Italian Greyhounds (and crosses)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are a Toy breed. Useless for any hunting. Biggest health problem with them is breaking their legs jumping off the sofa. If you want a "mini greyhound" get a Whippet ? Cheers.

An Australian Borzoi, Im sure the owner won't mind me posting the pic, in fact, I think he may be a member on here; A UK Borzoi I judged at a show some years ago; Cheers.

Believe it or not, I will be more than likely jumped on , but this Italian stops plenty rabbits, it had plenty  of drive ,it’s crazy when it gets a scent but the same as last time this topic arose ,th

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TonyT said:

Bit fine for me.

if you cross em to add a bit of bone , you might as well have 

a working whippet ?

ATB Tony

Seems it’ll be beddy whippet for me 

1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

My two Penney’s is I’ve seen several threads of the op and to save you wasted time an money don’t bother

i went through a faze of weird an wonderful cross breeds for bushing an none panned out well 

If you really want to go ahead buy a whippet an use some form of antihistamines or what ever anti allergy meds you can .least your get good chance of a rabbit an ratter .

A shame but I suppose that’s life 

12 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Was a lad I knew a few years back was big into whippets, peddling them mostly but he had an accidental lol litter of whippet x Italian greyhounds an they wasnt as delicate as most are saying, the pure ones are tiny tho, what fcuk you gonna do with a mouse hound ?

Lol, true my sister in law just bought one, from  handicapped horse rider who won few gold medals, this waste of dog cost £2 grand per pup, what waste of money, she could have had nice whippet grey pup, or a beddyx whippet for lot less, and be more healthy, 

1 hour ago, Scheme_Lakeland said:

I’ve seen a good few of them, only worry was how much space they’d take up as I know terriers can feel like they’re everywhere all the time in a house 

Each to their own. Place would be empty without dogs imo ?

• Like 2

We've had half a dozen or so come to our racing club over the years...very slow very fragile and very sensitive..tbh there's absolutely nothing about them I'd want in a working dog...why would allergies not be a problem with IG but problem  with whippet?

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, northern lad said:

We've had half a dozen or so come to our racing club over the years...very slow very fragile and very sensitive..tbh there's absolutely nothing about them I'd want in a working dog...why would allergies not be a problem with IG but problem  with whippet?

That’s the politest way of saying their shite I’ve ever seen on here.

• Haha 4
30 minutes ago, northern lad said:

Not a clue I’m not very informed on it, just that they’ve been recommended a lot for being really good with allergies, think maybe they don’t shed or something like that 

I saw one take a hare, after a 200 yard slip, a few years ago.  Ground was particularly wet and boggy, so much so that I didn't actually think the dog stood much of a chance, but by god, this dog dug in, you could practically see the immense prey drive and power, kicking in with each stride, and the longer the course went on, you sort of knew 'that hare's in the bag'.

Was a privelidge to see such a dog run.

Hail the iggy!  ?

2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I saw one take a hare, after a 200 yard slip, a few years ago.  Ground was particularly wet and boggy, so much so that I didn't actually think the dog stood much of a chance, but by god, this dog dug in, you could practically see the immense prey drive and power, kicking in with each stride, and the longer the course went on, you sort of knew 'that hare's in the bag'.

Hail the iggy!  ?

Yeah, but that was a "Merlin & Eve" Iggy ! ? !

Cheers.

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Hail the iggy!  ?

this is a good start to me getting one and it breaking its leg on its first walk

2 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

That’s the politest way of saying their shite I’ve ever seen on here.

?don't like slating anybodys dog or breed etc..I've handslipped and trapped just about every type of lurcher/pure bred runner..these and borzois by far the worst..

9 minutes ago, northern lad said:

?don't like slating anybodys dog or breed etc..I've handslipped and trapped just about every type of lurcher/pure bred runner..these and borzois by far the worst..

I don't know about that.....a bloke brought a pair of Ibizan Hounds to our track, and he bragged how fast they were and how many hares they caught.

I gave them a run up and it was embarrassing ! I could have run faster ! ? !

Yeah, they race Italian Greyhounds on the Continent, but they also race Borzoi, Afghans, and those weird Whippet/Borzoi crosses, "Silken Windhounds"........none of which you'd kennel if you had any interesting in hunting! ? !

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, northern lad said:

Worse than show type afghans? I have found borzois don't seem to mind biting people if they feel like it but I used to know a couple with rescue afghans and they'd take some beating.