I used to know a couple with rescue afghans and they'd take some beating.

I've handslipped a few borzois and never had a problem,a bit aloof maybe but no aggression..had wheaten,bull and beddy crosses have a pop..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

I saw one take a hare, after a 200 yard slip, a few years ago.  Ground was particularly wet and boggy, so much so that I didn't actually think the dog stood much of a chance, but by god, this dog dug in, you could practically see the immense prey drive and power, kicking in with each stride, and the longer the course went on, you sort of knew 'that hare's in the bag'.

Was a privelidge to see such a dog run.

Hail the iggy!  ?

Really ?

I seen a woman walking one yesterday an it looked like it would of struggled taking a dwarf lop let alone a hare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

An Australian Borzoi, Im sure the owner won't mind me posting the pic, in fact, I think he may be a member on here;IMG_0119.JPG.a9fcb68ae4a31d4afe531225006a68fb.JPG

A UK Borzoi I judged at a show some years ago;

IMG_0168.JPG.8bf1c642bb86cc6a37fb191e4de43c00.JPG

Cheers.

Difference is quite marked, charts.  Similar sort of  thing with a lot of working types vs show types.

2 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Really ?

I seen a woman walking one yesterday an it looked like it would of struggled taking a dwarf lop let alone a hare.

Lol I was taking the piss mate mate, hoping for a bite off Magoo!!

Seen a couple of  iggy bitches not too long ago.  Got into conversation with the owner, and she said the main thing with them, was the fact that they have a lot of tooth problems, with their jaws being so small, and a few eye issues.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

nah i'm only kidding, have a friend with one though.. might get us some first hand information on letting it have a go at some rabbits

Yeah be good that mate.  But in all seriousness, as a few of the other fellas have said, I can't really see 'most' iggies coping with pretty uneven terrain and having the strength to cope with even a half grown rabbit.

Will have no problem being proved otherwise though.  ?

2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Yeah be good that mate.  But in all seriousness, as a few of the other fellas have said, I can't really see 'most' iggies coping with pretty uneven terrain and having the strength to cope with even a half grown rabbit.

Will have no problem being proved otherwise though.  ?

i agree, it is a shame because they are so good with allergies but as most people have said it looks like a waste of time

If you’ve a mate who’s got one, then get out and see what it’s about.. there’s no point asking on here. Your after a dog that won’t upset your allergies, so it’s working abilities are much further down your list. And what hunting are you really going to do? Chase a few rabbits? If that’s the case any dog will do, find the prettiest dog you can. If your going to use your terrier for digging, ditch the harness and buy a spade and locator, and if your after a Lurcher for some graft, then get a Lurcher bred for work, not one that’s bred for not shedding hair. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, moonlighter said:

If you’ve a mate who’s got one, then get out and see what it’s about.. there’s no point asking on here. Your after a dog that won’t upset your allergies, so it’s working abilities are much further down your list. And what hunting are you really going to do? Chase a few rabbits? If that’s the case any dog will do, find the prettiest dog you can. If your going to use your terrier for digging, ditch the harness and buy a spade and locator, and if your after a Lurcher for some graft, then get a Lurcher bred for work, not one that’s bred for not shedding hair. 

you seem a bit upset here pal. I was asking because I've never used a dog to hunt rabbits in my life and the allergies aren't mine, its people in my family. The most work the terrier will ever be asked to do from me is rats, i have no need for any type of earth work with her, i live in a council flat and just need a dog that can help out with the constant rat problem.